Pattaya's Mayor election - May 22 - what it means for foreigners

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Pattaya's Mayor election - May 22 - what it means for foreigners

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p

Re: Pattaya's Mayor election - May 22 - what it means for foreigners

Post by 2lz2p »

There will also be an alcohol ban from 6pm Saturday to 6pm Sunday. Under Thailand's Alcoholic Beverage law, election days have a 24 hour ban on sale of alcohol.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Whether there will or will not be an alcohol ban, whether people will or will not pay any attention to it, no matter which candidate wins and becomes Pattaya's newest mayor, I, for one, will be very happy once it's over. That is because the campaign advertising trucks with their loudspeakers blaring, come around many times each day - sometimes as early as 6:30am.

With American TV it's the flooding with campaign commercials. In Thailand, it's those advertising trucks. I will be happy to bid them an "un-fond" farewell (or better still "farepoorly") . . .

2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Article from The Pattaya News:

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/18/r ... g-weekend/

Reminder: Elections in Pattaya will see alcohol sales bans this upcoming weekend

With this election also comes, by Thai law, a ban on alcohol sales in voting jurisdictions from 6:00 P.M. the evening before, Saturday May 21st, until polls close, 6:00 P.M. Sunday.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:16 am
That is because the campaign advertising trucks with their loudspeakers blaring, come around many times each day - sometimes as early as 6:30am.
I find that very odd.
If an advertiser showed up at my house with loudspeakers blaring, I'd make a point of not buying their product & would consider telling them why.
If they did that at 6:30 am, even more so.

Do Thais have a different attitude to this ? Or are the people arranging the advertising stupid ?

Reminds me of one Saturday in Japan, where I noticed someone going around the neighbourhood making an announcement from a small pick up.
Of course, I had no clue about what they were saying.
Then, when I went out into town, I noticed the train was unusually empty.
Then, the rain started getting worse. I took shelter in Starbucks, as the typhoon came though. I even got to watch the rain going down the street horizontally and then around the corner of the building.

Of course, that mobile PA system was delivering a warning & actually had some benefit to society.

Unlike Thailand, where there is little evidence that such campaigning leads to any benefit to society. Such as better governance. I don't understand why it's allowed.

What I do know is that if I ever live in Thailand permanently, an investment in some thick laminated glass for my bedroom could make sense.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:22 pm
I find that very odd.
It's not just them. I've been meaning to post about this and always forget, so please forgive me for veering off topic a little bit.

Vendors in trucks - usually converted baht buses - selling their wares come around every day. That doesn't bother me because they don't start early in the morning and they stop in the late afternoon. They're selling everything from fruit to awnings. You name it - if you can think of it, sooner or later someone will be coming around selling it.

For me the odd part is not their presence. It's their speed. Nearly all of them go by slowly, but nowhere near slowly enough. By the time I can get from wherever I am in the house to the door outside, most of the time they've already rounded the corner and disappeared. I've asked several Thai friends why they do that. So far nobody seems to know. There have been many times I'm interested in what they're selling, but believe me - if you're not out there to flag them down within 15 seconds or so, too late - they're gone - and I'm not about to go chasing after them. I think they're very likely losing a lot of money because of that and all they would need to do is slow down a little.

I would at least try explaining that to them in case they haven't figured it out - that is if I could catch them . . .

Maybe you can figure it out. I gave up trying quite some time ago.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:05 pm
It's not just them. I've been meaning to post about this and always forget, so please forgive me for veering off topic a little bit.
Don't worry, the election topic has been done & in any case, I suspect the moderator might overlook it ;)
There's an election, in which we can't vote. Next mayor likely to be just as bad. Most importantly, bars closed. Unless you want to dissect the manifestos, it's done.

I've also noticed vendors driving around selling things. For example, bags full of oranges. About the only thing I understood was the price, which if it was for a full bag didn't look bad. Of course, you can't see the oranges until the pick up has gone past, but I suppose those who understand Thai get advanced notice.
With any luck, high oil prices might discourage such wasteful selling practices.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:21 am
Of course, you can't see the oranges until the pick up has gone past, but I suppose those who understand Thai get advanced notice.
With any luck, high oil prices might discourage such wasteful selling practices.
Good point. They deal with that by having someone sitting in the rear of the vehicle to spot anyone flagging them down. Most also use their loudspeakers to announce what is approaching, but again even with that they still go by too fast to get out there to buy whatever it is.

As for fruits and vegetables, yes the price is for the whole bag or by the kilo. One positive is every time I actually made it outside in time to buy what they're selling, the quality has always been very good - often much better than you would find in grocery stores. I also have never been cheated. If they tell me it's a kilo, it really is a kilo. They're not the only ones with a scale. I weigh the bag on my own scale and verify.

If the oil prices are going to discourage them, it hasn't happened yet - at least not in my neighborhood.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:30 am
I also have never been cheated. If they tell me it's a kilo, it really is a kilo. They're not the only ones with a scale. I weigh the bag on my own scale and verify.
Trust & verify.

Excluding a few risky sectors, like tuk tuk drivers, I think the odds of being cheated in Thailand on every day transactions are very low.