My experience getting vaccinated in Bangkok today

Anything and everything about Thailand
Trongpai

My experience getting vaccinated in Bangkok today

Post by Trongpai »

10 June I made an appointment via the government web site and was given an appointment for 28 June at 1500 for the Astra Zeneca vaccine. There were three vaccination center choices, I picked Phyathai 2 hospital.

A few days before the appointment they sent me a text message reminder and confirmation.

I self-drove to Phyathai 2 located near the Victory Monument and normally at this time it's a traffic clogged location but with the Bangkok lock-down it was a breeze. I noticed construction sites closed with the Army conspicuously standing guard. I arrived at 1430hrs. There were around 100 or so people getting the vaccine, mostly white guys but also Indians and Asians.

The vaccination center was on the 7th floor and was well signed. There were 5 stations you quickly rotated through, separate spaced waiting areas with chairs. They took your blood pressure, temp, pulse, weight and height.

This round of vaccinations was for those over 60 years of age and/or with certain medical conditions such as diabetes. The web page said something about having proof and having medical records. I was well prepared with 6 months of medical records from Bumrungrad on a PDF file on my phone. Others I noticed had printed medical papers and folders. None of that was needed. You just signed a pre-printed one page form and check a few simple blocks. All I really needed was my passport. There was no address check other than asking me if I lived in Bangkok.

After getting the vaccine the last station is a 30 min observation section. Then you're given an appointment in two weeks for the second shot.

Total time from the parking lot to out the door 1 hour and 1/2. Overall a very pleasant experience and not what I expected. There were no charges, it was all FREE even parking was FREE.

Jun

Re: My experience getting vaccinated in Bangkok today

Post by Jun »

Farang are well represented there relative to the proportion of the population ?

Don't be surprised if you are very tired tomorrow, just for half to one day.

Two weeks is a very short interval between doses. Elsewhere in the world, I think it's between 4 and 12 weeks.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

If the queue numbers are an indication they are doing around 1000 vaccines per day at this center. Add the other two locations and it's 3000 per day. Assumption and speculation only.

Yes, you're correct my second dose is set for July 26, 4 weeks to the day.
Ruthrieston

Post by Ruthrieston »

Maybe at some point in the future Pattaya will actually be able to supply the vaccine to expats, but goodness only knows when that will be.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you Trongpai for the detailed report and photos. I know many really appreciate getting a good idea of what to expect when getting their injection.

Did you experience any side effects?
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:04 am Did you experience any side effects?
No side effects at all. I feel fine.

It makes sense that they start with Bangkok as it's been the epicenter of COVID. It will extend to Pattaya eventually.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:43 am It will extend to Pattaya eventually.
"Trouble is - we'll all be dead."
- Ronald Fraser (Sgt. Watson), 'The Flight of the Phoenix'