New Covid insurance rules for O-A visa

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

New Covid insurance rules for O-A visa

Post by Gaybutton »

New rules to support Covid health insurance for long-stay expats

June 16, 2021

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved in principle new rules to support health insurance for long-stay foreigners under the Non-Immigrant “O-A” visa.

The old rules required purchasing Thai health insurance through the website Longstay.tgia.org, which has suffered operating problems. The new rules offer a lifeline for expats over the age of 70 who cannot purchase insurance in Thailand and thus face having their applications for extension of stay rejected.

The new rules were set out as follows:

1. The first visa application must include health insurance or government welfare with minimum coverage of $100,000 or 3 million baht for medical expenses and treatment of Covid-19.

2. Applications for extension of stay can use health insurance from abroad or government welfare from abroad. This must be certified by a relevant government agency, such as a foreign embassy in Thailand or the country’s Foreign Ministry.

3. If an insurer refuses coverage due to health risks, visa applicants must submit additional documents including the letter of refusal, plus securities, deposits and other health insurance accounting for at least 3 million baht.

The Cabinet assigned the Immigration Bureau to improve rules and conditions governing applications for short-term visas, while the Foreign Ministry has been tasked with upgrading guidelines for O-A visa applications.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002065
Gaybutton

Re: New Covid insurance rules for O-A visa

Post by Gaybutton »

Obviously, at least for now, if you intend to retire in Thailand, unless you want to comply with this requirement, then don't get the retirement visa in your home country. If you do, you will have the O-A visa. If you get the retirement visa once you are in Thailand, you will have the O visa, which so far is not subject to this requirement. Whether it will eventually become a requirement for the O visa in the future remains to be seen.

I don't know why the rules are different for the two types of retirement visas, but that's the way it is.

Covid cover needed for long-stay O-A visas

New rule requires B3m insurance

by Mongkol Bangprapa

June 16, 2021

Foreign nationals with the non-immigrant O-A visa, sometimes known as a retirement visa, will in the future have to prove they have insurance coverage of at least US$100,000 (three million baht) against Covid-19.

The proposal was approved in principle by the cabinet on Tuesday and Traisuree Taisaranakul, deputy spokeswoman for the government, said it would apply to all holders of the one-year visa.

The new rule follows an amendment to the regulations approved by the cabinet in April last year.

The extra Covid-19 insurance coverage regulation does not apply to other non-immigrant visa categories: marriage, business, educational and media, among others.

At present, holders of the non-immigrant O-A visa must be insured to the tune of just 40,000 baht for out-patient treatment and 400,000 baht for in-patient treatment at a hospital. They are required to purchase Thai health insurance via a dedicated website which is problematic.

Future non-immigrant O-A visa applicants must produce proof they have taken out the far higher insurance against Covid-19 and if they are eligible for state-sponsored welfare or insurance, the same minimum coverage applies.

Those seeking to renew their non-immigrant O-A visas are free to buy the insurance from abroad.

If they have access to state-sponsored insurance, they must submit documentary proof certified by the Bangkok-based embassies of their respective nations or by authorised official of the Foreign Ministry of their native countries.

If someone is denied the requisite Covid-19 insurance because they are deemed to be in an at-risk group, they must present the rejection document as well as proof of financial security, bank account or other health insurance valued at a minimum of US$100,000.

Ms Traisuree said that since the cabinet had approved the new rule in principle the next step would be for the Immigration Bureau to publish full details and make it official.

The Foreign Affairs Ministry will also work to improve the non-immigrant O-A visa application procedure while the Public Health Ministry and the Interior Ministry will be in charge of modifying related regulations and telling the public about them.

Ms Traisuree said the current non-immigrant O-A visa regulations were flawed as expats aged over 70 could not buy insurance in Thailand, causing them to be disqualified from extending their stay in the kingdom.om remaining long-term in the kingdom.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -o-a-visas
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

It turns out that some aspects of this is "fake news". The details are on the Friday, June 18 "Headline News"

See: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... 99#p104399
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:54 pmI don't know why the rules are different for the two types of retirement visas, but that's the way it is.
the Non-OA visa as issued by the Foreign Ministry through embassies and consulates overseas is a "long stay visa" - when you enter the country on this visa you initially get a 12 month permission to stay

the Non-O visa as issued by the Foreign Ministry through embassies and consulates overseas or by the Interior Ministry through Immigration Police offices in Thailand is a "short stay visa" - your initial permission to stay is only 3 months

"long stay visas" have different conditions and requirements - eg insurance, etc - justified by this difference in initial permission to stay, though you may or may not agree with this distinction

a 12 month extension of permission to stay for reasons of retirement is available for the initial permission to stay for both visa types but the extension conditions and requirements - eg insurance, etc - are different depending on the initial visa type, and selfishly as the holder of an initial non-O visa I am happy to see this distinction continue, though I can see why this could be on a "do not understand" list - but please don't get the Immigration Police thinking about this!
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:52 pm I can see why this could be on a "do not understand" list
It is on mine . . .

Are you saying people who want the O visa instead of the OA visa can get it in their home countries at Thai embassies and consulates simply by asking for it - and could have been getting the O visa that way all along?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:48 am
bkkguy wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:52 pm I can see why this could be on a "do not understand" list
It is on mine . . .

