This just from USA embassy

Anything and everything about Thailand
Daleinpattaya

This just from USA embassy

Post by Daleinpattaya »

On the heels of France and China announcing that they will vaccinate their citizens in Thailand, the USA Embassy sends out this letter to its citizens. Do you think he has received his jab?!?!

++++++

To My Fellow Americans in Thailand,

In the past few weeks, many of you have asked about the availability of vaccines in Thailand. I want you to know that I hear you and understand your concerns. I am providing you with an update on the actions our government is taking to ensure you have access to vaccines.

The Biden-Harris Administration has embarked on a global effort to address this pandemic by sharing 80 million vaccine doses worldwide by the end of June and 500 million more in the coming year. The first 25 million of these doses will soon be released, with seven million going to countries in Asia, including Thailand. We continue to advocate with the Royal Thai Government for fair access to vaccines by our citizens. We are heartened by Thai government commitments to vaccinate Americans and other foreign nationals who reside here, just as Thai and other nationals are receiving vaccinations with ease in the United States.

The U.S. diplomatic mission has not been spared by COVID-19, as several families in our community have endured tragedies from this terrible pandemic. Across the world, many countries are grappling with surges in COVID-19 cases and emerging variants among largely unvaccinated populations, requiring this crisis to be resolved on a global basis. Our government is therefore taking a methodical, equitable, and science-based approach to direct vaccine doses to the most seriously afflicted countries.

The U.S. Department of State is unable to provide vaccines to the millions of Americans who reside outside of the United States. For those who wish to return to the United States to be vaccinated, information on vaccine availability at the state level is available at www.vaccines.gov. Meanwhile, as Thailand pursues its vaccination program, I will continue to advocate for your equitable access, keeping in mind that many Thai citizens are also waiting for their own vaccines. I welcome your personal experiences with vaccination conditions in your area, and have set up a new email account ([email protected]) to receive your submissions. We continue to provide updated information on COVID-19 on our Embassy webpage at https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... formation/. We will work with the Thai government to ensure you are served in line with their goal to vaccinate all residents without regard to nationality.

The United States has made significant progress in fighting this pandemic, but I agree with you that the work is far from done. I am optimistic that vaccine availability in Thailand will increase as the fruits of American technology are made available to the world. Our own health agencies here in Thailand continue to work side-by-side with Thai colleagues to develop vaccines and therapeutics to defeat this pandemic over the long term.

I will remain in touch with you in the days and weeks ahead as the situation develops.

With best regards,

Michael Heath
Charge d’Affaires
Embassy of the United States of America
Bangkokian

Re: This just from USA embassy

Post by Bangkokian »

In other words NO!
Shame on them and other embassies (except France) for the same reaction.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Why am I not surprised?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I notice the embassy letter is not even signed by the ambassador, but by the Charge d’Affaires. What it amounts to is we expats are being told despite our appeals and requests, the embassy won't lift a finger for us. After all, we're not important. We're merely tax paying citizens, but we're not worth the effort or expense.

What have we got? An American Citizens Services that hardly provides any service or assistance at all. An unapproachable ambassador. The only way you would ever get to meet with the ambassador would be if you are a celebrity or political VIP. Other than that, the rest of us can just FO.

What does the ambassador actually do? What is his job? Other than sit on his high salaried ass, just what is he paid to do? Apparently being of any help to expat US citizens is not included in the job description.

I am disappointed by the embassy and quite frankly embarrassed by it. We can't get the proof-of-income letter anymore even when we can truly prove our income. Now we are told we're on our own about getting vaccinated. China and France can get their expat citizens vaccinated, but too much trouble for the USA.

We can get a new passport via the embassy. Other than that, what does the embassy do for us American citizens? I can't thing of anything.

Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

Just an FYI … Gaybutton, I don’t disagree at all with your sentiments. Well said.
According to Wikipedia, there is currently no USA ambassador to Thailand ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... o_Thailand … the last dude ended his tour of duty on 20 January 2021. Therefore, the #2 guy Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM) is Acting Ambassador … referred to as Chargé d'Affaires. Before the most recent ambassador, the last 13 had been career foreign service officers … the last one was a Trump appointee … speaks volumes.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Daleinpattaya wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:56 am Deputy Chief of Mission (DCM) is Acting Ambassador … referred to as Chargé d'Affaires.
He's not exactly any great shakes either. The same questions apply to him. Other than essentially telling us expats to go to hell, what is his job? What does he do?

If and when a new ambassador is appointed, I hope it will be someone who actually gives a damn about us rather than continually coming up with excuses why they won't do anything for us at all.
pong

Post by pong »

For those of you that may be interested: an ambassador is only an amb. when he/she is ´acquainted/accepted´ by the country s/he is sent to. There is a serious backlog in these procedures in TH as they have to be done by the person who´ s name cannot be mentioned here. There is a specific term for that, but I dk that in /en/
BTW: besides FRance no other of the EU 27 other countries has sent any vaccine or help in this matter whatsoever-to any other country. There is now an EU-wide app for those who got the vaccine or covid+ injection, but there are hence serious problems to register anyone who got her/his vaccine on other ways as the local country provides. That sinovac is not (yet?) accepted for this in the EU