Huh? What? Proof of vaccination to dine in to be reinstated?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Huh? What? Proof of vaccination to dine in to be reinstated?

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:16 pm
I mentioned this to my better-half (Jai), and he thinks it's intended more for Thais than farang
He might be right, but nothing I've seen in the media hints at that. Even if he is right, that still makes no sense to me.

If nothing else, it will be interesting to see how many farang restaurants do comply if they go through with this. I'm with you. If it becomes necessary to jump through hoops to eat in a restaurant, then I won't be eating in a restaurant.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:02 am
I wish someone could explain to me the logic of allowing restaurants to operate freely, with the exception of the closing hours, in September, but even if no Covid problems associated with it occur, they still want to impose these rules in October. WHY?
I've already explained what may well be the main reason to require vaccination for restaurants. It's to persuade people to get vaccinated, in a country that probably cannot compel them to be vaccinated.

The UK has similar rules for entry to night clubs, coming in in late September. I'm all in favour of it. Make life as awkward as possible for the anti-vaxers. Then eventually abolish the rule.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:04 am
I've already explained what may well be the main reason to require vaccination for restaurants.
It's not just that. And if they need to require vaccinations, why are they waiting until October? That makes no sense to me. Why not require it now? And meanwhile I have seen no reports at all of any Covid cases traced back to restaurants.

It is also this absurd app and these other stringent rules. If I have something to show my vaccination status (and I'll be surprised if many restaurants actually ask for it, rules or not) that won't be a problem.

But if they also require use of an app, seating too much of a distance from whoever you're eating with, and whatever else, go ahead and go to restaurants if you want to, but not me. I wouldn't enjoy eating that way.

In my opinion some of these rules are proposed and imposed by people who have neither the competence, expertise, nor qualifications to do so. I truly believe somebody proposes a rule, it sounds good to them at first, and the rule gets imposed without having been well thought through. I try to obey most of the rules, but I admit I do ignore some of the more absurd rules. My favorite rule to ignore is wearing a mask when I'm alone in my car. I put on the mask upon arrival at my destination, before getting out of the car, but I'd like someone to explain the need to wear a mask while in the car, driving alone.

In other words, my "I Don't Get It" list keeps right on growing Sometimes I think I ought to contact Guinness World Records to see if I qualify for the world's longest list. Of course, Trump's enemies list probably would be the winner . . .

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:37 am
It's not just that. And if they need to require vaccinations, why are they waiting until October? That makes no sense to me. Why not require it now?
Since the purpose of the rule is to persuade people to get vaccinated, it also makes sense to allow people time to get the vaccination before implementation.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:13 pm
Since the purpose of the rule is to persuade people to get vaccinated, it also makes sense to allow people time to get the vaccination before implementation.
You can believe that if you want to. I don't agree with you. First, who says persuading people to get vaccinated is the purpose of the rule? I haven't seen anything or any news articles to indicate that is the purpose. Where are you getting that from?

Second, what do you think people have been doing? Haven't you seen the photos and videos of the crowds of hundreds, even thousands, of people at the vaccination centers?

Do you truly believe people who have not been vaccinated are going to do so just to be able to eat in a restaurant, especially when they know damned well there will be plenty of restaurants that won't comply? By that logic, why have the restaurants already been allowed to open whether the customers have been vaccinated or not? I don't see where logic fits into the October rule at all.

Right now I can eat in any restaurant I want - no questions asked. But beginning in October, now I can't unless I can prove I've been fully vaccinated. Maybe that makes sense to you. It makes none to me.

And why October? Even a huge number of people who do want to be vaccinated and already have had their first jab won't have been given their second jab until it is nearly November.

If they really want to persuade people to get vaccinated, all they have to do is publicize that once a certain number of people have been vaccinated, now the bars can reopen and liquor can be served in restaurants. Then they'll get themselves vaccinated . . .

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:42 pm
what do you think people have been doing? Haven't you seen the photos and videos of the crowds of hundreds, even thousands, of people at the vaccination centers?
The people who want vaccines will get them as soon as possible.
Then when they have vaccinated a certain percentage of the population, demand for vaccines slows down as they are into the anti-vaxxers or the morons who read some nonsense on Facebook and believe it. That's when some methods are needed to persuade people to take up vaccines.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:05 pm
That's when some methods are needed to persuade people to take up vaccines.
I agree with that, but this vaccine rule, in my opinion, is not one of those methods. If it is, I don't see that it has a prayer of working. After all, how many people who have not been vaccinated will now rush to get vaccinated so they can dine-in at a restaurant? I believe very few, if any.

RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Adding to that is the problem of Thais who are not Pattaya citizens but who live here - some for multiple years. As far as I can see there is no way for them to get vaccinated locally. The mass event at the sports arena only serves native Pattaya citizens. Traveling to Bangkok, for many if not most, is expensive if not impossible for many. Just how do our Thai friends born outside Pattaya get vaccinated?

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:19 pm
Just how do our Thai friends born outside Pattaya get vaccinated?
So far they don't. At least they don't anywhere I know of in Pattaya. That causes me to wonder about that 70% vaccinated goal. Are they going to be counted in that? If not, then that magic percent will be highly inaccurate compared to the number of people actually living in Pattaya.

That's yet another one for my "I Don't Get It" list. Now that there seems to be enough vaccine for all, even if it's Sinovac, why can't these people get it? Why do they either have to return to their home provinces, many of which will require them to be quarantined, or go to Bangkok?

My usual question - whose idea was it to make it so difficult for these people to get vaccinated, especially since Thailand wants everyone vaccinated (or so they say)? And now with the availability of vaccines, why is this rule not changing?

And why do they have to go to the sports stadium to get vaccinated? Probably many of them don't even know that Pattaya has a sports stadium, let alone how to get there.

Up2u

Post by Up2u »

RichLB wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:19 pm
Adding to that is the problem of Thais who are not Pattaya citizens but who live here - some for multiple years. As far as I can see there is no way for them to get vaccinated locally. The mass event at the sports arena only serves native Pattaya citizens. Traveling to Bangkok, for many if not most, is expensive if not impossible for many. Just how do our Thai friends born outside Pattaya get vaccinated?
Vaccination for Thais (as for for foreigners) is based on age (and other health criteria) and not residency. The problem now is the shortage of vaccines. I know several Thais under 60, from Issarn, who work at night markets got their first jab (Sinovac) a few weeks. Yesterday at Central Festival Dept store the staff are wearing badges (I'm Vaccinated). Chatted with one staff in cosmetics from Buriram and she got Sinopharm. The big retailers and companies get their staff vaccinated as it is the cost of doing business but smaller shops may see it as a costly. burden.