Pattaya Reopening? Here is Adam Judd's fact check

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Reopening? Here is Adam Judd's fact check

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:34 am Operating Pattaya as some kind of open prison is even more so.
Let's not forget they've even talked about requiring tourists to have some sort of tracking device. As far as I know that idea hasn't gone anywhere. I hope they've rejected that lunacy. I don't know how it was supposed to help anything in the first place.

Can you imagine? Ankle bracelets as you exit the airplane . . .

Bangkok Herald wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:06 pm The “sealed route” travel will continue for a second week, with tourists only allowed to visit predetermined, “family-friendly” sites, such as Big Buddha Hill and Nong Nooch Tropical Garden, again with a government chaperone and only when Thai tourists aren’t there.
I like this one. How, exactly, are they planning to work that? When are Thai tourists, or Thai locals, not at these places? What are they going to do, have set times when Thais are not allowed? Have squadrons of police clearing out the Thais when these chaperoned groups are coming? That should be good for a laugh if the chaperones are going to take these people on a shopping trip to Terminal 21.

Maybe local farang expats can sneak in on some of these fabulous tours. "Hey Phil, did you hear? Today they are taking them to the Pattaya Sheep Farm. Oh boy! Family Friendly! Maybe we can go too. I hope you don't mind waking up a little early. They're taking the tour group at 4:00am. That's when they can be sure Thai tourists won't be there."

Give me a break.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:24 am I like this one. How, exactly, are they planning to work that? When are Thai tourists, or Thai locals, not at these places?
Good point.

So The Big Plan is to vaccinate at least 70% of the Pattaya population before allowing foreign tourists in who have had numerous covid tests, been through semi quarantine, and only allowed in certain areas ...whilst being tracked and chaperoned.

All in the name of “safety”.

So, playing them at their own game, I suggest they ban Thai Tourists ...unless of course they are prepared to comply.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40 am All in the name of “safety”.
Well, don't worry. Whole new worlds just might open for them once they figure out to offer 500 baht or so for the chaperones to look the other way when they want to disappear for a while . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Sorry Brits. It looks like you're not going to Thailand any time soon whether Thailand opens up or not.

See: viewtopic.php?p=105386#p105386
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:39 pm Sorry Brits. It looks like you're not going to Thailand any time soon whether Thailand opens up or not.
I can assure you there are board members who will take no notice of the UK traffic light system at all when planning a winter break.
What counts is whether or not Thailand is on the red list when we return to the UK, which is a few months in the future.
If it still is, we just spend a couple of weeks in a non-red list country on the way home. Boris can stick his over priced quarantine up his ****.

The only other minor detail is regular UK travel insurance policies will be invalid. So I just look a bit harder to find one that is suitable.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:09 am I can assure you there are board members who will take no notice of the UK traffic light system at all when planning a winter break.
Meaning that is what you are going to do. With all the hoops to jump through just trying to be able to go to Thailand, plus what you may face upon return, I don't understand why necessarily Thailand, especially since at this point there is no way to know what will even be open once you get there, but everyone has to make his own decisions. Aren't there other easier places to go where you can escape the harsh winter and everything is open?

Even those of us who live in Thailand have hoops to jump through. For example if they really impose the new restaurant restrictions in October, then I, for one, won't be bothering with dining in at restaurants. Also, despite that there is no evidence that there will be any changes in retirement visa requirements for expats, some still are now living in fear that immigration might impose new requirements they cannot meet. That affects even me. I don't expect any changes, but I am still reluctant to go to the 65,000 baht per month option rather than getting my next retirement visa extension via the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account option.

If you do go through with it, I hope it all goes well for you. Are any more of you from the UK planning to do this?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:42 am Meaning that is what you are going to do.
I think there are at least a couple of us and probably a few more. As long as it's possible to avoid quarantine on the way home by spending 2 weeks in a third country, then anyone planning a long trip should not be put off.

As for the "Easier Places" question, well if there is another country that is interesting AND has hardly any restrictions, I'll go there instead.
However, countries like Cambodia and The Philippines are places where I would contemplate a long trip, but they still have restrictions.

Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia & Indonesia are places I might go to for a shorter trip, but they still have restrictions.

I'm not sure the boys are my type in Latin America & I like to go somewhere where I can walk around at any time of day or night, without an unreasonable fear of getting mugged.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:42 am Are any more of you from the UK planning to do this?
Yes me!

As Jun says the Red List is not a concern. My plan is be to come in December and stay until March or April.

The Red List is NOT a ban from visiting Thailand it just means quarantine on return.

The only thing that will stop me coming is the continued closure of entertainment.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:07 pm The only thing that will stop me coming is the continued closure of entertainment.
Even if entertainment is open, I hope the powers-that-be don't over-regulate to the point that it wouldn't be any fun.

In a way, this illustrates Thailand's tourist industry problem. A few years ago people from the UK went to Thailand in droves and flights were usually full. Now, given the circumstances, so far a grand total of 2 board members are saying they are actively making plans to go to Thailand, and even then only if the situation works out the way they hope it will. Both are planning to stay in Thailand for months. Not a single board member has said anything about actively planning to go to Thailand for a 1 or 2 week holiday any time soon.

In Bangkok, taxi drivers have actually been planting vegetable gardens on the roofs of their taxis since so many taxis are idle. In Pattaya, not a word lately about building the tram or building the high speed rail link.

I wish I had some idea how in the end this will all play out, but I don't. I can't even guess.