Thailand produces its own Covid vaccine

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Thailand produces its own Covid vaccine

Post by Gaybutton »

I hope it works and will be truly safe and effective. If and when Thailand makes it available, I will place a post under "Announcements".

First lot of local Covid vaccine produced

Chula researchers say jab more effective than Pfizer, approval possible by year-end

7 May, 2022

The first batch of ChulaCov19, the first messenger-RNA vaccine developed in Thailand, has been produced and is awaiting Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for the first two phases of human trials, a government spokesperson said on Saturday.

The first lot of the Covid-19 vaccine developed by Chulalongkorn University researchers was produced by Thailand-based BioNet-Asia Co Ltd. If all trial results meet the requirements, the vaccine is expected to be registered for use by the end of this year, deputy government spokeswoman Rachada Dhnadirek said.

According to the Chula Vaccine Research Center, ChulaCov19 is safe and has a higher efficacy than the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine against the coronavirus. The Pfizer vaccine has an efficacy of 95% against symptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Production of the vaccine was supported by 2.31 billion baht in funding approved by the cabinet in November last year.

“The government wants Thailand to be a country capable of creating, conducting research and development and producing its own vaccine, which is in accordance with its 10-year strategic plan to become a medical hub (by 2026),” Ms Rachada said.

“The goal was set before the Covid-19 pandemic began, and by becoming a vaccine production centre, more Thai people will have access to the vaccine.”

Ms Rachada said ChulaCov19 had passed two preliminary stages of trials on volunteers, with lab results showing safe, effective responses to the virus. “The antibodies generated by ChulaCov19 were higher than from Pfizer vaccines used in Thailand,” she said, quoting the Chula Vaccine Research Centre.

Thailand will pursue domestic production of the vaccine in the next phase of the project, she added.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... e-produced
Jun

Re: Thailand produces its own Covid vaccine

Post by Jun »

The newspaper article states this is awaiting FDA approval for the first 2 phases of human trials. So if those trials are not complete, how can they claim it has higher efficacy than the Pfizer-Biontech vaccine ? Where is the data ?

To calculate efficacy, reasonably reliably, they probably need well over 100 COVID cases in the placebo group of a double blind trial. Which therefore might need a few thousand people in the trial.
Also, to compare with Pfizer on a like for like basis, they presumably need to find thousands of unvaccinated people to participate in the trial?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 3:39 pm they presumably need to find thousands of unvaccinated people to participate in the trial?
I'm guessing they intend to use it as a booster and also sell it to other countries. Knowing as little as I do, considering there already is AstraZeneca, Pfizer, and Moderna, even if this works as they claim, isn't it coming a little late? The only practical use I can see for it is if it prevents variants that the others don't prevent.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:25 pm I'm guessing they intend to use it as a booster and also sell it to other countries. Knowing as little as I do, considering there already is AstraZeneca, Pfizer, and Moderna, even if this works as they claim, isn't it coming a little late? The only practical use I can see for it is if it prevents variants that the others don't prevent.
I'm sure it will be used as a booster. However, if they are comparing efficacy with Pfizer, surely that needs like for like data as proof of the claims ?

I agree that it's late. Thanks to a surplus of vaccines, even other vaccines already obtaining approval now are not selling well.
However, as you say, if the Thai version is optimised for more recent variants, it may have a role. Also, a little competitive pressure to force Pfizer to further develop their vaccine and keep prices sensible would be good.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:45 pm a little competitive pressure to force Pfizer to further develop their vaccine and keep prices sensible would be good.
Unless the Thai vaccine becomes a major competitor, I don't see very much pressure on Pfizer or any of the others.

Another guess - I have a feeling Thailand is looking toward the Chinese market more than anywhere else.