Omicron effect on tourism

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Omicron effect on tourism

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:22 pm Why not shut the roads, halt bus services, close motorway restaurants, etc etc?
The ATK test as a requirement to eat in restaurants is on my "I Don't Get It" list. This evening a restaurant where RichLB and I intended to eat was insisting on it. Neither of us felt like bothering with it, so we simply went to a different restaurant that was neither requiring it nor even asking about it.

That second restaurant makes most sense to me. The test kit rule is it must be done within 72 hours of eating in a restaurant. Unless I'm missing something, there is nothing to indicate when the test was taken. You could have taken the test earlier today or you could have taken it a week ago. There is also nothing to indicate who it was that actually took the test. Anyone could actually do the test, get a negative result, and if he'll give it to you, you can enter the restaurant using his result and no one will be the wiser. All anyone needs to do is bring along an ATK with a negative test result no matter when the test was taken and no matter who actually took the test - and now you get to eat in the restaurant.

Am I missing something? If I'm not, then what sense is there in this rule? Before imposing it, I just don't see how this rule could possibly have been competently thought through.

It might make some sense, not much but some, if the restaurants were required to administer the test themselves on customers trying to enter. That could work with smaller restaurants if customers are willing to put up with it, but good luck with that one if it is a restaurant that attracts crowds, such as the cheap Thai buffets.

It is a test few want to do just to be able to eat in a restaurant, with no way of knowing when the test was taken, who actually took the test, or even if the results are truly accurate. And I'm still trying to figure out why this test requirement applies exclusively to restaurants, but nowhere else that I'm aware of.

"I fail to see what purpose is served".
- Gregory Peck (Gen. Douglas MacArthur), 'MacArthur'
Jun

Post by Jun »

To answer your question, I THINK the point you're missing is the test either has to be done on the premises at which you are drinking or an official test centre which provides documented proof for 72 hours.

Or that's what I read when it was announced. Which means your own home test is not permitted, if I understand correctly.

Now obviously I have no intention of visiting an official test centre as I might be carted off to COVID jail if it's a failure.

Testing at a restaurant ought to be lower risk, they ought to know it's good business to allow any customer failing to quietly sneak off home. But if you can just go to another restaurant, as you did, why take the risk of a test ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:17 pm Which means your own home test is not permitted, if I understand correctly.
You understand incorrectly. A home test is permitted. If for some reason a restaurant doesn't want to accept it, that's their prerogative.

I had booked a table at the restaurant we wanted to go to. Just as I was on my way to meet RichLB the restaurant called me to remind me to bring the test kit showing the result. I told them I don't have one. They offered to test us at the restaurant with their own kits since I did not have my own. I told them sorry, but we're not going to do that. They said we can't eat there without showing a kit with a negative result. My guess is they were warned by the police and would rather lose customers than get in trouble with the police.

The restaurant probably disliked the whole thing with the test kits as much as RichLB and I did. I drove right by the restaurant and could clearly see inside. Empty.

Some restaurants require it. You might be correct in that some restaurants will insist on doing the test themselves, although I don't know of any doing that. And some restaurants are not doing it at all.

At least for the time being, if I go to a restaurant, it's going to be one where they are not requiring the test kit. I really don't have a problem about doing the test, but I'm not going to jump through hoops to eat at a restaurant, especially since I believe that particular hoop is totally unnecessary. For now, I will be doing my own cooking at home or ordering food through one of the food delivery services.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:50 am You understand incorrectly. A home test is permitted. If for some reason a restaurant doesn't want to accept it, that's their prerogative.
"Covid-19 test daily
All customers, regardless of the size of the venue and regardless of the customer’s vaccination or recovery status, must take a Covid antigen test within 72 hours of the current time period to dine-in. The venue can arrange for on-site testing or accept qualified test results."

The definition of qualified test results is key.

According to something I read, it should be at a test centre.

If, on the other hand, you can bring a completed test, no problem. I have some taken in November. We all know how effective that would be.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

The Pattaya Mail article dated January 11, 2022: No home Covid-19 tests allowed to enter Pattaya bars
https://www.pattayamail.com/news/no-hom ... ars-385845 notes bars/restaurants.

