Pattaya Reopening? Here is Adam Judd's fact check

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya Reopening? Here is Adam Judd's fact check

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:31 pm I'm guessing the curfew will be gone by December.
Suppose the curfew really is gone by December. You did not address my question. What do you plan to do when you get to Thailand? What do you expect to be available and running satisfactorily by December?

I can't know what you're looking for, but whatever it is, I hope you won't end up disappointed.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:58 pm What do you plan to do when you get to Thailand? What do you expect to be available and running satisfactorily by December?
Plan ? I haven't got that far yet.
If no sandbox needed:
1 Bangkok 3~4 days. Wander around, do some sightseeing, drink coffee, meet some lads on the phone apps and visit a few bars if open.
2 Pattaya 3~4 weeks. Wander around, drink coffee, meet some lads on the phone apps & would hope to visit a few bars. If I get my act together with a driving permit, I might just hire a car for some local sightseeing.
3 Travel around Thailand (Plane, train, bus)
4 Return to Pattaya, probably via Bangkok.

Estimate of what might be open:
Numerous Jomtien bars
Perhaps a couple of gogo bars, but not the 8~9 gogo bars that were remaining pre-covid
At least 10 massage shops with male masseurs
Grindr, Hornet, Romeo

Even if there were no gogo bars, this is no worse than most of the alternative holiday destinations.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

They have been talking about mandatory tracking devices for tourists. If they impose that, what effect, if any, would that have on your plans?

What about those of you looking for a 2 or 3 week holiday? What do you think of all this?
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:45 pm They have been talking about mandatory tracking devices for tourists. If they impose that, what effect, if any, would that have on your plans?

What about those of you looking for a 2 or 3 week holiday? What do you think of all this?
If Thailand has a tracking device for tourists, it depends on the rules and what the alternative holidays are.
If I had to have a tracking device just for the duration of a sandbox, I don't see a problem, since the purpose is to ensure people respect the sandbox rules.
After the sandbox, I don't see the purpose of a tracker and would not approve. So if there was a reasonable alternative holiday option, I might just go elsewhere.

Those going for a 2 week holiday are likely to be mostly put off by the paperwork and sandbox rules. There might be a few who want to do 2~4 weeks, but get put off by the combination of Thai restrictions and UK red zone rules. For a long holiday, the UK red zone shouldn't be a problem. 3 months in Thailand, 10 days in Spain, then fly to the UK.

All of the above is based on the assumption that Thailand is reopening bars, restaurants etc.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

It’s simple for me ...

As I have said before bars need to be open and so does entertainment. No silly curfew.

That said I will come and stay 3/4 months. And do the quarantine.

In other words the same as last year.

Failing these requirements, I will not be coming to Thailand. Easy decision.

As for people coming for short time...forget it unless there is no quarantine and entertainment is open.

Thailand can (and will!) make it as complicated as they like but I think most will look at it as I do.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

So far it does look like they really are going through with those restrictions in October.

I played around with that "Thai Save Thai" app and found there is an English version, but read on.

When you first open the app, at the top right of your screen click the 3 lines. Now a small menu will appear, entirely in Thai. Touch the second item down and now the app appears in English.

However, whoever programmed this seems to have forgotten that part of the registration process is still entirely in Thai, so you probably will need help registering.

Then there is a whole series of absurdly complex questions to answer. At least they are in English. All the information you enter will be saved. On the last screen you can amend the information later if anything changes.

Once you've done all that and saved all that, I have no idea what happens next if a venue wants to see it considering it will now all be in English.

The whole thing and its concept seems bizarre to me, but there it is if you want to try it.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

They can stick that app right up their asses.

If a Vaccination Certificate isn't good enough for them, I'll be eating at home and cutting my own hair.
Jun

Post by Jun »

If Thailand ever wants to both require proof of vaccination to dine out AND decides to properly open up to mass tourism, they will need easy ways of checking foreign vaccination records as well. Should not be difficult.

However, I would suggest that they need to run all these vaccination checks as a short term policy, mainly as part of a set of "carrot and stick" incentives to persuade everyone to take up vaccines when offered. Once the vaccination programme is winding down in 2022, keeping up incentives is less critical.
Of course, to ensure maximum effectiveness, they should not declare that the policy is short term until they end it.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:40 pm If Thailand ever wants to both require proof of vaccination to dine out AND decides to properly open up to mass tourism, they will need easy ways of checking foreign vaccination records as well. Should not be difficult.
It only becomes difficult when Thailand starts playing with "apps". By the time this crazy app they're talking about now gets debugged and actually works the dinosaurs will be roaming the earth again.

Seriously, I just printed a reduced scaled Vaccination Certificate which, when folded in half, fits in my Passport Book. I plan to carry this with me as long as Chonburi is coded "Dark Red". Any restaurant who doesn't like the size of my Certificate just lost a customer.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:47 am Any restaurant who doesn't like the size of my Certificate just lost a customer.
You definitely are not alone in that. I, and I think many, have no intention of having to jump through hoops just to eat in a restaurant, even if it is a favorite. They can forget all about that as far as I'm concerned. I've managed to survive quite nicely for months eating at home by ordering from delivery services or doing my own cooking. If the powers-that-be can't be satisfied with the way restaurants are operating during September and want to impose this nonsense in October, sorry restaurants, but I think you'll end up suffering yet again until you can get them to rescind this crap.

I wish someone could explain to me the logic of allowing restaurants to operate freely, with the exception of the closing hours, in September, but even if no Covid problems associated with it occur, they still want to impose these rules in October. WHY?

"I fail to see what purpose would be served."
- Gregory Peck (Gen. Douglas MacArthur), 'MacArthur'