Inflation in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
whitedesire

Inflation in Thailand

Post by whitedesire »

.... just wondered, if this is a problem in Thailand.

On visits, I haven't noticed petrol gone up that much, certainly not at a all time high. Hotels, not really, food, not too sure. Thoughts.

In Malaysia, Marks and Sparks used to sell 4 breaded fish for around RM40 (I will do it local money), but now RM77, outrageous!

What about Thailand? Any examples. As I say, I haven't noticed on my visits.
Gaybutton

Re: Inflation in Thailand

Post by Gaybutton »

I've noticed prices going up in grocery stores, but not by very much. I have not spotted any changes in any restaurants I've been to. Thai street food prices have not changed.

Fuel prices have gone up more than anything else I've noticed. Before the Russia-Ukraine conflict it would cost about 900 baht to fill my car. Even from nearly empty it was always less than 1000 baht. Just yesterday I filled the car when the fuel level was down to about ¼ and now it was 1300 baht.

The inflation I've noticed is mainly fuel and grocery store prices. Other than those I have not personally noticed much inflation - at least not yet.
puan

Post by puan »

Gas prices have gone up dramatically. Fuel #91 is now at 42.7 baht / liter. Equating to approx $5.02 per gallon.

Utilities costs have also increased. Expected rise during first half of year is 4.6% over same period last year.

In grocery stores, I have noticed "creeping" inflation. That is to say a steady price increase on many items over the last several months. Most significant are the price increases on eggs, chicken, pork, and cooking oil. Also there seems to be an adoption of the "shrinking size" phenomenon found in the west where prices stay the same or increase slightly, but the size decreases. Found in Makro today, a pouch of laundry detergent that I use has increased by about 10 baht AND the pouch size has quietly gone from 3,000 grams to 2,700 grams.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

puan wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:19 am Found in Makro today, a pouch of laundry detergent that I use has increased by about 10 baht AND the pouch size has quietly gone from 3,000 grams to 2,700 grams.
Just like the USA - pay more, get less.

I think you're right about "creeping inflation". Prices go up so gradually that you may not even notice. I have no objection if there are legitimate reasons for price rises, but I wish they were honest about it instead of trying to cleverly sneak it in.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I've noticed the same thing in food stores - where the prices on many items seems to be creeping up. Gas, as others have already mentioned, is noticeably higher.

I'm not sure if it's due to inflation or what, but I was looking at booking a resort on Koh Samet for a few nights in June and noticed that the rates have skyrocketed. Places that used to charge 1,200 baht/ngt are now charging over 2,000 baht...ugh!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:45 pm Places that used to charge 1,200 baht/ngt are now charging over 2,000 baht...ugh!
Maybe since they're hoping for an influx of tourists beginning within the next several days, now it's price gouging time . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:21 pm Maybe since they're hoping for an influx of tourists beginning within the next several days, now it's price gouging time . . .
Hotel prices have been heavily discounted for some time. Obviously they need to remove the discounts as fast as the market will bear. However, with China closed off & high oil prices, it's very unlikely that total demand would to return to pre-covid levels any time soon.
I don't see how they could make price rises above pre-covid levels stick.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:20 pm I don't see how they could make price rises above pre-covid levels stick.
Apparently some hotels are going to try anyway. If that's what they're doing, I think they're making a big mistake.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Today, July 4, I filled the fuel tank of my car. It still had greater than half a tank. Filling it the rest of the way was 900 baht, even. That amounts to about US $25. Filling my tank from empty would now cost about 1800 baht - about US $50.

Only a month or so ago I could fill the tank from empty for about 800 baht - about US $23.

I starting to notice significant inflation in the grocery stores too. From the looks of it, I'm expecting things to get worse before they get better - if they get better.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:03 pm Only a month or so ago I could fill the tank from empty for about 800 baht - about US $23.
Thailand has it easy, so far.
In the UK, I recently failed to fill the tank, since the maximum transaction on the Tesco "pay at the pump" is £99, which didn't allow me to brim it. THB 4281.

Diesel is the equivalent of 86 baht per litre, obviously with far more tax.