AstraZeneca VS Pfizer Efficacy Against Covid Variants

Anything and everything about Thailand
whitedesire

Re: AstraZeneca VS Pfizer Efficacy Against Covid Variants

Post by whitedesire »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:14 am
whitedesire wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:06 am I think there's some on the horizon as we speak.
If there are, I wonder what we'll have to go through and how long we'll have to wait before we get can them . . .
You're so right GB, although I did read next June, a long way off.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

For everyone's information "long Covid" is now becoming a problem with people who have been vaccinated. On top of that, there is a new strain, called "Mu" strain.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whitedesire wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 am "long Covid"
I had never heard of "long Covid" until your post. I had to look it up:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57833394

As far as I know, this new MU variant has not reached Thailand - yet, but it is probably inevitable that sooner or later it will get here. Lord only knows what the next set of closings and restrictions will be once it does, especially if it starts rapidly spreading.

For information about the MU variant, see: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/07/mu-covi ... rning.html
Jun

Post by Jun »

The UK experts have recommended the use of booster doses, of either Pfizer OR a half-dose of Moderna, taken at least 6 months after the second vaccine dose.
Moderna appears to be the most effective of the vaccines & I read somewhere that it contains more mRNA than the Pfizer vaccine.
The experts also stated that Moderna have applied for authorization of half doses for boosters in the US and Europe.

Given the 6 month minimum interval, I would hope to be on holiday in Thailand, or possibly somewhere else just before I'm eligible for a booster in the UK.
Hopefully private Thai hospitals will be offering vaccines to non-residents on a purely commercial basis by then.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:15 am
whitedesire wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 am "long Covid"
I had never heard of "long Covid" until your post. I had to look it up:
Long Covid has been known for many months in the U.K.
It is a serious problem and special research centres have been set up to investigate it.

Today's bulletin from the CCSA mentions is as a problem.
They say :
*Long COVID-19 symptoms*
- The Ministry of Public Health reported that about 10-20% of COVID-19 patients in Thailand are suffering a post-syndrome, also known as 'long COVID' symptoms after their recovery.
- The Long COVID displays symptoms of fatigue, muscle pain, headache, and depression. These may occur from the body's reaction or side effects of drugs administered to the patients during treatment and some conditions linger beyond the period of treatment. Age, obesity and daily steroid use are among the factors that increase the prevalence of long COVID symptoms. As statistics have shown, the symptoms will take about 6 months to a year to recover from. However, these symptoms may be alleviated by vaccines. People who have received COVID-19 vaccine have less chance of getting long COVID symptoms as the vaccine provides protection against the condition.

If you watch the CCSA bulletin, she starts to talk about it at 15 minutes in.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

whitedesire wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 am For everyone's information "long Covid" is now becoming a problem with people who have been vaccinated. On top of that, there is a new strain, called "Mu" strain.
Yes -- 'on top of that'.
I don't think there is any connection between the two.
I read that MU is not new and in fact was the dominant strain in Columbia since detected in January.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

whitedesire wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:11 am On top of that, there is a new strain, called "Mu" strain.
I'm more worried about the "Pi" variant, expected to surface around March 14 next year - it will be 3.1415926535897932384626433832795 times more contagious than the current variants but will only infect nerds
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!