Rainbow Road

Anything and everything about Thailand
thewayhelooks

Rainbow Road

Post by thewayhelooks »

The latest newsletter from Yupins restaurant in the Jomtien complex says management of the complex has told Yupins and all the bars to close from Monday January 24th, and to reopen on Friday the 28th. This to allow the road to be painted in rainbow colours.

This comes just days after the announcement that restaurants can now stay open and serve alcohol until 11pm, an extra two hours. Impeccable Thai timing as usual.
Gaybutton

Re: Rainbow Road

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:47 pm Impeccable Thai timing as usual.
In my opinion it is also impeccable Thai decision making. Somebody has to be the one who came up with this idea. Who? And Why?

I'm sure rainbow colors is a nice touch, but to do it now, just when the venues have a chance to start recouping their losses - not my idea of good, well thought out decision making.

How many years has Jomtien Complex been there and has been virtually exclusively gay? Now all of a sudden it's an emergency rainbow colors paint job? And if the paint is on the street, every few years it will have to be maintained, repaired, and restored. When that time comes, will the work be done or will the wear and tear simply be ignored? I know which I think it will be . . .

In any case, it's a nice touch, but poor timing. If they really want to improve Jomtien Complex, I know just what they need to do - allow go-go bars.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Been reconsidered. Bars to remain open.
See post #4 here
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthre ... w-painting
Jun

Post by Jun »

The paint job is likely to deter more non-gay music bars from invading the street, so that's a very good thing.

At least whilst the paint job remains in good condition. If it's done to usual standards, they will cut corners when doing the painting, then not maintain it and finally dig up the street for a drain in December, during the next high season.

Whilst the paint job is in progress, they have proper barriers at either end of the street to actually prevent motor vehicles from using the street, rather than barriers that they drive around. The enhanced barriers are one feature they should keep.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Much ado about nothing.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I haven't been anywhere near the complex lately. Did they ever complete the "rainbow Road"?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:10 pm I haven't been anywhere near the complex lately. Did they ever complete the "rainbow Road"?
Not yet. There are about 1.5 layers of undercoat and there has been no progress for a couple of weeks. I presume they got bored with the idea, or there was some opposition. A pity, as I think a rainbow road would discourage further non-gay businesses like Dragon Music Lounge.

The latest works have been to remove the canopies from the front of the bars, which have been redundant since a roof was put over the street. Of course, some of those canopies supported ventilation fans, so in some cases just the canopy frame remains, to support fans. Which looks awful.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:40 am there has been no progress for a couple of weeks.
Thank you. Why am I not surprised?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

This was supposed to have been done in January. Now we're coming up on April. Has it been done?

3 guesses . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

The remarkable thing is they announce the painting, do about 1.5 layers of undercoat and then abandon it.
A rational approach would be to consult, decide & then do.

I'm guessing they made the decision, started work and then got some complaints ? Or would there be a legal issue ?