Anything and everything about Thailand
whitedesire

Re: Prime Minister vows November 1 reopening

Post by whitedesire »

Think I'll give thailand a miss until .... lol
Jun

Post by Jun »

whitedesire wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:34 pm Think I'll give thailand a miss until .... lol
I don't want to wait too long. Whilst I hope to be around for many years, none of us are getting any younger AND what's available to us in the next 6 months isn't necessarily going to be available to us in 6 years time.

When I first came to Pattaya, there must have been about 10 gogo bars in Sunee Plaza and a similar number near Boyztown. Mostly gone.

Then, I had this idea of my first visit to Bali in the summer of 2020, with other destinations queued up for the winter seasons, including return visits to The Philippines, Myanmar, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Covid stopped all that for now. Even when covid restrictions are dropped, who knows if Myanmar will be safe following the regime change ?

I hope to be in Thailand within 5~8 weeks. Enjoying what IS available in 2021.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Nothing like adding to the confusion. Now Thailand's controversial health minister, Anutin, is saying tourists arriving in Thailand will have to stay one night in a place where they can be contacted. He doesn't even say it has to be the first night, although I'd say that's a fair assumption.

I don't know - were any of you planning to stay in a place where you cannot be contacted?

And contacted about what? Wouldn't that be great? After your long haul flight, about 4:00am your room phone rings. When you groggily answer you hear a bright, cheerful, bubbly voice saying, "Hi. Just contacting you to wish you a pleasant stay."

I'm waiting for them to try to contact someone and their room phone is out of order - assuming you're even in your room when they call. Maybe it won't be a phone call at all. Knock on your room door and there stands a couple police officers.

I don't suppose providing a Thai mobile phone number would suffice. Many, especially returning tourists, probably have one. Of course, if you don't have one, don't forget it can be a pain just to get one - filling out a form and presenting your passport.

With all these rules and constant new hoops to jump through, I hope those going to Thailand for a holiday will be able to find enough time to actually have an unimpeded holiday - at least for a day or two . . .
______________________________________________________________________________________

Anutin confirms reopening plan: Tourists must stay one night in place "where they can be contacted"

by webfact

October 19, 2021

Thailand's deputy prime minister and health mninister Anutin Charnvirakul confirmed that tourists arriving in Thailand will have to stay one night in a place where they can be contacted.

He did not refer to this as quarantine by name.

He was addressing concerns about the reopening of Thailand as he presented his plans for 2022 to health officials nationwide via online links.

He confirmed that potential tourists must take RT-PCR tests before and after arrival in Thailand, be double vaxed and have "fit-to-fly" documentation.

Referring to this, he promised better communication with the people when making policy decisions in the future.

ASEAN NOW notes that there has been considerable confusion as to what "no quarantine" means when visiting Thailand from next month.

Many people have pointed out that one night is still quarantine of sorts.

Depite his promise of better communication the minister didn't elaborate on what kind of hotel the tourists would have to stay in, just that they needed to be contactable.

INN reported the minister's 2022 policy report without criticism or comment.

Anutin claimed he had created 45,242 new jobs in public health, provided benefits to workers and said that his staff could have faith in the system and other institutions.

He came up with the mantra of "Healthy people - Healthy Economy - Healthy Thailand" for his 2022 priorities.

He had a nine point plan that included measures to help the economy get back on its feet, developments of health systems at local levels, expansions of the 30 baht universal health coverage and particular attention paid to the health needs of the elderly.

Also among his aims were better cancer care with more surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy services available to the public at state hospitals.

He also mentioned his favorite hobbyhorse that helped propel him to power - the promotion of marijuana and hemp health products to "give people an income and create jobs".

He thanked health professionals nationwide for their efforts in the pandemic saying that he had worked 24/7 on that and PM2.5 and flooding problems.

He claimed that Thailand had faced up to the challenge of Covid-19 and got through it emphasising that 2022 would see further challenges especially in getting the economy back on track and getting more people back to work again.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1235967-anut ... contacted/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The part about having to download and install a specified app means incoming travelers must have a smartphone, apparently charged up. I don't know whether that also requires a Thai telephone number, but I am guessing that is not required, at least for that. I don't see how they can expect incoming travelers to arrive with a Thai telephone number.

One question I have not seen addressed - if people have had Covid and were cured, does that make them immune to the point a second injection - or even a first injection - is medically necessary? I don't know. But if it isn't necessary, how will Thailand be dealing with that circumstance?

Thailand sets out seven conditions for foreign arrivals without quarantine

by webfact

October 21, 2021

From November 1st, foreign tourists arriving in Thailand, without being required to enter quarantine, must meet seven conditions, according to the Bureau of Risk Communication and Health Behavior Promotion of the Disease Control Department, Wednesday.

Foreign arrivals must:

. Come from countries specified by the Thai Public Health Ministry as being low risk and arrive by air.
. Have certificates to confirm that they have received two doses of a recognised COVID-19 vaccine.
. Have negative COVID-19 results from RT-PCR tests conducted within 72 hours prior to arrival in Thailand.
. Have a minimum of US$50,000 health insurance coverage.
. Have written/electronic confirmation of hotel bookings in Thailand.
. Download and install a specified app upon arrival at the airport and undergo RT-PCR tests within 24 hours of arrival.
. Have negative test results before travelling domestically without quarantine.

The government’s policy of reopening the country to foreign travellers is based on three models.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1236233-thai ... uarantine/
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:02 am One question I have not seen addressed - if people have had Covid and were cured, does that make them immune to the point a second injection - or even a first injection - is medically necessary? I don't know. But if it isn't necessary, how will Thailand be dealing with that circumstance?
I don't think anything currently available makes us immune, but vaccines and having the disease significantly increase our resistance to it.

There is a similar issue where young people in the UK who have had covid have a recommendation not to get the vaccine until a certain time period afterwards. They want documentary proof to travel to certain European countries.

I've had my 2 AZ jabs and will have an mRNA booster at the first opportunity.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The latest official information about what international travelers need to do to enter Thailand is clearly explained in the October 22 "Headline News"

See: viewtopic.php?p=105679#p105679

This is the official information now.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I realize I may be overly pessimistic, but all this reopening talk reminds me of the movie, "Suppose They Gave a War and Nobody Came". We'll see what happens, but I won't be at all surprised if "Suppose They Gave a Reopening and Nobody Came".