Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

AstraZeneca VS Pfizer Efficacy Against Covid Variants

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
whitedesire

Re: AstraZeneca VS Pfizer Efficacy Against Covid Variants

Post by whitedesire »

However in the UK, the over 50s and vulnerable people are being given a booster in the autumn and they are going to use Pfizer because of its high efficacy against variants.
Jun

Post by Jun »

whitedesire wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:59 am However in the UK, the over 50s and vulnerable people are being given a booster in the autumn and they are going to use Pfizer because of its high efficacy against variants.
I don't think the UK has announced which vaccine will be used for boosters, unless you know differently ?

I suspect those who got Astra Zeneca will get a Pfizer booster and vice versa, as there was a trial showing mixing vaccines is effective.

Meanwhile, Israel is already offering booster jabs to over 60s who had the Pfizer vaccine, due to allegedly fading immunity. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/7/2 ... o-the-over

Also, the Reuters article is, I believe quoting efficacy against catching covid. The efficacy against hospitalization or catching severe covid is reported as over 90% by various sources. e.g. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vacc ... ta-variant
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

Over 50s and clinically vulnerable will be offered Pfizer booster shot https://mol.im/a/9849067 via http://dailym.ai/android
Jun

Post by Jun »

whitedesire wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:21 am Over 50s and clinically vulnerable will be offered Pfizer booster shot https://mol.im/a/9849067 via http://dailym.ai/android
OK, so the article says the "source" says that those who had Astra Zeneca will get a Pfizer booster. Which makes sense.
They didn't mention if those who got Pfizer will get an Astra Zeneca booster.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

From that DM report: "The early results from the Com-Cov trial, published today in the Lancet, looked at the efficacy of either two doses of Pfizer, two of AstraZeneca, or one of them followed by the other.

All second doses were given four weeks apart and the trial recruited 830 volunteers who were aged 50 and above. All combinations worked well, priming the immune system...."

So I suspect Jun they did carry out that trial of 2 Pfizer jabs etc and worked out the AZ with Pfizer was the best option. Might be wrong but ... Pfizer I think.
Jun

Post by Jun »

whitedesire wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:26 am So I suspect Jun they did carry out that trial of 2 Pfizer jabs etc and worked out the AZ with Pfizer was the best option. Might be wrong but ... Pfizer I think.
Whitedesire. I'm also aware of that vaccine mixing trial which showed benefits from vaccine mixing. So I hope that's what they do.

However, I'm not aware of any firm announcements regarding what we will get for boosters.

I guess one aspect is keeping some Pfizer supply for under 18s. The UK Pfizer order was increased to 100 million earlier this year, but I don't know the delivery schedule. When we get the remainder of the 100 million, obviously it ought to be enough for any third dose regime for over 50s.

Some people also suggest Astra Zeneca protection might last longer, but for obvious reasons this is not yet proven, as far as I know.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

Another thing about this subject, no matter what vaccine you have, and being double jabbed, I'm hearing of quite a few cases that people are still getting COVID, and even dying of it, even though been jabbed months ago, so this efficacy rate is quite disturbing.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whitedesire wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:32 pm I'm hearing of quite a few cases that people are still getting COVID, and even dying of it, even though been jabbed months ago
That is among the reasons I don't trust a damned thing the powers-that-be want us to believe. Even if they remove all the restrictions, I'll still be wearing my mask and taking all the usual precautions - and I'll be doing that until Covid appears to be a thing of the past. Whatever I die from, I'll be doing what I can to make sure it won't be from Covid.
Jun

Post by Jun »

No one is claiming the vaccines are 100% effective, so a few deaths are not a reason to distrust the data.

Less than 100% effective means you will hear of cases and deaths. What's the surprise there ?

People still get covid after vaccination, but it's usually mild.
According to the UK published data, the vaccines give a better than 90% reduction in death rates from covid. Now that's well worth having. The Pfizer vaccines are better at first, but seem to deteriorate faster (graph below). Note this is for symptomatic covid. The performance for preventing severe covid is better.

Even with covid, the age adjusted mortality rate in the UK is now below the figures of 10 years ago. Ten years ago we'd have been delighted with the results of 2021. Our life expectancy is still better than it has been at almost any time ever. Just because there's a new way of dying, it's no reason to disregard that.

Finally, for those who like a conspiracy, there is very limited scope for western governments to lie about the data. For a start, there are other governments publishing data, so any fraud will eventually be exposed by comparison.
Then in the UK, we have the ONS who collect & publish mortality data independently of the government.