Registering for Covid booster in Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Registering for Covid booster in Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't know what or how it is being done anywhere else, but in Pattaya first you need to have received your first two vaccinations and be able to show proof either with the paperwork given after your second jab or, better still, on the Ministry of Public Health's digital health certificate app.

Go to the Royal Garden shopping mall. Go up one floor. There you will find 3 lines. One is for the people about to get their booster jab. The second and third lines are 1 to register for the Pfizer booster and 1 to register for the Moderna booster. Apparently it is your choice as to which one to get. If you want the Pfizer, get in the Pfizer line. If you want the Moderna, get in the Moderna line.

My Thai friend and I both opted for the Pfizer.

The line is about a half hour wait. When it is your turn you will be asked to present your proof of 2 vaccination jabs. The clerk will enter your information on his computer.

Not bad so far, except you won't get your booster jab the same day. We did our registration February 14. We were told to come back for the jab on February 21 - a week wait and another trip to Royal Garden. The wait applies to both Thai and farang.

The booster is free and available to all farang who can show proof of 2 previous vaccination jabs, so I can't really complain about having to make two trips, although I couldn't see why it couldn't all be done the same day. If you are in Pattaya as a tourist, as long as you can provide acceptable proof of the two previous jabs you are also eligible for the booster.
thewayhelooks

Re: Registering for Covid booster in Pattaya

Post by thewayhelooks »

I went there a week ago to register and to my surprise, I was asked if I wanted a Pfizer booster right then. I said yes and received it. No idea why as I was expecting to come back later. However they can't print out an updated certificate. I was told to go to Pattaya City Hospital and get it done there. Just managed to do so today before the heavens opened. Parking is a nightmare so I parked in Third Road and walked in.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Just to make things even more fun, I've been reading that we'll all probably need a fourth booster at some point.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I had a walk in appointment in Bangkok in November.
The actual injection part took 32 seconds per patient and was very efficient. So I don't see why they make you come back a week later, increasing traffic and delaying your protection.

As for fourth jabs, the reports on that seem very mixed, although I suspect it will eventually happen. What is fairly clear from UK data is that if you had Astra Zeneca over 4-5 months ago, getting an mRNA booster is a very good idea.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:47 am I don't see why they make you come back a week later
Neither do I, but I'm not complaining. I'm happy enough to be getting it at all, especially since it's free.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Today I went back to Royal Garden for the Pfizer booster. There are three things you will need: Your passport, the Mor Prom app, and a Thai friend.

The passport need is obvious.

If you were cleared to get the booster, you probably already have the Mor Prom app. They are going to look at it to make sure you have already had two injections and which ones they were. If you don't have it, you can easily download and install it on your phone. Even if you got your initial injections somewhere other than in Thailand and are going to show your proof some other way, I still suggest downloading and installing the Mor Prom app so that you will have just what you need when in Thailand.

Mor Prom app

And the reason for a Thai friend: There is a lengthy form to fill out and the form is entirely in Thai. Not a word of English on it anywhere and no English version of the form is available. Perhaps a staff member can help you fill it out, but I don't know. My Thai friend was with me and he filled out most of it for me. The only part of it that I had to do was my printed name and my signature. I didn't see any other farang trying to fill out the form at the same time I was doing mine.

After filling out the form, you'll still be seated in that same room. They move you up row by row as the front row is called to the next room.

When you enter the next room, now you wait to get your blood pressure checked. After that, you move on to yet another room where they do more paperwork checks and finalize everything.

Finally you're in the room where you get the injection. When we got to that room we didn't have to wait. We were called forward immediately to receive our injection. The nurse explained to me that if I get a reaction to it, and most people don't, it is likely to be minor pain at the injection site, drowsiness, and maybe a headache. She said Tylenol will relieve it. So far I have not had a reaction of any kind.

She also explained within 24 hours the the proof of injection will automatically be placed on your exiting Mor Prom app information. This time there is no paper proof given.

There is one more room, but it is optional. That is where they want you to wait 15 minutes to be sure you won't have an immediate reaction. After that you don't need to talk to anyone. You can just go. Since you don't have to talk to anybody, actually you can leave whenever you want, even immediately if you want to. We cooperated. We waited out the 15 minutes and then left.

And that was that. The whole thing, including the 15 minute wait, took less than 1 hour.

Update: The proof of injection appeared on my Mor Prom app 3 hours later.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

This is an audio file. I suggest listening to it.

As booster shot protections wane, here's the latest research on a 4th vaccine dose

by NPR

February 21, 2022

If Thailand does offer a 4th dose I, for one, will probably get it. Even though supposedly Omicron is no worse than a flu, who wants to get the flu? I get a flu shot every year, so if a 4th dose helps to protect against Omicron, even if only a little bit, why not? I'd rather get the injection and reduce the risk of Omicron, despite that it might be just a slight reduction. To me, that's better than nothing.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Your 3rd dose ought to be a substantial improvement on an ageing Astra Zeneca dose, based on some of the data published in the UK. Give it 2 weeks and it's time to go clubbing :).

Obviously various countries will continue to monitor vaccine performance, so by next winter, there should be better data to decide on a 4th dose.

In my case, sooner or later I shall probably visit a country that requires a booster dose to consider people as vaccinated. I have a scrap of paper from my booster dose in Bangkok and therefore suspect it might be difficult to get that added to UK records. Registering on the Thai app without a 13 digit ID didn't work.
Since my Thai booster is "off the books" back home, getting a 4th dose might be the easiest solution.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:36 am Since my Thai booster is "off the books"
It seems strange that you can't get some sort of official proof of the booster, especially since you got your first two injections outside of Thailand, which is exactly what Thailand has been requiring for entry.

What about that medical building inside the Lan Po seafood market? Maybe you can get something there. You might also check with Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital. Maybe they can issue you an ID acceptable for making the Mor Prom app work.
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

Jun wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:36 am Since my Thai booster is "off the books" back home, getting a 4th dose might be the easiest solution.
When I received my Pfizer 'Booster' here in Chiang Mai I was given an A5 slip of paper detailing when and where I should attend for my 'second' dose. Stuck to that slip of paper was a QR code which enabled me to put my injection on the (Thai) Ministry of Public Health system. It gives my status as '1 Dose' but together with my NHS Covid pass, it means I've had a booster.

At the time I was far more concerned with actually receiving the booster than subsequently proving that I had done so. I regarded the proof as a bonus.