How the Russia-Ukraine conflict affects Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
whitedesire

Re: How the Russia-Ukraine conflict affects Thailand

Post by whitedesire »

I don't think Thailand should worry, it will the last place Russia is interested in. Some countries are ignoring the embargoes against Russia because they will only take notice if they are United Nations resolutions to which they are not.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whitedesire wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:23 pm I don't think Thailand should worry, it will the last place Russia is interested in.
No interest in some sort of conflict, anyway. There is certainly no indication of any kind of problem between Thailand and Russia that would involve military.

Thailand and Russia are quite friendly. Anyone who has visited Pattaya is probably well aware that Thailand is a highly popular holiday destination for Russians and many of the condo units are sold to Russians. At Jomtien Beach, the further south you go, the more Russians there seems to be. The south part of Jomtien Beach is very popular among Russians. You'll find many shop signs written in Thai, English, and Cyrillic and often the signs don't include English at all. Even Pattaya's U-Tapao Airport has been the destination of many flights out of Russia.

I believe Thailand's main concern about Russia is how the Covid problem and now the Russia-Ukraine conflict is going to impact the numbers of Russians who go to Thailand, at least any time soon. In other words, I think Thailand's only concern about Russia is economic.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

Yeah but they won't be in Thailand "with no money" - who wants roubles!!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whitedesire wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:40 am Yeah but they won't be in Thailand "with no money" - who wants roubles!!
If Thailand's tourist industry continues for an appreciable length of time without Chinese and Russian tourists, I wonder what will happen to the exchange rates. While I realize the negative impact that would have on the Thai economy, I can only imagine in the long run that would work in favor of the American dollar and the UK pound. It will be interesting to see how long that long run will be.

Meanwhile I don't understand Thailand's current obsession focusing on trying to attract the very wealthy. I can see people with that kind of money traveling to Thailand once in a while for a holiday, but going to Thailand to retire, live, and stay in Thailand for extended lengths of time? How many people with that much money would want to do that? And if they are that wealthy, then what do they need with exclusive, expensive visas in the first place?

And for those of us expat retirees who are, shall we say, comfortable, but not super wealthy - why does Thailand continue to make things somewhat difficult for us, especially that 800000 baht requirement? I'm still trying, and failing, to understand why the powers-that-be force us to keep that money locked up in Thai bank accounts rather than letting us be out there spending it in Thailand.

That "I Don't Get It" list of mine keeps right on growing.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:32 am I believe Thailand's main concern about Russia is how the Covid problem and now the Russia-Ukraine conflict is going to impact the numbers of Russians who go to Thailand, at least any time soon. In other words, I think Thailand's only concern about Russia is economic.
I think that's the case. Principles don't seem to be a factor for the Junta.
We also see that on the Myanmar situation, where the Thai authorities don't speak out and cannot speak out.

Now of course Thailand will normally be an attractive destination for Russians. Reasonable flight times from Moscow, an easy escape from the winter and reasonable prices in Thailand will see to that. However, the depreciation of the Rouble will obviously depress demand, probably for a long while.

Rather than worry about what's beyond their control, the Junta should try and manage things within their control intelligently.

Starting by abolishing all covid restrictions and then why not offer a multiple entry tourist visa that offers up to 182 days per year, use of e-passport gates and so on ?