Which bars are open?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Lefty

Re: Which bars are open?

Post by Lefty »

GB, I've been told by another friend there that Sunee has been like a ghost town for quite a while. Even before Covid. That rather saddens me because I really liked the ambiance of Sunee Plaza.
In your educated best guess will it ever recover?

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Lefty wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:08 am
In your educated best guess will it ever recover?
That is a very difficult guess, even an educated one. I'll tell you what I think, but anyone who decides to chime on on this will have their own opinions.

My guess is Sunee Plaza can recover, but I doubt it will resemble "the golden years" in the foreseeable future, if ever. There are far too many variables. I think whether it will recover depends primarily on how many go-go bars will open or reopen, how many boys will work in them, the ambiance of them, the prices, how many customers will return to Pattaya, what the rules will be - Covid and otherwise, police harassment, etc.

Your information is correct. Sunee Plaza started on a downward spiral long before any one of us ever heard of Covid. My opinion is that began the day Crabby and Thomas left Corner Bar. After that more and more bars began to go out of business despite the efforts to keep it all going. Some of you may remember the "White Parties". I thought those were essentially failures, never achieving the hoped for results. Don't forget, the go-go bars in Sunee Plaza ranged from virtually anything goes to look, but don't touch. I think many reading this topic know which bars I'm referring to. Guess which was the most successful . . .

I would love to see Sunee Plaza become what it once was - way back when Sunee Plaza wasn't even big enough to hold all the go-go bars and several started opening in the Soi Day-Night area.

I think an optimist would say Sunee Plaza is at an embryonic rebirth stage.
I think a pessimist would say Sunee Plaza is nearing the end and is in its death throes.

I haven't decided yet which of the two I am, but I am certain of one thing. If Sunee Plaza stands a chance of a true recovery and even begins to resemble what it used to be, then the bar owners better get together and do things that will attract customer numbers and sustain those numbers. I believe the downfall of Sunee Plaza is largely to blame on the fact very few bar owners ever even tried. Those who did at least try made sincere efforts, but doing things individually just didn't work. It needs to be a group effort.

So far it seems that the Jomtien Complex bar owners have sense enough to do that and they are attracting significant customer numbers, even without any go-go bars. Whether Sunee Plaza bar owners will do the same remains to be seen.

Ok, that's my view. I hope others join in on this topic and let us know what YOU think.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Sorry to say for all intents and purposes Sunee is finished and will never recover. Sunee was a wonderful place for sleaze, once the police made up their mind to gradually bring it to its knees it was finished, you won’t be able to adequately judge Boystown until when and if the remaining GoGo bars are able to operate as normal. The complex is gay Pattaya overdone with show bars, drag queens, lip syncing and open air bars largely inhabited by older gents,if by chance you haven’t been to Thailand for some time and you are expecting Jomtien Complex to mirror Sunee of the past you will be sadly mistaken.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:23 pm
(if) you are expecting Jomtien Complex to mirror Sunee of the past you will be sadly mistaken.
I agree. Regarding expectations, I doubt we'll ever again see Pattaya the same as it was 15 or 20 years ago, but if the gay community is willing to change the paradigm of what to expect, then I think Pattaya is still the world's best gay paradise. If there is somewhere to go that is better, I'd like to know where.

I think it won't be very long now before Pattaya's gay scene improves.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Sunee could recover, but to do that, they need to offer something different. Bars with lots of near naked lads would tick that box, since Jomtien doesn't offer that type of fun.
For example, when Winner reopens, it will have something that Jomtien doesn't.
Although I can't stand the place, Nice Boys has some fans and there's no equivalent in Jomtien.
A couple more good gogo bars would help. This probably needs a couple more wealthy bar owners who are happy to run a bar, almost as a hobby, even if it takes a long time to get to profit.

Having said Sunee could recover, the most likely outcome is that it does not.
Gaybutton wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:33 pm
Regarding expectations, I doubt we'll ever again see Pattaya the same as it was 15 or 20 years ago, but if the gay community is willing to change the paradigm of what to expect, then I think Pattaya is still the world's best gay paradise. If there is somewhere to go that is better, I'd like to know where.
Numerous times, when people have criticized Pattaya, I've asked them to name somewhere better. So far, no one has.
Therefore, if there isn't anywhere better, the gay community needs to change it's expectations & get on with it.

Incidentally, I always used to frequent Pattaya's gogo bars primarily to find someone to off. Some entertainment was a pleasant bonus.
Back in 2016, all my boys were from bars.
By 2018, most were from phone apps. There are advantages and disadvantages for the apps, but having defined my needs properly, I find I get better service off lads met via the apps. The only disadvantage of the apps, is not being entirely sure about the appearance. However, there are various ways to solve that problem, so it works out OK.

