More bad news for Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: More bad news for Pattaya

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:06 pm how will you know "hardly anybody is getting Covid" if you don't have any data?
That's very simple. And if you really don't understand what I mean by 'data', then I'm the one to find something truly worrying.
I don't need statistics and research projects to tell me when hardly anybody is getting Covid. Do you?

And what makes you think I don't understand the objectives of vaccine programs? Maybe I don't. Since apparently you do understand them, I'd love for you to explain them to me.

bkkguy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:06 pm I will just bow out of this discussion!
Best idea I've heard all day (well, read, not heard . .)
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:15 pmAnd if you really don't understand what I mean by 'data', then I'm the one to find something truly worrying.
I was going to collect and post definitions of data from reputable dictionaries for you to clarify how this compares with what you mean by data, but as I suspected in the last line of my post, and you confirmed in the last line of your post, there is really nothing to be gained from continuing this discussion
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:08 pm there is really nothing to be gained from continuing this discussion
And yet here you are - continuing it.

While you are collecting definitions of "data", you might also collect definitions of "anal-retentive" . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

As far as I can remember, everyone on this board who has commented has trusted the vaccines sufficiently to get one at the earliest reasonable opportunity.

Now steering this gently back to the topic & taking into account the board owner's rather demanding expectations of the vaccines.......

We will have (almost) no one getting covid if/when we get herd immunity. The 70% vaccination target set by Thailand for the sandbox schemes almost certainly will not do that. Something like 80~90% with a GOOD* vaccine might do the job.
Even then I can't be confident, since the vaccines seem very good at stopping people dying, with better than a 10x improvement in death rate, but data showing how they prevent transmission is, for obvious reasons, more difficult to collect.

But we were all happy to take the jab and get the >10x reduction in death rate. So we trust that is in the right ballpark.

*Not all vaccines used in Thailand are good.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ry-40-days

[As always I do not claim any medical/immunology expertise. However, we can all can read and do some maths.]
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:51 am
Jun wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:08 am Regarding efficacy, for western vaccines, there is enough independent data to show the vaccines are effective at reducing infections, severe illness and death.
If you want to trust data, go ahead. As for me, regarding Covid I trust nothing. I don't trust data. I don't trust published data information. I don't trust anything we're being told. I don't trust the vaccines. Zero. Nothing.
Donald Trump, Tucker Carlson, Foxnews, Newsmax etc. couldn't say it any better.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:09 pm Donald Trump, Tucker Carlson, Foxnews, Newsmax etc. couldn't say it any better.
Well, maybe they could say it a little better . . .

I might not trust anything, but I still am very much in favor of wearing the face masks, taking all the precautions, and getting vaccinated.

"My hypocrisy goes only so far. "
- Val Kilmer (Doc Holliday), 'Tombstone'
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:51 amI don't trust the vaccines.
Gaybutton wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:34 pmI still am very much in favor of getting vaccinated.
Rudy Giuliani would definitely do this better - he would do it the same day in the same speech!
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

What happened to:
bkkguy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:06 pm I will just bow out of this discussion!
Just couldn't resist, eh?

bkkguy wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:25 pm Rudy Giuliani would definitely do this better - he would do it the same day in the same speech!
The fact that I don't trust the vaccines - and I don't - that doesn't mean I would be opposed to getting vaccinated anyway. After all, there is always the extremely remote possibility that I might be wrong.

I recently got my first dose of AstraZeneca. Do I trust that I am now protected from Covid? NO. When I get my second dose will I then trust that I am protected from Covid? NO.

Now, if you gents are through trying to play "Gotcha" and comparing me to villains, let's get back to the topic.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:52 pm I recently got my first dose of AstraZeneca. Do I trust that I am now protected from Covid? NO. When I get my second dose will I then trust that I am protected from Covid? NO.
I'm one of the few members daft enough to wade in here.

Surely the only difference of opinion is the interpretation of the word trust ?

I take "trusting the vaccine" as meaning I believe it does what it's claimed to do.

I trust that it (Astra Zeneca) reduces my chances of getting covid by XX%. It reduces my chances of getting severe covid by over 90%. There is a minute risk of some side effects, far below my risks from covid.
There's no reason why I should expect it to do anything more than the claims. Like most vaccines it's not 100% effective. I don't expect it to be.

Now what was the topic ? Bad news for Pattaya ?
Roughly speaking, they intend to reopen for tourism after vaccinating an inadequate 70% of the population, some of whom will get an inferior Chinese vaccine that many of us would not trust.
The only reason that allowing tourists in will not be a covid risk is the testing on tourists means the incoming people might well have a lower covid incidence rate than the locals. As we see in Phuket.
However, 70% vaccination will not stop local outbreaks & if they lockdown in response to that, it will keep the tourists away. The plan needs improving.

Note: Anyone wanting to get the thread back on topic might want to respond to my last paragraph and not the earlier part......
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Not very good news for Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand. Of course, to me such a warning is a minor point at the moment considering for most traveling to Thailand for the foreseeable future is extremely difficult, perhaps impossible. And that moron who murdered that woman in Phuket for 300 baht didn't exactly help matters either.

Unfortunately, not much has improved. In Pattaya virtually everything is still closed, although I have information that some larger businesses are going to reopen Monday, August 16. We'll see. But the restaurants are still take-away only or ordering via delivery services. The pushcart food vendors seem to be in full operation, though. All entertainment venues are still closed. The beaches are still closed, but you can go along the walkways. People are encouraged, but not ordered, to remain home as much as possible. The 9:00pm-4:00am curfew is still in effect. Social gatherings of more than 5 people is still prohibited. You are allowed to buy liquor, but you have to drink at your residence - and not with anyone else, just by yourself. I have no idea how that is supposed to be enforced.

People seem to be ignoring several of the more absurd regulations and, as far as I know, few if any people are being arrested and prosecuted for such violations. However, the police are strictly enforcing the curfew.

Still, as far as the reasons I am guessing most people reading this would have for traveling to Thailand, not much to go to Thailand for in the first place these days. Not much fun - mostly people just trying to survive.

We're all hoping for everything to reopen, but I just don't see it happening any time soon. I can't even begin to guess what the gay scene will be like once everything finally does reopen. Your guess is as good as mine. I only hope all of us live long enough to find out . . .

US warns against travel to Thailand, other countries over Covid-19

10 Aug 2021

WASHINGTON/BANGKOK: The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) warned on Monday against travel to Israel, France, Thailand, Iceland and several other countries because of a rising number of Covid-19 cases in those nations.

The CDC has been adding to its highest "Level 4: Very High" Covid-19 level as cases spread around the globe. The United States added Thailand, Israel, the West Bank and Gaza, along with other places, including Aruba and French Polynesia.

"Because of the current situation in Thailand, even fully vaccinated travellers may be at risk for getting and spreading Covid-19 variants," the CDC said on its website.

The list comprises more than 70 countries, including three other Southeast Asian countries -- Indonesia, Malaysia and Myanmar.

Thailand had a record high of 235 new Covid-19 fatalities and registered 19,843 new cases over the past 24 hours, the Public Health Ministry reported on Tuesday.

The US State Department also issued its parallel Level 4: Do Not Travel" advisories for Iceland and France on Monday.

In July, the CDC had raised concerns about Israel, the West Bank and Gaza, lifting its travel health notice by two levels to "Level 3: High."

The CDC also hiked alert levels to "Level 3: High" for Austria, Croatia, El Salvador, Azerbaijan, Guam, Kenya and Jamaica. The CDC says unvaccinated travellers should avoid nonessential travel to those countries.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... r-covid-19