Which bars are open?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Which bars are open?

Post by Gaybutton »

I have not been to any of the bar areas. I have not been to Boyztown, Sunee Plaza, or Jomtien Complex (or Supertown- whatever it is being called these days). But I have been reading bits an pieces on the other boards and hearing a few things from friends.

What I'm not sure about is which bars at any of these areas are actually open. I'd like this topic to be a place to post what you know, such as the names of bars that are open and where they are, what is going on at go-go bars - any dancing? Any shirtless boys and what are they wearing? Drink prices. Off fees. How many boys working at the bars. Operating hours.

Whatever you can tell us would be helpful and appreciated.

And this topic does not have to be limited to Pattaya. What's the story in Bangkok? Chiang Mai? Phuket? Elsewhere?

gerefan

Re: Which bars are open?

Post by gerefan »

I left Thailand one week ago but this information was current at the time.

Jomtien
All bars open*. Too numerous to count but at least 25 bars last time I counted as I walked through the Plaza.

* I believe Doubleshot has since closed.

About 6 bars have shows. Drink prices for Singha beer about 90 baht, but more at show bars

Probably about 5 dedicated restaurants and many bars genuinely sell food.
4 or 5 hotels open.

Sunee Plaza
About 4 beer bars open. Very few customers anywhere. Beer about 90 baht.
Nice boys (the only operating Gogo bar) occasionally open.

No restaurants

No hotels

Boyztown
5 bars open. No gogo bars open.
Bars are Panorama, Serene, Castro, BBB and the bar which replaced Oscars.
A (loud) show in the street each evening.

No restaurants

1 maybe 2 hotels open

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you very much gerefan. I hope you will return to Thailand soon and find much more open by then. From what you wrote it looks like the gay scene recovery, at least in Pattaya, is beginning. To tell the truth, more bars are open than I was expecting at this point.

I hope we will also get information about Bangkok and other locales.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:38 pm
I hope we will also get information about Bangkok and other locales.
My Bangkok information is about 6 weeks old, but as no one else is stepping up to the plate, here is a report from late February:

Soi 4: Open air beer bars open until 23:00. Incidentally, if wanting a single beer, the prices at The Circus (ex-Telephone) were far more reasonable than across the road at Balcony.
I visited several times & quite liked it. I didn't see any sign of "hosts" working here. The waiters just served beer. Occasionally some freelancers would show up, buy a drink, nurse it for a while and then leave.
At times it was fairly busy, but of course the area with bars on Soi4 is a lot shorter than Jomtien.

The following gogos were seen open at least once:
Fresh Boys (Jeans)
Hot Male (Jeans)
Dream Boys (Jeans)
Jupiter
Moonlight
Tawan (new location, opposite original site)
Nature Boys had the door open with fully clothed people inside. So that's no longer a gogo service.

Closed:
Lucky Boys
Screw Boys
Banana (door open at times, but it looked closed)
Super A (permanently closed)
Golden Cock (permanently closed, although over a year ago, the Golden Cock sign moved across the road to Nature Boys, which now has 2 names).

I briefly set foot in two of the gogo bars & then immediately left. These were:
1 Fresh Boys. Usually my favourite, as they normally have skinny twinks in thin white underwear. However, they mostly had larger more muscular lads in Jeans, so of course, I did not stay. The one exception to the jeans was when they had a show, with some lad in a sari type thing. So the entertainment ban can't be the reason for boys in jeans ?

2 Hot Male -large boys, jeans and the music volume gave me several reasons not to stop.

Bars I did not visit:
Dream Boys had the door wide open. Older lads in Jeans. Not the kind of boys I dream about.
I never bother going in Jupiter, Moonlight or Tawan. This trip was no exception.

My total Bangkok gogo bar expenditure was 0 baht and no single visit lasted more than about 10 seconds.

I can sit and look at clothed boys anywhere in Bangkok, so if the gogo bars want to charge >350 baht for a beer, they need to get their kit off, or provide some kind of value in return for the elevated beer prices.

For hook ups, the gogo bars have to compete with phone apps, which usually work well for me.
So the gogo bars need to do more than offer hook ups & add some proper entertainment to justify the prices.
Considering entertainment, I read about gogo bars with completely naked lads 20 years ago. Now, despite fewer customers, higher prices and strong competition from phone app dating, they are trying to charge a fortune to watch lads in jeans.
This will not entice customers inside.
We can sit and watch clothed lads anywhere in Bangkok, without paying over 350 baht for a beer.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you Jun. Do you recall other prices, such as off fees, tip expectations, standard drinks other than beer, etc ?

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:13 am
Thank you Jun. Do you recall other prices, such as off fees, tip expectations, standard drinks other than beer, etc ?
I didn't ask about all that, because if the gogo bars are offering larger boys in jeans, that's like a host bar with a poor boy selection, but with much higher drink prices.
So they have already lost my business.

