Visa Advice

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichLB

Visa Advice

Post by RichLB »

Luckily I have a non-immigrant O visa, but several of my friends are not as lucky. They hold the OA visa and are over 80 years old. Their understanding is in order to get an extension of their "retirement" visa they will be required to have health insurance from the list of approved companies. Unfortunately, none of these firms will insure such senior citizens - even with an exorbitant premium. Does anyone know of a work-around they might try? Some have explored returning to their home country, returning to Thailand with a tourist visa, and then applying for an O visa once they are here. Given the uncertainty of whether they can even get flights to or from Thailand and not knowing what will be required of them even if they can return, they are understandably worried. If anyone has any advice I will forward it to them and they will certainly appreciate the information.
Undaunted

Re: Visa Advice

Post by Undaunted »

Contact Key Visa no fee for a consultation: https://www.keyvisathailand.com/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 pm Some have explored returning to their home country, returning to Thailand with a tourist visa, and then applying for an O visa once they are here.
If they go that route, I suggest they check to make sure that would work. Those who already hold the O visa don't have to meet that requirement. However, it might be a different story for those applying for an original O visa.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:30 am
RichLB wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:50 pm Some have explored returning to their home country, returning to Thailand with a tourist visa, and then applying for an O visa once they are here.
If they go that route, I suggest they check to make sure that would work. Those who already hold the O visa don't have to meet that requirement. However, it might be a different story for those applying for an original O visa.
Following that route may have a drawback because the financial requirements for obtaining a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa from Thai Immigration varies from that required for extensions of permitted stay.

The financial requirements for obtaining the Non-Immigrant "O" Visa within Thailand is 800k in a Thai bank from a source outside of Thailand.

Thus those previously using:
  • 800k in a Thai bank may not be able to use those funds unless they can show its original source was from outside of Thailand (it is possible the Thai Immigration Office may not insist on this proof, but one should be aware they can if they strictly follow the rules).
  • 65k monthly income cannot use that method to obtain the Non-O Visa, but it can be used to extend the the permitted stay for another year past the initial 90 days given when the Visa is issued by Thai Immigration
A Visa agent, such as the one mentioned, may be able to overcome those issues for a fee, but before leaving Thailand, they may want consult with the agent before they take that step. Also, it is possible that the Visa agent may be able to obtain the extension renewal without the need to leave Thailand even though the person does not have the required health insurance policy.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:44 am Following that route may have a drawback because the financial requirements for obtaining a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa from Thai Immigration varies from that required for extensions of permitted stay.
That is a very good point. I hadn't thought of that. But obviously people do get the O visa. The problem might be immigration knows what people are trying to do and they might be ready for it - and who knows whether they will approve or reject.

Maybe this is a foolish question, but has anyone thought of just going to immigration, explaining their predicament, and asking immigration what to do? That's what I would do before going to a visa agent or just leaving the country and returning with a tourist visa but not knowing what I will face and what will actually happen when I go to immigration to try to get the O visa.

The issue seems to be the insurance requirement. They might call their embassy, explain their predicament, and see if the embassy knows of any insurance companies that will accept them. Can't hurt to try.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Another problem. If they leave Thailand, no matter what kind of visa they can get, to get back into Thailand they will still need the certificate of entry. And to get the certificate of entry they need to have US $100000 worth of Covid travel insurance. If for whatever reason they can't get the insurance, they can't get the CoE. If they can't get the CoE, they won't be allowed back into Thailand. They won't even be allowed to board flights to Thailand.

They better do a lot more than just be worried about it. I hope whatever it takes to solve their problem, if indeed it can be solved, they are able to get it done while they are still in Thailand. Once they leave Thailand, it becomes much more complicated and difficult. I think of it like toothpaste. Once it's out of the tube, it's not going back in . . .