AstraZeneca VS Pfizer Efficacy Against Covid Variants

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Re: AstraZeneca VS Pfizer Efficacy Against Covid Variants

Post by 2lz2p »

whitedesire wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:07 pm Statistics statistics statistics that's all I hear and how good they are and yes the rule is anything with a 50% efficacy rating goes on the market, but that still doesn't alter the fact that the death rate is still high and double jabbed people are catching it. To put it in perspective, I never heard or very rarely heard of people who were vaccinated against measles rubella shingles flu need I go on of catching it. There's too many incidences of double jabbed covid cases out there and as for the Chinese version of the jab, we'll.
If a person has one foot in a bucket of ice and the other in a bucket of boiling water, a statistician will say on the average they are comfortable. ;)

As for other vaccines, you can now say you have heard of a person vaccinated against shingles who then developed a case. At the time I obtained the vaccine, I knew from doing some research it would not guarantee I wouldn't get it, but it should result in a milder case. About 2 years later when I went to see a dermatologist about a severe rash on my right shoulder blade going under my arm onto my right breast, I was still surprised when he said I had shingles. :o I will say this, if I had a mild case, I feel very sorry for those that have a serious case - I needed pain medication for 3 months and now over 6 months later, I still have itchiness of the skin on my right shoulder blade if touched - fortunately no longer severe.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whitedesire wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:07 pm Statistics statistics statistics that's all I hear and how good they are
I agree. I couldn't care less about statistics, charts, data, "expert" opinions, or anything else. What I care about is doing what I can to prevent getting Covid. My feeling is after the second dose I am less likely to get it, but more likely to survive if I do get it.

If you're looking for an opinion, here's mine: I believe anyone, no matter which vaccines they get, who assumes now he is immune to Covid and it is no longer necessary to follow the precautions - all the precautions - is a damned fool.
Jun

Post by Jun »

gerefan wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:59 am Were both of these people double jabbed?

Clearly the first one should not have been a covid statistic...even more so if he had been inoculated.

Was the second chap jabbed? Did he have other medical conditions?

Hard to know if they were genuine covid deaths, the way things are judged here.
Both deaths were in 2020, before vaccination. The first one was dying anyway, so at worst, covid might have shortened the process by a few days.
I'm not aware of any underlying conditions in the 94 year old, other than being 94. Personally, I'd take surviving to 94.

I agree that counting everyone who dies within 28 days of a positive covid test as a covid death is too severe. Looking at excess deaths would be better, although since much of the NHS has ceased to bother providing proper care, even that will include other deaths.

I know of no one who has died since vaccination. I know of some who had covid and didn't even know they had it post vaccination.

So by my "on the ground" observation, covid is no problem at all. Of course, relying on such "on the ground" information will be highly misleading.
Worse still would be to rely on the one off cases reported by journalists -it's just some item selected to further whatever bullshit agenda they have.

A more reliable way to understand what's going on is to look at the data, then consider how it's measured etc.

Incidentally, the thread title refers to vaccine efficacy, which by definition relies on data. As long as the data is collected and interpreted by independent bodies, it's going to be reliable. Better still, if there are studies in multiple countries.

(And no, I don't trust data from any body answerable to the Chinese communist party).
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

Jun wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:39 pm I know of no one who has died since vaccination.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-58330796

She did!
Jun

Post by Jun »

whitedesire wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:36 am She did!
I'm talking of people I KNOW of personally or via the family.

I don't even read newspaper covid reports of one off individuals that I don't know.
That's no way to assess the state of the pandemic & it's necessary to check the statistics. Particularly if the topic is efficacy.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

Now that's being a bit flippant Jun saying "I don't know".

Most of this Covid reporting is basically around the media and its outlets and that's what we have to rely on.

And yes we've been over and over about the stats again, its efficacy etc and yes the high efficacy rates etc etc. Need I go on? And I'm a strong believer of these stats, we need them or else how are we going identify how to tackle these situations? And I'm well aware that the risk of catching and what happens to you etc, well aware of that.

But then I turn to what is actually happening out there, and why is it happening, irrespective of who it is or if I know them. I'm hearing day in day out people being infected, it's increasing, people dying, long Covid and yet so many people are vaccinated. It doesn't add up vs the stats. The Delta variant hasn't helped.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whitedesire wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:34 am But then I turn to what is actually happening out there, and why is it happening, irrespective of who it is or if I know them. I'm hearing day in day out people being infected, it's increasing, people dying, long Covid and yet so many people are vaccinated. It doesn't add up vs the stats. The Delta variant hasn't helped.
I certainly agree. I also dislike Thailand trying to paint an "everything will be ok" rosy picture. I'm sorry, but I don't think everything will be ok, at least not my idea of ok. I hope it will, but so far that just is not what I'm seeing.

"It'll be shit."
- Tony Curtis (Louis 'Lepke' Buchalter), 'Lepke'
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

I think we are on the same page GB, its not what is going on out there is it! It's not a rosy picture out there at all.

Hopefully, there are going to be better variants of the vaccination, i.e. tweaks, I think there's some on the horizon as we speak.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whitedesire wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:06 am I think there's some on the horizon as we speak.
If there are, I wonder what we'll have to go through and how long we'll have to wait before we get can them . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

If we look at the timeline in 2020 as a reminder, some of the original vaccines were designed within days of the genetic sequence for coronavirus being posted (11 Jan 2020).
It then took a few months to do phase 1 trials, followed by a few more months to do phase 3. Some results were available in the autumn.
Vaccines had EMERGENCY USE authorization in Dec 2020 and the vaccination programme scaled up in early 2021.
So about 1 year, which is very good.
I think some vaccines recently got full approval in the US.

So most of the time was testing, approval and manufacturing.

Vaccines for various other variants, such as the South African variant (AZN) and even multiple variants are under development, but it seems necessary to search for this information, rather than just finding it in regular news.

Pfizer-Biontech are only about to start trials of a Delta variant vaccine. So that's some way off. https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... +in+August

Applying common sense, one would think the manufacturing scale up might be quicker in future, however, whether or not the authorities decide "Emergency Use Authorization" is appropriate is another question.