The Latest - restrictions, visas, entry requirements, etc.

Anything and everything about Thailand
gerefan

Re: The Latest - restrictions, visas, entry requirements, etc.

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:48 pm Thailand wants to restore its one time lucrative tourism industry, but the way they are going about it just isn't working anywhere near as well as had been hoped. Very confusing rules about how to enter
Correct.

I want to visit again in July or August for a month between my annual 90 day visits (December to March).

However, I will not go through all the Thai Visa shit for a 30 day visit. 90 days is ok.

If little old me decides it isn’t worth it then millions of others are probably thinking the same.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

There is a proposal - emphasis on proposal - to end face mask mandates by mid June. Now that Monkeypox has come into the picture it will be interesting to see if this goes through.

Even if the mandates are rescinded, I'm wondering how many people will continue wearing the face mask anyway. I think most Thais might be less strict about wearing the masks, but most of the time will continue wearing them - just a guess on my part.

First we'll have to see whether this proposal becomes reality in the first place.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Thai Ministry of Public Health to propose ending mask mandates in Thailand in most situations by mid June

By Adam Judd

24 May, 2022

Dr. Kiatpoom Wongrachit, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Public Health (MOPH), announced this afternoon, May 24th, 2022, that the MOPH is planning to propose to the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration or CCSA to end mask mandates in most situations across Thailand by mid June.

Currently, there is a mask mandate in every province in Thailand in all public areas, including outdoors or even riding a motorbike alone. This isn’t a law, per se, but it is an enforceable legal mandate under the current emergency decree that was just extended until the end of July.

According to Dr. Kiatpoom, the proposal will be that the current mandate will change to guidance on only three things:

1. At risk, vulnerable people, especially the elderly.

2. Closed indoor spaces that are poorly ventilated.

3. Events that bring extremely large gatherings of people.

Under the proposal, in other situations the mandate would be removed and it would be personal choice on if one wished to wear a mask or not.

TPN notes that this is only a proposal currently and not guaranteed to happen but will be welcome potential news for many of our readers. Social media comments on our networks consistently have criticized the mandates, especially outdoor usage.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/24/t ... -mid-june/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Ok, now we're waiting to see where those "designated areas" will be.

I don't see anything about lifting the social distancing rules.

I'm guessing most of you reading this are very interested in what this will mean regarding the bars. Nothing about that is mentioned in this or any other news item I've seen. If any information comes out, we'll let you know.

Meanwhile my guess is for the time being face masks and social distancing will still be required in the bars everywhere in the country. I'm not expecting major changes about that any time soon. But at least the bars will be able to open. No changes in that - not yet anyway.

Face mask-wearing mandate to be lifted 'only in certain areas'

May 26, 2022

The Public Health Ministry has issued a clarification about news regarding the lifting of the mask mandate next month, saying the mask requirement may be eased only in some designated areas.

Permanent secretary of the Public Health Ministry, Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit, on Wednesday said the Covid-19 situation has improved faster than expected, so the pandemic may be downgraded to an endemic disease as planned.

The ministry then must step up measures to ensure people can live with Covid-19 safely, he added.

The lifting of the mask requirement is one option but the ministry does not plan to do so entirely yet, Dr Kiattiphum said. Indoor and outdoor masking will be eased in certain areas with lower infection rates and well-prepared treatment systems and where most locals are fully vaccinated.

The mask regulations may be adjusted around mid-June, Dr Kiattiphum said.

However, the high-risk 608 group -- which comprises people aged 60 years and above, those with underlying diseases and pregnant women -- may be required to put on masks in certain areas for their own safety, as well as people in high-density and crowded areas, he added.

Dr Taweesap Siraprapasiri, a senior official with the Department of Disease Control (DDC), said the relaxing of face mask measures may start in 31 provinces which he said includes 14 provinces designated as green zones in the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA)'s colour-coded zoning plus 17 provinces in blue zones including Bangkok, Chon Buri, Chiang Mai and Phuket.

Another condition is that 60% of the population in the provinces should have three Covid-19 vaccines, he said.

Meanwhile, Dr Prasit Watanapa, dean of Mahidol University's Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, urged that 50% of the population receive booster doses, notably those in the high-risk 608 group, before the declaration of endemic status.

Dr Prasit said that as most people from foreign countries have received Covid-19 vaccine booster shots, their governments have also started to ease mask requirements in certain areas, such as open-air venues.

As the Omicron variant is not as deadly as other variants, he said many countries have eased entry measures including vaccine requirements, before declaring the disease endemic.

As such, the Thailand Pass registration may no longer be required for foreigners from June 1, but vaccines must be administered broadly, according to Dr Prasit.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... tain-areas
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:08 am Meanwhile my guess is for the time being face masks and social distancing will still be required in the bars everywhere in the country.

Face mask wearing hasn’t been required when eating or drinking for a long time.

So not required in bars...or am I missing something?
Jun

Post by Jun »

gerefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:13 amFace mask wearing hasn’t been required when eating or drinking for a long time.
Even the Junta might have noticed that eating with a mask isn't possible and whilst drinking with one is theoretically possible, via a drinking straw, I've never seen it.
Hence, as you say, masks have not been needed in bars, coffee shops or restaurants for some time. I can't see them reversing that decision.

If they don't want masks to be worn forever, the direction needs to be towards relaxing rules. Which is what's happening.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:13 am So not required in bars...or am I missing something?
I've seen no notices or publicity about it yet, although it is common for the police to go around to the bars and issue their edicts.

Whether or not masks will be required in the bars - we'll find out soon enough.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Although the latest article doesn't specifically say anything about face masks, it looks to me like the authorities want face masks to be worn. Of course I might be misinterpreting that. Different bars might have different rules. I am guessing the bars will not require face masks, but again nothing specific has yet been published about it.