If most other customers are doing the same, that's fewer off fees and fewer boy drinks sold at a marked up price. Hence bars will struggle.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:07 pm
that's fewer off fees and fewer boy drinks sold at a marked up price. Hence bars will struggle.
The marked up prices, many outrageously so, are high on the list of problems I have with some of the bars. If they want any kind of successful recovery, they better stop doing that. Maybe they still think people going to Thailand for a holiday don't really care much about that. I believe that is wrong. I don't mind the bars trying to turn a profit, but there is a major difference between making a profit and sheer greed.

I don't think many people are going to put up with it anymore. I, for one, certainly won't and between that and the music volume, that is why it has been rare to find me in the go-go bars anymore - and when I do go the music volume quickly drives me out. You want to make more money from me? Easy - turn down the music volume and charge fair prices. Then I'm much more likely to stay longer, buy more drinks, buy "drink for boy" and spend more money in the bar. But give me unreasonably high prices, excessive music volume, and some mama-san starting to try to high pressure me in any way, shape, or form, and all you'll get from me is watching me walk right back out the door. I don't think I'm alone in that. Oh yes - and despite the law, don't forget to permit people to smoke in your bars anyway instead of insisting they step outside. That way you get to watch even more customers walk out the door - and refuse to come back.

Also, what's wrong with getting your dancers to actually dance? Sorry, but I won't be coming to your bar to watch boys on stage doing nothing more than "the one-knee shuffle", staring into their mobile phones, watching only themselves in the mirrors, and paying little or no attention to the customers. Watching the boys on stage having fun also makes it fun for the customers. Watching the boys on stage looking bored to death is not exactly my idea of an enjoyable way to spend the evening - or spend my money.

I keep saying the same thing - bar owners, if you want to succeed, then start changing your ways and start doing things to attract customers. I don't know what good it's doing you to instead be driving away customers.

The current rumor mill has the bars being permitted to reopen as soon as June. Here's your chance, bar owners. Do it right and there may be a true comeback after all. Continue the same pattern and making the same mistakes and you might as well not even bother to open at all. It's YOU, bar owners, who need to make real changes. As Jun says, if you don't make serious changes, you're going to struggle - and fail.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:11 pm
The marked up prices, many outrageously so, are high on the list of problems I have with some of the bars.
In Pattaya, well at least in Jomtien and Sunee, I would suggest the mark up on the boy drinks is reasonable, particularly in instances where the bars pay the boys. They have to make that money back somewhere.
However, where the boys loitering around the bar are freelancers, I don't quite see the justification for higher drinks prices.

Go back about 15 years & the standard method of meeting boys was to visit a bar. Hence lots of trade for the bars. Lots of boy drinks and off fees.
Now with much of the trade having moved online, there's less need to visit bars to pick up boys. So fewer bars.

Certain board contributors have referred to bars full of farang sat drinking together, without the boys. Online hookups would have a lot to do with that.

Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

The several above posts seem to leave out an ingredient that is of utmost importance … Madam Sunee. I have seen her referred to for a couple of decades … for all I know she doesn’t even exist … but the fact is that someone owns the few square blocks we know as Sunee Plaza. Whatever earns the owner the most profit is how the decisions will be made… leveling it then building condos and shopping plazas would certainly be one optimal choice … collecting rent from a couple of dozen renters is another choice as is the current case … an accidental fire catastrophe as we have heard of around the world and collecting the insurance money yet another choice … lots to think about here, remains to be seen.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Daleinpattaya wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:33 am
Madam Sunee. I have seen her referred to for a couple of decades … for all I know she doesn’t even exist
She exists all right. Her office is outside the plaza. I understand several years ago she turned running the business over to her daughter.

Over the past several years there has been a lot of talk about condos and shops being built there. So far that's all it has ever been - rumor mill talk. Even if that is what they had in mind, seems to me under present circumstances it would be foolish to build condos, shops, or anything else, especially at that location.

Which reminds me - I can't remember the last time I was in that area. Did they ever bother to finish the work being done at the Day-Night Hotel?

In any case, we just don't know what to expect.

If Sunee Plaza does sell out, I'm sure there are plenty of other places where the bars could open. How about "The Dark Side" bar owners? Plenty of places to build a bar complex over here. I think most reading this would start screaming if that ever happens, but my response would be "It's about time!"

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:45 pm
If Sunee Plaza does sell out, I'm sure there are plenty of other places where the bars could open. How about "The Dark Side" bar owners? Plenty of places to build a bar complex over here. I think most reading this would start screaming if that ever happens, but my response would be "It's about time!"
There are plenty of places in Pattaya to build a bar complex without going that far out into the boonies :D .
Not just Sunee Plaza, but much of North Pattaya is now a derelict wasteland.