Are you saying people who want the O visa instead of the OA visa can get it in their home countries at Thai embassies and consulates simply by asking for it - and could have been getting the O visa that way all along?
In some countries, the Thai Embassy/Consulate will issue the "O" Visa on the basis you plan to retire in Thailand. Prior to the COVID restrictions, you could get the "O" Visa in Laos and Cambodia. You did have to show evidence of having the financial resources and meeting the age requirement. Upon entry into Thailand, as with all "O" category Visas, you received a 90 day permission to stay. During this period, usually 30 days prior to the expiration of the permission to stay, you could apply at Thai Immigration for a one year extension based on retirement. [Note: The "O" category is also issued for other purposes, e.g. married to or related to a Thai.]

However, in the USA and some other Western countries, the Embassies/Consulates will not issue an "O" category visa if you say you want it for retirement. Instead, they will insist you apply for the "O-A" category visa, which officially is referred to as a "Long Stay" Visa, but often stated as a "retirement" Visa. Those residents of countries where the Thai Embassy/Consulate will not issue a Category O Visa for purpose of retirement, could either go to a neighboring country and receive the "O" Visa OR they could enter Thailand Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa and then apply for the Non-Immigrant O Visa at Thai Immigration as part of a 2 step process -- (1) apply for and receive the "O" Visa which also included a 90 day permission to stay at the time of issuance and (2) apply for the one year extension after 60 of the 90 days had elapsed.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:21 am In some countries, the Thai Embassy/Consulate will issue the "O" Visa on the basis you plan to retire in Thailand.
Thank you very much. I never knew this. It still seems to me the best and easiest way to get the O visa is to apply for it within Thailand. It has been a very long time, so I may be remembering this incorrectly, but long ago I first opened a Thai bank account, before ever applying for the retirement visa. In those days opening a Thai bank account was easy. The way I remember it, all I had to do then was show my passport and it didn't matter what kind of visa I had. Later, when I came to Thailand to retire here permanently, I think I arrived on a 60-day visa and had no problem using that to get the O retirement visa.

Apparently if someone wants to open a Thai bank account today, which is far more difficult to do, a service such as Mot can get a bank account for farang. Don't forget, at least within Thailand, having a Thai bank account first is imperative for getting the O retirement visa.

But now, after reading your post, there is a new item for my "I Don't Get It" list. Different embassies and consulates in various countries have different rules for applying for the same visa. You can get the O visa in some countries, yet in others you cannot. I'm almost afraid to ask the next question: WHY? What is the logic, if any, behind that?
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:05 amBut now, after reading your post, there is a new item for my "I Don't Get It" list. Different embassies and consulates in various countries have different rules for applying for the same visa. You can get the O visa in some countries, yet in others you cannot. I'm almost afraid to ask the next question: WHY? What is the logic, if any, behind that?
The law and rules for obtaining Visas provides "retirement" as one of the permitted purposes to obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa. The Thai Embassies/Consulates in US and other countries that allow issuance of the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa have the authority under Immigration rules to issue the "O" Visa for purpose of retirement. But, as mentioned they will not do so. I can't answer as to whether this is a local decision or it is imposed on them by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; my guess is that it is because the O-A became available for residents of certain countries such as USA and they wanted to push the issuance of that category for retirees in lieu of the "O" category.

But, it has been in effect for a long time. I retired at the end of September 2002 and contacted the Thai Embassy in Washington, DC, about obtaining a Non-Immigrant O Visa. I was told to apply for the O-A Visa. However, back then, Honorary Consuls could issue Non-Immigrant Visas, both single and multiple entry. I obtained a Non-Immigrant O multiple entry Visa from the Honorary Consul in Dallas, Texas. After getting the DC Embassy comments, I contacted the Honorary Consul about getting the Non O multiple entry Visa as I wanted to "try out" living in Thailand before making a final decision and also needed to return to US during the period for scheduled medical care. The Honorary Consul, an American in a Dallas Law Firm, not only provided the Visa, but didn't require any supporting documentation. Ah, the good ol' days. Of course it was probably such liberal issuing of Non-Immigrant Visas that caused the Thai Embassy to revoke their authority to issue them.

As far as applying within Thailand after entry as Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, this was my recommendation to any that inquired especially when the Thai government added the requirement to have health insurance to qualify for the O-A Visa.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Seems to me, if planning to retire in Thailand, if you can get the O in your home country, fine. If you can't, then get it once you are in Thailand.

But I would make sure to avoid the O-A visa.

While I certainly understand that a person would have to be a fool not to have medical insurance in Thailand, I am much happier making my own choices rather than Thai government imposed insurance requirements.

Next question - if someone has the O-A visa, is there any way to change it over to an O visa? Maybe one of those visa services can do it if you can't do it on your own. I used to think the visa services were nothing but rip-offs, but now I'm not so sure anymore. If I were living in Thailand on an O-A visa, it seems to me going to one of the visa services is worth a try.

And shop around. On my topic about driving licenses the service I mentioned, Mots, charges 3000 baht to get you a Thai driving license. I have heard about another service that charges 10,000 baht for the same thing.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

2lz2p wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:03 amThe Thai Embassies/Consulates in US and other countries that allow issuance of the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa have the authority under Immigration rules to issue the "O" Visa for purpose of retirement. But, as mentioned they will not do so. I can't answer as to whether this is a local decision or it is imposed on them by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs...
the last time I was trying to do this years ago the consulate in Sydney pointed out very strongly that Non-O for retirement was strictly an Interior Ministry/Immigration Police concept and nothing to do with the Foreign Ministry visa rules for them and sold me a tourist visa instead. The Perth honorary consul was rumored to be much more flexible at that time, not sure about the embassy in Canberra.
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!