The Latest - restrictions, visas, entry requirements, etc.

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: The Latest - restrictions, visas, entry requirements, etc.

Post by Jun »

The range of visas and the rules is baffling. Admittedly I haven't spent long researching it, but I can't even find a clear, concise and complete summary to start the process.

I google "multiple entry Non-OA visa" and it produces a result without the "multiple entry" wording. https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/non-immig ... a00c812e8e

What's needed is a nice simple excel table that lists ALL the options for visas, permissions to stay etc. Put the title in one column, eligibility requirements in another, entitlements in a third column & drawbacks & pitfalls in another.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:26 pm What's needed is a nice simple excel table that lists ALL the options for visas, permissions to stay etc. Put the title in one column, eligibility requirements in another, entitlements in a third column & drawbacks & pitfalls in another.
Maybe bkkguy will do it.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

The Pattaya City Expats Club has a section on their website related to Thai Immigration. https://pcec.club/page-18188. This includes Entering Thailand, Extending Stay, Re-Entry Permits, Address Reporting, and more.

On the Entering Thailand page, they note the difference between a “Visa” and a “Permission to Stay” as follows https://pcec.club/Entering-Thailand:
What is the difference between a "Visa" and a "Permission to Stay"?
Please be aware that a "Visa" and a "Permission to Stay" are not the same. A Visa, usually issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate represents a document that allows entry. Whereas a Permission to Stay is the amount of time you are permitted to stay in Thailand once you have been admitted. Click here to read the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs' explanation of the difference (see items 7 & 8).
On their page for Non-Immigrant Visas, they include the following regarding single entry and multiple entry visas https://pcec.club/Non-Immigrant-Visa:
How long do I have to enter Thailand, how long may I stay, and can it be extended?
Single Entry Non-Immigrant Visas are usually valid for entry for 3 months from date of issue. Upon entry within that 3 month period, the holder will be permitted to stay for 90 days (includes the day of arrival). For example, if you arrive the day before the Visa expires, you will still receive a 90 day permission to stay. The Immigration Officer will stamp "used" on the Visa.

Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant Visas are usually valid for one year from date of issue. Upon each entry during this period, the holder will receive a 90 day permission to stay (includes the day of arrival). For example, if you arrive the day before the Visa expires, you will still receive a 90 day permission to stay).

The 90 day permitted stay can be extended at Thai Immigration within Thailand.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Some people take great delight in correcting errors on immigration terminology. Whilst that correction is usually correct, the visitor still gets the same number of days in Thailand, whether he's described it correctly or not.

As for the re-entry issue, I note that even the PCEC example kindly provided by 2lz2p mentions single and multiple entry, then it lists a number of different visa options, without stating next to every one whether it's single or multiple entry.
Of course, they do mention some of them "may be multiple entry".
However, for others we're left guessing -do we infer that these are single entry, or did the author forget to explain this ?
They also don't mention the issue of re-entry permits.

When I'm choosing a visa (or other permissions), it would be useful to understand which require reentry permits and which don't. Plus all the other pitfalls.

I've not yet had the need to research this in depth, mainly as I've been a "mere tourist" (by choice). When I do research it in depth, I suspect it's going to be painful.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Jun wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:15 pm When I'm choosing a visa (or other permission), it would be useful to understand which require reentry permits and which don't. Plus all the other pitfalls.
with a few exceptions visas are issued by embassies and consulates outside of Thailand under the control of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - for general information see the MFA web site, but as visa conditions and availability may vary from office to office, for more specific details consult the web site or contact directly the embassy or consulate in your home country where you will be applying for the visa. this information may change over time so I would be wary of other web sites that claim to always have the latest information for all embassies and consulates in all countries!

once you have entered Thailand and have been granted a permission to stay, reentry permits are issued by the Immigration Bureau of the Royal Thai Police under control of the Interior Ministry - for general information see the Immigration Bureau web site, but again as requirements and availability may vary from office to office, for more specific details contact directly the office that serves the province where you reside

to understand the advantages and pitfalls of all these options as they relate to your specific requirements, rather than a Google search I would try a discussion forum that has knowledgeable participants - while Asean Now's Thai Visas, Residency, and Work Permits forum is full of multi-multi-page discussions full of posts by people who don't understand the issues and/or can't see beyond their own limited experience, posts by the moderators and super-moderators are generally reliable and useful
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:15 pm Some people take great delight in correcting errors on immigration terminology.
Only 1 that I know of.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:32 pm Only 1 that I know of.
It's surprisingly common on other forums, particularly AseanNow. Although there are some helpful answers as well.

bkkguy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:39 pm visas are issued by embassies and consulates outside of Thailand under the control of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
bkkguy wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:39 pmonce you have entered Thailand and have been granted a permission to stay, reentry permits are issued by the Immigration Bureau of the Royal Thai Police under control of the Interior Ministry
This explains a lot.
My expectation would be clear & coordinated rules, explained in one publication, even if 2 separate organizations issue the documents.
However, that's obviously not a priority for them.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Jun wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:15 pm As for the re-entry issue, I note that even the PCEC example kindly provided by 2lz2p mentions single and multiple entry, then it lists a number of different visa options, without stating next to every one whether it's single or multiple entry.
Of course, they do mention some of them "may be multiple entry".
However, for others we're left guessing -do we infer that these are single entry, or did the author forget to explain this ?
They also don't mention the issue of re-entry permits.

When I'm choosing a visa (or other permissions), it would be useful to understand which require reentry permits and which don't. Plus all the other pitfalls.

