Thailand's Tom yam kung - one of the 20 world's best soups

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Thailand's Tom yam kung - one of the 20 world's best soups

Post by Gaybutton »

First, before anyone tells me I should have posted this on the "Restaurant Reviews & Recipe Exchange" forum, this is not reviewing any restaurant and does not include a recipe, so I thought it best to post here. If you want to make your own, YouTube has plenty of recipes.

Tom yam kung is Thailand's signature hot and spicy shrimp soup. Kung (pronounced koong) is the Thai word for shrimp or prawns.

When I first came to Thailand I was not used to the hot spices and couldn't eat it. It took a few years for me to build up to the point at which I now can eat and enjoy the hot spices as the Thais do and Tom yam kung has become one of my favorites too. You won't have any problem finding restaurants that serve it - everywhere from high end restaurants to mom-and-pop street restaurants (and I think they have the best ones). If you've never tried it, you should, but if you're not used to that level of spiciness, make sure to have a large glass of ice water within easy reach . . .

The article does not show the other 19 soups on the list, so I looked it up for you. See: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

By the way, I have a feeling most of you had a grandma who always made the best soup in the entire world. I certainly did.

Thailand’s favorite ‘Tom Yam Kung’ listed among CNN’s 20 best soups of the world

By Pattaya Mail

January 18, 2022

Spicy shrimp soup or ‘Tom Yam Kung’ – one of the most famous of all Thai dishes and a perennial favorite around the globe – has been included in CNN’s list of the world’s 20 best soups.

Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, Governor of TAT, said “The ongoing international recognition of tom yam kung and other signature Thai dishes, displayed in the awarding of such titles, perfectly supports the inclusion of gastronomy tourism in the destination marketing of Thailand in visitor source markets everywhere.”

Gastronomy tourism is a key element of the ‘Visit Thailand Year 2022’ campaign showcasing the amazing and diversified culinary scene prevalent throughout Thailand.

The fifth edition of The MICHELIN Guide in Thailand was launched at the end of 2021, featuring the newly added destination of Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya. It lists a total of 361 eateries in Bangkok and surrounding provinces, Ayutthaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket, and Phang-Nga.

“Sweet, sour, spicy, and salty, this soup’s magnificent broth is the ideal foil for sweet, tender shrimp. Aromatic ingredients include galangal, lemongrass, and lime leaves, while slivers of bright red bird’s-eye chilies add additional heat” is how CNN describes tom yam kung.

In terms of its global popularity and profile, tom yam kung is up there with other famous soups of various different cuisines; such as, French onion soup, Japan’s ramen, China’s wonton soup, Italy’s minestrone, and America’s chowder soup.

Tom yam kung is far from the only Thai dish to be honored with such international recognition, something that’s hardly surprising when considering Thai cuisine itself is so immensely popular with diners in all corners of the world. Thai dishes are regularly included in the ‘world’s best’ and ‘world’s favorite’ listings, the most recent accolade also having been bestowed by CNN Travel – in April 2021 – when it once again named Thai massaman curry the No. 1 dish in the world.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... rld-386667