New 90-day address report online launched

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Re: New 90-day address report online launched

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:49 pm
2lz2p wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:34 pm Much to my surprise
Much to my own surprise is that you were able to do it online at all on the 24th when it was due by the 27th. Before, it was required to be less than 15 days before the due date, but greater than 7 days. Apparently that rule has changed.

Of course, I never saw anything announcing any rule changes. That part comes as no surprise . . .
The 24th is 3 days before the due date so within the time frame you mention. That is still the rule when reporting in person. However, for online reporting you can do it up to 15 days before till the due date, but not after the due date. I received the Immigration (noreply@) email reminder 15 days before it was due (the 12th).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:10 pm The 24th is 3 days before the due date so within the time frame you mention.
Not quite. According to the previous rule the online report had to be greater than 7 days in advance of the due date. They accepted your report 3 days in advance and on a Sunday too.

Sounds good to me.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:23 pm
2lz2p wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:10 pm The 24th is 3 days before the due date so within the time frame you mention.
Not quite. According to the previous rule the online report had to be greater than 7 days in advance of the due date. They accepted your report 3 days in advance and on a Sunday too.

Sounds good to me.
Is that the previous "online" reporting system? If so, I never could use it so didn't try to stay up with any rules that may apply for it. As mentioned, the new system is from 15 days before up to the due date.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:19 pm Is that the previous "online" reporting system?
That's right. Obviously they have relaxed the rules. Good. It would have been helpful if they had at least announced that, but I suppose that's too much to ask.

In any case, it doesn't matter much to me what the timeline rules are. The important thing is you can do these reports online rather than having to go to immigration. It's even better for people who live nowhere near an immigration office and either had to make a trip or send it in by mail. Being able to do it online must come as a major relief to those in that circumstance.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I have been using the online 90 day address reporting for my past 5 reports. Until this time, they have sent me a reminder email about 2 weeks before the due date. Convenient to get the reminder, but I still set up an alert in my calendar to let me know a week before my due date.

My due date was April 6 (today). I did the online report (successfully again) a week ago when I received my calendar alert. This time I did not receive an email notice it was due from Thai Immigration as in the past - UNTIL this morning, my inbox shows the reminder arrived at 1am - the due date. I have heard that you have to do the report online before the due date and it will not accept a report done on the due date itself. I'm not sure that is correct, but if it is, my reminder from Immigration would have been too late.

So, it was fortunate I also used a calendar alert - I'm just passing this on to let folks know not to rely on the Immigration notice as your only reminder.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Just a heads up. Immigration was closed today, April 6 , I was told it will be open tomorrow.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

The first time I did 90 online, I did so five days in advance not trusting Immigration to do the job properly. Surprisingly it did. However I discovered I'd lost 5 days from doing it early. I filed at 85 days and the calculation for the next 90 days began at 85 days. So beware!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:28 am the next 90 days began at 85 days. So beware!
For me it doesn't make much difference. You will receive an Email when the next report is due. Considering that it takes about 2 minutes to do, personally I don't care if I'm getting the full 90 days or not.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:33 am
thewayhelooks wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:28 am the next 90 days began at 85 days. So beware!
For me it doesn't make much difference. You will receive an Email when the next report is due. Considering that it takes about 2 minutes to do, personally I don't care if I'm getting the full 90 days or not.
I agree. When I was doing it in person, I usually did it sometime within the "window" (14 days early to 7 days late) dependent upon my schedule. Now that I am doing it online, I usually do it a week early (of course, doing it online, you can't do it late).

The next report has always been 90 days from the date I reported whether doing it online or in person. It never mattered to me whether there were a few "lost" days (filing early) or "gained" days (filing late).

Again a caution and the point of my most recent post - DO NOT RELY solely on getting the Immigration email that it is due as my most recent experience is that email didn't arrive until the actual due date.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I just did my 90-day address report online for the 7th time. I did get my reminder Email from immigration 2 weeks in advance of the due date. I filled out and submitted my report on Saturday and immediately received an Email acknowledgement that they received it. Then today, Sunday, to my surprise I received a third Email telling me that my report has been approved and ready for downloading. I was not expecting that to happen on a Sunday, but it did. Now my latest report is in my passport and the next one won't be due until late July.

However, as 2lz2p pointed out, don't rely on receiving the reminder Email. It is still your responsibility to do the report and submit it in time. If you fail to do it or forget to do it, three guesses who immigration will hold responsible - and fine. Make sure you get it done. If you're an expat, the last thing you need is for whatever reason end up on some sort of immigration shit list.

It is all working out very well for me. It's very simple to do, doesn't take longer than a couple minutes to do, and saves you a trip to immigration and perhaps long waits once you get there. It is especially a godsend for those who live nowhere near an immigration office.

Since it is so easy I don't have anything to complain about, although I still fail to see the point of doing these at all unless your residence address changes. But instead of trying to figure out the logic (or lack thereof) of it, if that's what immigration wants, just do it.