Thai driving license - the latest - good news and nightmare news

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Thai driving license - the latest - good news and nightmare news

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:31 am the difficulty I now have in standing for any lengthy period and having to climb up stairs.
Unfortunately you're still going to have to climb up those stairs at the Land Transport Office whether you use an agent of not. That's where you have to go to pay the fee, have your photo taken, and the license issued. They have never done anything to provide for people who are handicapped. They don't even have any designated handicapped parking spaces - at least none that I noticed.

It would be nice if a new office opens up - one much closer to the city (this one is 11km - 7 miles out of town) and much larger to handle the large numbers of applicants who show up every day, much more modern - and with a lift if there is more than one floor. Of course, no such building is in the works, but maybe one of these days.

In any case, if you are going to use an agent I think many of us are looking forward to your report and, of course, which agent you used and their fee.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Yes, I am aware that using the agent, I would still have one instance of having to wait in line and then climb the stairs. However, as you noted in your recent experience it was at least 3 times for you - 2 if you had known in advance you could have gone home to view the video.

Once done this time, I don't have to face that trip for another 5 years provided I am still alive and kicking (somewhat) :) .

As to the agent, I will most likely contact the one you mentioned as it appears she even comes to your house rather than you having to visit her and may take care of the residence & medical certificate without the necessity of having to do it in person.

I will pass on my experience, but since that will be in August, perhaps someone else will make a report on their experience before then.

For those that don't want to use an agent, I am glad to hear they have an App for for the video - the previous report I had was Thais could do it online, but foreigners had to obtain a certificate of attendance from a driving school. If someone doesn't have a smart phone ( :o ), the agent's cost probably equates to what a phone would cost - so about 50-50 as to expense.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Here is a link to DLT's eLearning to view the required video: https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home An announcement in Thai may pop up, just click the "X" to close it.

I registered and went through the steps up to where you get the page to do the pretest, video, post test & training results. Select foreigner, and then passport - select country and complete the information requested. You enter your passport number twice. The system automatically generates a username consisting in my case of "P"+"USA"+"my passport number".

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:30 am Here is a link to DLT's eLearning to view the required video
Thank you very much. I wish I had known this before. It would have saved me a lot of hassle.

Don't forget that once you reach the page that shows you passed, that page needs to be printed out and taken with you when applying for the license.

If anyone tries watching the video, let me know how far you get before you just put down the phone and let the video play through while you're away doing something else . . .
puan

Post by puan »

Just used the DLT eLearning. Very easy. Thanks so much for sharing.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

For those that want to scan the QR code to open on their smart phone:

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:32 am For those that want to scan the QR code to open on their smart phone
Just out of curiosity, I went to the web site using my computer instead of the smart phone ( https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home ). It looks like it can be done using the computer rather than the smart phone if you wish. I did not pursue it since I have already renewed my license.

If anyone does try to go through the process using a computer, please let us know if it works.
puan

Post by puan »

GB....yes, I used the web site using my computer.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

puan wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:07 am GB....yes, I used the web site using my computer.
Were you able to view the movie on the computer and print out the "passed" page?
puan

Post by puan »

Yes.....was able to watch movie on my computer (although sound was not the greatest...but that ok...was in Thai with English caption) and Yes, I was able to print out the passed page for DLT.