From memory pre-covid:
Drinks were at least 350. If getting a water, cost of goods = 6 baht and the remaining 344 baht is for overheads & entertainment.
A punter drink, a boy drink and an off would typically add up to about 1400. Some bars are slightly cheaper. I also believe there are more expensive bars, but I'm not interested in the kind of boy those bars have.
The gogo boys in Bangkok tend to squeal if they get anything less than 2000 baht, short time.
Compared with a very wide selection offering themselves at 1500 on the apps. Some app boys ask for as little as 1000, but these are rare and the last one was an absolutely lovely student, so he got more than requested.

Therefore, considering all costs, offing a boy from a BKK gogo bar is a minimum of 1900 more expensive.

Of course, paying more is just fine if I get more value in return. For example, I'll pay more for a nice reliable Bosch washing machine than a crappy Whirlpool/Indeshit etc.

When the gogo bars offer the wrong type of boy, in jeans, I'm just not interested. Why would I even think about paying premium drinks prices ?

At their current price point, the gogo bars must have some cute lads in underwear (or even less) to get my custom.

Unless they raise their game, gogo bars are swiftly becoming irrelevant.

Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I went into Fresh Boys last night 8 April (Friday) at 2100 to 2300. I was told they stay open until midnight. There were quite a few customers. Some come and go but overall there must have been over 25 during my visit. About 1/3 Thais of a diverse age group, the rest farangs also diverse ages.
Four or five Thai groups had open bottles and whisky and tips were being dolled out generously. The group next to me must have polished off 4 bottles of black label in a few hours. Drinks for the house.

I counted 27 boys on stage at 2100. Shirtless and in jeans. I was told that 8 had been off'ed before I arrived. Several were off''ed during my stay. The boys were of various styles from twink, boy-next door to more defined. Most were Thai with a few from Cambodia. No Viet and no Lao. Quality pretty good in my opinion.

So, what's up with the boys in jeans, I asked. It's what Thai and Asian customers want I was told and they are in the majority now.

The music level was loud but not like deafening painful levels as Moonlight and Jupiter. Perhaps the lowest level between the three remaining PP2 gay bars but still loud, 90 db.

Drinks 350, off 500. They pretty much expect 2000 for short time. Negotiable I assume. Short time room above bar/Pavilion Hotel 500, expensive for a shit room. Nana has clean new short time rooms for 300.

The show started at 2205. First, 8 boys did coyote dancing in very skimpy outfits, nice package bouncing. Then one ladyboy lip sync followed by the same chuck wow show they have been doing since the days of soi Twilight. A shower show with two guys and then I guess what you call a S and M act with a whip and a blow job, not at the same time. Three (only 3) for a large member display act aka a big cock show. They made the rounds for tips for touching. Last act was an energetic anal intercourse show aka fucking show. Show over 2300.

Overall the area still dark and quiet but there is a glimmer of light that the scene is bouncing back. I noticed from the outside Hotmale, Dream Boys and Moonlight open with customers. At 2330 there was a parade of the younger go-go customers making it to soi 2 DJ Station.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Trongpai wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:23 am
So, what's up with the boys in jeans, I asked. It's what Thai and Asian customers want I was told and they are in the majority now.
Well done for sticking around long enough to ask.

If I see boys in Jeans, I leave. I sometimes tell them why I'm leaving, if there's anyone near the door to hear.
Actually following your lead and asking them would be far more sensible, although I'm still not going to buy a 350 baht drink to watch boys in jeans.

Whether the answer you received is correct is something that requires a little more thought.

I've occasionally seen boys in jeans in Pattaya bars, including Nice Boys and Cupidol. I've never seen Asian customers anywhere near the majority in those two bars, so I wouldn't think it's a factor there.

Then the question arises, WHY would Asian customers prefer the boys in jeans ? I just don't get it.

I once suggested going to a bar in Phnom Penh to a gay Chinese friend. He just assumed the lads on stage would be nude and lost interest when I explained otherwise.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:06 pm
the question arises, WHY would Asian customers prefer the boys in jeans ? I just don't get it.
That makes two of us. If that really is the case, then I have yet another item to add to my "I Don't Get It" list. I would have thought the less the boys wear, the better they like it.

Trongpai did say he was told that. I suppose the only way know for sure is if Asians are in the bar - ask them.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:25 pm
Trongpai did say he was told that.
I noticed that too. A well written post.

Gaybutton wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:25 pm
I suppose the only way know for sure is if Asians are in the bar - ask them.
That's asking a sample that's already filtered. Anyone who doesn't accept paying gogo prices to watch boys in jeans won't be in the bar.

I would suspect the answer was mainly BS.
Particularly when we sometimes see the same nonsense in bars that don't have mainly Asian customers.
They probably didn't want to say they are behind with the tea money payments, or are struggling to find boys who get their kit off for the money paid etc.
Although, I would also have a hard time believing the latter. If I were in my 20s and hard up, I'd have no problem at all prancing around on stage in the same clothes I wear to the beach. Getting intimate with someone 2~4 times my age would be the difficult part.