Which bars are open?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Which bars are open?

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:01 pm
far out into the boonies
The boonies? Is that where you think I live? Is that what you think "The Dark Side" is? It must be a very long time since you were out here. As a matter of fact, have you ever been out here? Come out here and see for yourself - and then tell me all about how "The Dark Side" is the boonies.

A few gay beer bars and go-go bars would likely do very well out here.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 4:11 pm
As a matter of fact, have you ever been out here? Come out here and see for yourself - and then tell me all about how "The Dark Side" is the boonies.
A few gay beer bars and go-go bars would likely do very well out here.
I have ventured across the railway lines, which I think counts as visiting the Dark Side.

Getting there is something of a challenge, since as far as I know, it's not on any of the standard baht bus routes, but if there is a functioning public transport system, do enlighten me.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:51 pm
but if there is a functioning public transport system, do enlighten me.
The last time I checked, motorbike taxis are still public transport. So is getting rides to and from with GRAB.

Who said gay bars on "The Dark Side" would be meant for holiday makers staying in the Pattaya part of Pattaya? Maybe you don't think there is enough of a gay population on "The Dark Side" to support gay bars, and that it would be supplemented by gay expats living in Thailand who do have their own transportation.

You crossed the railway line and consider that a serious trip to "The Dark Side" and think you now know what it's like here? Give me a break. You might as well say, "Oh yes, I've been to and know the area. My dog peed there once."

If you really want to know what "The Dark Side" is all about, next time you're in Pattaya contact me. I'll give you a personal guided tour. Wouldn't that make more sense than trying to say you truly know anything about it - at all?

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I live in Pattaya almost 20 years and have been to the “Dark Side” twice once to have a nice meal with GB however, there is no reason to go there and It is totally different than the Pattaya most know, so much so that it should in my opinion be an entity unto itself. Few expats I know have ever ventured there and certainly even fewer tourists.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:11 pm
If you really want to know what "The Dark Side" is all about, next time you're in Pattaya contact me. I'll give you a personal guided tour. Wouldn't that make more sense than trying to say you truly know anything about it - at all?
What I do know is it's a much longer walk from the centre of Pattaya than Sunee, Boyztown or Jomtien.

Thank you for the kind invitation. I'll accept that and let you know when I'm coming to Pattaya next.

Then I might eventually stop confusing "The Dark Side" with "The Far Side"

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 9:50 pm
there is no reason to go there
If you're a holiday maker seeking only the bars and the beach, I agree. There is no specific gay scene on "The Dark Side" - yet . . .

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:23 am
There is no specific gay scene on "The Dark Side" - yet . . .
I look forward to you, or some other entrepreneur opening "The Dark Side Bar". But I'm not holding my breath.
If, for example, it managed to mix in the boys and style of Euroboys gogo, with the smut of Eros, it would even be worth the trek.

Having said that, I generally prefer the idea of gogo bars concentrated in one or two locations.
Back in the days when we had gogo bars, having them Boyztown & Sunee, just 10 minutes walk apart was far more convenient than having them spread all over the place like in Chiang Mai.

Having host bars concentrated tends to work well too, as in somewhere like Jomtien one can sit at a bar and observe what's going on in several nearby bars. There's the slight disadvantage that whoever you off is seen by the other boys on the soi. So it's best to be totally honest about one's butterfly status.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 5:02 pm
I look forward to you, or some other entrepreneur opening "The Dark Side Bar". But I'm not holding my breath.
ME?!?!? Open a bar?!?!?!? It's a good thing you're not holding your breath for that one. I've done my share of stupid things in my life - some might say opening this board was one of them - but open a bar? Thankfully I'm not that stupid . . .

Jun

Post by Jun »

I doubt any members here are in a hurry to open a bar. Certainly not me. Which is one reason why I'm not expecting any gay bars on The Dark Side soon. We're all hoping someone else opens the bars for us.

If I open a business, I'd be expecting to earn a profit and wouldn't want to be in any line of business where the BIB can show up and cream off my profits.

However, I won't use the word stupid in describing bar owners, as at least a couple of them appear to be running their bars a lifestyle businesses, where they don't appear to mind if they make a profit or not. This is not stupid if you definitely have enough money to fund all this.
After all, if you won a large sum on the lottery, which would be the most fun ? Spending a small proportion of the winnings opening a gogo bar, or buying a Ferrari ?
I'd rather watch prancing gogo boys than a prancing horse.

Also, as a bar customer, it's good that someone makes an effort.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I agree with every word Jun wrote in his post above.