So, it appears if the restaurant also serves alcohol, then a home test is not valid for entry.

GB, out of curiosity, did your second choice serve alcohol? If so, then they are apparently ignoring the requirement for testing. But, according to recent articles I have seen, the boys in brown are only checking restaurants meeting the requirement to stop serving alcohol at 9pm.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:16 am The definition of qualified test results is key.
As far as I know the home test is all the qualifying the restaurants need or care about. There might be a few restaurants that want something more, but most restaurants wish they didn't have to bother with this at all. So, if what you've got is legal, enter and enjoy your meal . . .

I did my own test kit this morning and tested negative. So, I'll just stick the test result in my pocket and pull it out if I'm entering somewhere that wants to see your test result and find out that way whether it is acceptable. As I said in an earlier post, there is nothing on the kit that shows the date you did the test, the time you did the test, or even if it was actually you who did the test. All that's there is the result itself. One red bar means you tested negative. Two red bars mean you tested positive.

The test centers were set up as convenience if you want to get tested, but there is no requirement to use them. It would be beyond absurd for someone who lives in Jomtien, where there are no test centers, to have to go into the city, get tested, and then trek back to Jomtien to eat in a restaurant that might have been right across the street from their residence.

The majority of people using the test centers are restaurant and bar staff who are required to be tested every day. The centers test for free whereas having to buy a test kit every day is too expensive for the average restaurant worker and too expensive for the restaurant to foot the bill every day for all their employees.

I don't know if bars want to see test results. I haven't been to any bars since Covid got started.

2lz2p wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:02 am GB, out of curiosity, did your second choice serve alcohol?
To tell the truth, I have no idea. Despite having eaten there many times, I don't recall seeing any alcohol served. I might be wrong, though. It isn't something I've paid any attention to there. I don't drink and neither does RichLB. I almost always drink water or soda water. RichLB almost always drinks Diet Coke or Coke Zero.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

As I said in an earlier post on this topic, Chinese New Year, Tuesday, February 1, is likely to be very subdued. The following article confirms that. However, don't be surprised if you wake up early that morning to the sound of firecrackers . . .

The last part of the article mentions that so far no decisions have been made as to whether water fights will be permitted during Songkran 2022. My guess is no announcements will be made until late March or early April. I am also guessing that if water splashing is permitted at all, it will be quite limited.

Those of you who usually escape to elsewhere during Songkran week may need to consider either not bothering to escape this year, or plan to go elsewhere within Thailand rather than planning a trip to another country. Of course, as soon as further information becomes available it will be posted.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pattaya Mayor confirms Chinese New Year event will be only religious/ceremonial, no public carnivals, shows, etc.

By Adam Judd

24 January, 2022

Pattaya Mayor Sonthaya Khunplume has confirmed that this year’s Chinese New Year Festival will be only ceremonial/religious events without events that draw large crowds like parades, carnivals, festivals, fireworks, etc.

Today, January 24th, 2022, the Mayor spoke with TPN media and stated that due to ongoing concerns with Covid-19 in Banglamung, this year’s event would be only ceremonial and religious functions with small audiences following strict Covid-19 precautions like mask-wearing, social distancing, and temperature checks. In “normal” years, Chinese New Year is a major event in Pattaya, featuring parades, acrobatic shows, food festivals, and much more. However, this has not been the case now for several years due to Covid-19 concerns.

The city will, however, place decorations across the area to mark the New Year.

Chonburi had the lowest number of Covid-19 cases in three weeks today, with only 316 new cases, however health officials are still taking an overly cautious approach.

Mayor Sonthaya did, however, add that the city plans to move ahead with plans for a March music festival and a Songkran festival in April, adding that he and health authorities believe the situation should be greatly improved by this time to hold these events. He did note that the exact rules and precautions for these events were yet to be decided and that it was too early to talk about if water fights would be allowed for Songkran.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/01/24/p ... shows-etc/