I've not yet had the need to research this in depth, mainly as I've been a "mere tourist" (by choice). When I do research it in depth, I suspect it's going to be painful.
The PCEC website has information on all types of entry in separate areas. The section I posted re Multiple Entry relates only to a Non-Immigrant Visa. If you are on the Entering Thailand page, it will show the different types of entry and has a "button" to click for each type which shows the requirements as well as whether it can be multiple entry.

Likewise, the PCEC's website has a separate page dealing with Re-Entry Permits - https://pcec.club/Re-Entry-Permit.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Is it just me? If there are any surprises, anything unexpected, or major changes, I missed them . . .
______________________________________________________________________________________

Thai government cancels Test and Go, eases legal drinking hours, and more-Covid meeting recap

By Nop Meechukhun

22 April, 2022

Highlights of changes

* Test and Go is gone, no pre-booking of hotels required (except for unvaccinated). A.K.A. no pre or post-arrival mandatory Covid-19 tests.

* Thailand Pass remains mainly to prove insurance and vaccination status.

* Alcohol serving venues can stay open until Midnight, although continue to be converted into restaurants and not legally bars or nightlife.

* Mandatory insurance reduced to 10,000 USD

* Effective May 1st

The general meeting of the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration, chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O’Cha, has announced the cancellation of the ‘Test&Go’ scheme and zoning relaxation in controlled areas (orange zones), effective May 1st.

Firstly, Thailand Pass will remain, mainly to verify vaccination status and proof of insurance. This will be continually evaluated. Thailand Pass will also be paused temporarily to update the system for the new rules, set to start on the first of May. Those who have already booked will need to inquire individually with hotels/Thailand Pass about potential refunds or “grandfather” clauses after May 1st. Before May 1st, all current rules will apply.

As a result of scrapping the ‘Test&Go’ scheme, all mandatory Covid-19 tests for vaccinated travelers have been canceled upon arrival in the Kingdom and only one self-ATK test is recommended (but not compulsory) during their stay. If an infection is found, they are required to go for treatment through the insurance process. Essentially, once one enters Thailand and goes through confirmation of their Thailand Pass paperwork and customs, they are free to go where they wish as of May first.

For non-vaccinated tourists, an RT-PCR test is required on the 4th-5th day of arrival in Thailand. If negative, a self-ATK (rapid antigen) test is later recommended during their stay. If an infection is found, they are required to go for treatment through an insurance process. A non-vaccinated person must still pre-book a hotel for five days and conduct a mandatory five-day hotel stay/quarantine, for now, this may change later this year.

The CCSA also announced the reduction of the insurance minimum coverage for both groups of vaccinated and non-vaccinated travelers from a minimum of USD 20,000 to a minimum of USD 10,000.

High-risk individuals who had contact with a person who tested positive for Covid-19 now only need to be quarantined for five days. They should also perform a self ATK test on Day 5 and Day 10. For days 6-10, they are allowed to end their quarantine but must continue to self-monitor their symptoms and self-test on day ten.

For domestic regulations, the CCSA has rezoned all the provinces in the controlled areas, or the orange zone, to the high surveillance areas, or the yellow zone, and some in the tourist pilot areas, or the blue zone. Essentially, this means all the provinces in the country are now basically following the same set of rules.

As a result, Thailand now has 0 provinces in the highest and most strict control areas (dark red), the maximum control area (red zone), and the controlled areas (orange zone), which dictated the level of Covid-19 rules that were set.

The high surveillance areas now has 65 provinces which include:

Kalasin Kamphaeng Phet Khon Kaen, Chanthaburi, Chachoengsao, Chaiyoeng, Chiang Rai, Trang, Trat, Nakhon Phanom, Nakhon Sawan, Narathiwat, Pattani, Narathiwat, Phra Sawan, Mukthan, Lamphun, Lamphun, Lamphun Songkhram, Sa Kaeo, Samut Songkhram, Sa Kaeo Saaburi, Sing Buri, Sukhothai, Suphan Buri Surin, Nong Khai, Nong Bua Lamphu, Ang Thong, Amnat Charoen Uthai Thani, Ubon Ratchathani, Tak Nakhon Nayok, Ubon Ratchathani Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Buriram, Prachuap Khiri Khan Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Phatthalung, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Ranong, Ratchaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Surat Thani, Udon Thani, and Uttaradit

The blue zone or tourism pilot areas has now increased from 10 provinces to 12 provinces which include: Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Krabi, Chonburi, Chiang Mai, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Phang Nga, Phetchaburi, Phuket, Rayong, and Songkhla.

Technically, bars and nightclubs, and entertainment venues remain legally closed and will continue as converted restaurants. This will be evaluated in the future, the CCSA noted. As stated above, however, venues that are “restaurants” can legally serve alcohol until midnight as of May first.

School openings were also discussed, which are the same as this article we published earlier today.

All of the changes above will be effective on May 1st. TPN notes that none of this is official until is printed as law in the Royal Gazette, which as usually based on decisions in the past takes place just before the date it becomes effective. All rules and policies announced, as always, are subject to change.

This is a developing story and future changes and/or clarifications could be made to this article.

https://tpnnational.com/2022/04/22/thai ... ing-recap/
Jun

Post by Jun »

PCR ==>ATK ought to be an improvement, due to reduced sensitivity and near immediate results. I'll be interested to see the exact wording.

The insurance requirement is nothing more than a scam. I checked the popular AXA Thailand policy and it doesn't even include cover for hotel quarantine now. So what is the point, if it doesn't cover quarantine and the medical cover is pitifully low ?

I would rather travel with a proper UK insurance policy, with generous cover for genuine and potentially expensive emergency medical treatment.
For the case where I'm forced to do hotel quarantine, it's likely to REDUCE the cost of my holiday, since I can't spend anything on "entertainment" during that time. So I don't need insurance cover for that.