Boosters

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Boosters

Post by RichLB »

There are so many reports surrounding boosters I can't keep all of them straight.
How long after the second jab is a booster recommended for the various vaccines? I've read several conflicting reports about Pfizer and Moderna, but Astrazenica is hardly ever mentioned. What is the wait time between second jab and booster for the various vaccines? And what about mixing boosters and original jab? Some sources say never to do that, others say it's okay to do, and still others say its preferable to mix them. Does anyone know? And finally, is it up to us to keep track of when we qualify for a booster or will the original vaccine suppliers inform us via text?

Gaybutton

Re: Boosters

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:17 pm
is it up to us to keep track of when we qualify for a booster or will the original vaccine suppliers inform us via text?
This is the only part of your question I know, at least in part, the answer. If you received your first two vaccines via a hospital, then the hospital is supposed to inform you when it's time for a booster, probably with an Email or text message. I think they will tell you which booster to get and where to get it, but I'm not sure about that.

Jun

Post by Jun »

In Thailand, if you had Astra Zeneca or Chinese vaccines, you can get a booster after 3 months now.
If you had Pfizer or Moderna, the booster is available after 6 months.

There have been various trials of mixing vaccines and that is common practice in many countries.

As far as I can tell, the optimum solution is to take an mRNA booster, which is exactly what I did as soon as I could get one. Various countries offer only mRNA boosters now, but having a choice seems to be common practice in Thailand.

If I qualified for a walk in booster and had received Astra Zeneca over 3 months ago, I'd go for the walk in booster immediately, without waiting to be contacted. In fact, that's exactly what I did do. Particularly with another wave of the virus now.

billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

This is the latest information that I can find:

https://thailand.prd.go.th/ewt_news.php ... name=index

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

billyhouston wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:03 pm
This is the latest information that I can find
Thank you for posting that information. I, along with many in Pattaya, received 2 doses of AstraZeneca, but the booster will be either Pfizer or Moderna, but not a third dose of AstraZeneca. For me, the end of the 3 month waiting period will be at the end of January.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

It has been 13 weeks since my second dose of Astra at Bang Sue, shortly after I opted to register and pay for a third booster of Moderna at BPH. 2 days ago I got an SMS from Bang Sue advising me that I could get a booster of Pfizer on January 8 but preferred getting Moderna. Today I had a regular scheduled appointment with my doctor at BPH and had heard from a friend that he hadn’t registered and went to BPH to see if he could get a Moderna booster and was asked if he would pay 1650 for a jab, he agreed and was given it on the spot. Today I told this to my doctor who spoke with someone in customer service and his nurse took me to an office and was told most likely in 1 or 2 weeks I should get an sms to come for a jab, I said I paid for it why can’t I get it now and was told there wasn’t any. I have known the nurse for a long time as she saw my dismay and she told me that staff was given a large supply for family etc. and most likely as many do one must have sold one of their reserved doses to my friend as this was a common occurrence.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Up2u

Post by Up2u »

If you want Moderna I believe you must pay at a private hospital only. You will get Pfizer at the free public injection centers.

I mentioned in another thread the Moderna Lot 1 allocation is available at BHP but you must be persistent and request it otherwise you will be sold Lot 2.

They have only x number of doses and were issuing computer generated registration slips.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

This is a whole Facebook group dedicated to people selling their reserved Moderna:

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Finally, today at BPH received Moderna booster, it appears that the government is now suggesting a 4th booster for vulnerable groups.

Jun

Post by Jun »

1 I'd also look at what other governments say about 4th doses. Not all recommend them yet.

2. The moderna vaccine has more than double the mRNA content of the Pfizer vaccine. Hence a half dose of Moderna is used as a booster in some countries. Certain studies show a higher incidence of side effects in young people from Moderna, compared with Pfizer. If buying a vaccine for a younger lad, I'd have a slight preference for Pfizer. For the typical elderly board member, I suspect be either would be fine.