I also expect, at least for a while, the police to go around inspecting the goings-on in the bars. We'll see.

Pattaya and Bangkok reopen pubs, bars, karaoke bars and massage parlors June 1

By Pattaya Mail

May 28, 2022

Nightclubs, bars, and other nightlife entertainment venues have been warned to strictly adhere to Covid-19 prevention measures as they prepare to reopen for business next month.

The Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has approved the reopening of nightlife entertainment venues in 31 provinces beginning on June 1, 2022. These venues include pubs, bars, karaoke bars, massage parlors, and other nightlife establishments. However, these business operators must strictly follow the Public Health Ministry’s Covid-free setting measures and close at midnight. They are also asked not to hold promotional events in order to avoid overcrowding which could turn these venues into new Covid-19 infection clusters.

Dr. Apisamai Srirangsan, the assistant spokesperson for the CCSA, reiterated that only nightlife outlets in 31 provinces, which consisted of 14 green and 17 blue zone designated provinces, will be allowed to reopen for business. The reopening of these venues for the 46 provinces designated as yellow zones is still under consideration since the number of infection cases remains high in some provinces.

The spokesperson added that some nightlife venues have already reopened without authorization. Authorities will issue warnings to these violators and will temporarily close their businesses if infections are found in their venues.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... e-1-399785
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Still confused about Thailand's entry requirements? Perhaps this will help:

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Still not a word specifically about social distancing and face mask rules. Don't forget to bring your proof of vaccination, which is probably on your mobile phone. The article does say that is a requirement for admission. Until we know how strictly enforced that might be, I'd say take it along - and don't let anyone pickpocket your phone . . .

I realize some may find these rules annoying and frustrating, but it's either that or the bars can't open at all. Don't forget, we still don't even know which go-go bars will open. On the "Bar opening and reopening announcements" topic so far we have information about only 2 go-go bars. It would be nice if other bars are going to open, they at least bother to let us know.

Thai Prime Minister orders strict enforcement of Covid-19 measures when nightlife venues legally reopen in some provinces on June First

By Adam Judd

28 May, 2022

Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has directed provincial governors to keep a close eye on entertainment businesses in the green and blue zones after being allowed to officially legally reopen their entertainment businesses on June 1st.

The nightlife industry has been legally shut since April of 2021 nationwide and has only been allowed since December to become modified restaurants with special rules and restrictions in order to open.

Green and blue zones are designations made by the Thai government by province that dictate the specific measures and restrictions in place to control Covid-19.

Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, spokesperson from the Prime Minister’s Office, revealed that the Prime Minister has ordered the provincial governors to conduct consistent inspections of the entertainment businesses including entertainment venues, pubs, bars, and karaoke venues in the green and blue zones to ensure their compliance with the Covid-19 preventive regulations, which are still in effect.

Some of the rules that will be enforced for the official legal reopening on June 1st include closing hours at midnight, avoiding sharing containers, and running ATK tests on staff.

It is also required that customers receive a full vaccination against Covid-19 and that venues check this at entry.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/28/t ... une-first/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Again no specific instructions about face masks and social distancing, but based on the articles I have been reading the powers-that-be intend to be strict about it. We are all used to strict rules applied to bars and then enforcement fizzles out, usually within a couple weeks. Whether that will happen this time remains to be seen. But saying that proof of vaccination and negative ATK test results as a requirement just to enter the venues tells me the authorities are going to want face masks and social distancing within the venues.

However, wanting those things and getting those things are two different stories without specific rules - and that means at this point it is anybody's guess as to what the bars and gay massages will do. And don't forget, at this point we still don't know how many go-go bars and how many gay massages and which ones will reopen June 1.

My own guess is, since no specific rules have been published, whatever the rules will be within the bars is being left in the hands of the police.

"Tomorrow. Tomorrow. I love ya, tomorrow. It's only a day away."
- song from 'Annie'

Chiang Mai’s nightlife to start buzzing again from June 1

by THE NATION

May 30, 2022

Chiang Mai’s night-time venues can start operating as normal from Wednesday now that the Covid-19 situation has improved, the authorities said.

Provincial governor Prajon Pratsakul said on Monday that he has approved the reopening of the northern city’s nightlife in line with the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA)’s regulations.

CCSA decided to allow the reopening of pubs, bars, karaoke outlets and massage parlours in green and blue zone provinces starting from June 1 now that the daily Covid-19 infections and fatalities have dropped.

Prajon said all venues will be closely monitored to ensure they strictly adhere to universal Covid-19 prevention measures.

Meanwhile, the manager of Sayuri Complex massage parlour in Chiang Mai’s Muang district welcomed the decision.

Somsak Chaiket said members of staff are happy that the parlour is reopening because they have been suffering from a loss of earnings since April 9, when the parlour was closed.

He said many customers had also called to check if the place was indeed opening on Wednesday, so he expects the place to be busy on the first day of reopening.

He said that the 50 staff members, including masseuses, have confirmed they will show up for work on Wednesday. The parlour used to employ more than 100 people before the pandemic, he said.

Chaiket said the parlour’s ventilation system has been improved and its set-up has met the Thai Stop Covid requirements.

Clients, meanwhile, will have to show proof of full vaccination and negative ATK test results before entering the venue, while its staff will be required to undergo tests every three days, he said.

Chaweewan Chaimanee, a cook at the complex, said she was happy to return to work after she has been without a regular income for more than a year. She said she has been relying on odd jobs to survive, adding that other members of the staff are excited to go back to work.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40016110