Thailand's 2pm-5pm alcohol ban being questioned

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Thailand's 2pm-5pm alcohol ban being questioned

Post by Gaybutton »

I certainly agree with this one. That ban has been on my "I Don't Get It" list since the day it was put in place. Who came up with it in the first place and actually convinced the powers-that-be that it's a good idea?

I'm glad to see a person in a position of authority who also doesn't get it and apparently wants to put an end to it.

Tourism minister questions Thailand’s 2pm-5pm alcohol ban

by webfact

November 30, 2021

Thailand's tourism minister Pipat Ratchakitprakan admitted to Thai media yesterday that he hadn't any idea why the country bans drinking from 2 pm to 5 pm in the afternoon.

He told Thai Rath it was like "lying to yourself" about reality.

"What is that for?," he pressed. "It's not as if drinkers haven't stocked up."

Now following a meeting with tourism industry people yesterday Pipat will be proposing new rules for restaurant dining in tourism areas so they can serve alcohol all day.

He said that ideally that will be 11 am to 11 pm or even midnight.

He plans to raise the matter with interior minister Anupong Paojinda and deputy health minister Sathit Pitudecha at the cabinet.

The move specifically related to 7 tourism provinces declared light blue zones and possibly 19 other light blue provinces.

Whether the minister can effect any change remains to be seen which can also be said for the countrywide alcohol sales ban that exists in places like supermarkets and 7-Eleven's during three hours in the afternoon.

This has been in place in Thailand for many years but nobody, including the minister, seems to understand why, notes ASEAN NOW.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1241322-tour ... cohol-ban/
Undaunted

Re: Thailand's 2pm-5pm alcohol ban being questioned

Post by Undaunted »

The above post is somewhat confusing; yes you are unable to buy alcohol in a retail store between 2-5 PM however, before the restaurant alcohol ban went into effect this restriction never applied to restaurants, the restriction for the sale of alcohol in stores males as much sense as hiding the cigarettes for sale in 7-11.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"