Covid vaccine

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Registering for Covid vaccine at hospitals

Post by Jun »

I understand that HIV is much more difficult than some of the diseases with existing vaccines, due to the way that virus evolves.
Also, the technical capability has not always been at current levels. Do bear in mind it took several years to find out what causes AIDS, yet with Coronavirus, the genetic sequence was posted on Twitter and the first vaccines were designed in hours after that. All we have been waiting for since is trials, manufacturing etc.

Moving back to Covid:
The US publishes non covid mortality data. If you go and estimate the probability of death within the next year from non-covid factors, then look at the number of covid deaths in Thailand and estimate your odds of dying from that in the next year, covid barely changes your probability of death.

Then sometime during the remainder of the year, you might get the option of, maybe an Astra Zeneca vaccine (for example) that will reduce your chances of dying from covid by another 95%. I would take the vaccine. (I have taken it in the UK)

Then if something better shows up in 2022, I'll read up on it and consider taking that as well.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:40 pm
Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:03 pm I think sooner or later there will be a vaccine that will virtually guarantee immunity from any strains of Covid.
and this is what you will keep waiting for?
I didn't say that and I didn't mean that. If such a vaccine is ever developed I am saying I will want to get it. I would think nearly everybody on the planet would want to get it. What I am willing to wait for is Moderna, although that is not engraved in stone. If I think circumstances make it necessary, such as an influx of tourists to Pattaya - before Moderna becomes available - then I would take what I can get.

Meanwhile no vaccine at all is available in Pattaya yet - unless of course you are French. They have been able to get their vaccine at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital.

I am due for a checkup at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital on Monday, July 5. I'll try to get whatever information they can give and post what I can find out.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Apparently, if like me, you are waiting to get Moderna vaccine from BHP in last quarter of this year you can FORGET IT! BHP posted a notice that you could register for the Moderna and pay to confirm it as of midnight last night. I clicked on "buy it" at 6am this morning and it showed the following:

So, if Chonburi/Pattaya ever get their sh*t together and set up a method for expats to register for the government provided vaccine, I may have to consider it. Although BHP will no doubt get another allocation of Moderna in first quarter of 2022, it may sell out just as fast before most can even be aware of its availability.
BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand said on Wednesday it would import nearly four million doses of Moderna's mRNA coronavirus vaccine towards the end of this year and a further one million in early 2022, for use by private hospitals.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:56 am if Chonburi/Pattaya ever get their sh*t together
Don't hold your breath . . .

Meanwhile I am reading that most Thais in Pattaya are getting Sinopharm. From what I am reading, from among all the available vaccines, that one is the least effective.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

The Sinopharm was based on 100,000 doses Pattaya purchased through Chulabhorn Royal Academy and is being provided only to Pattaya's Thai residents. The Central government has previously and is currently providing Sinovac (imported from China) or AstraZenica (made in Thailand under license) with the AZ expected to make up most of the doses being provided. News reports also indicate that Pfizer vaccine and others may also be obtained, but not for a while.

Even so, they are currently not obtaining sufficient doses as evidenced by numerous news articles of Thais with appointments (even those with priority because of their high risk) being told across the country that their scheduled appointments have to be postponed as they do not have enough doses.

I would prefer the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine, but for me in making my decision it will depend on what is available at the time Expats in Pattaya have a means to register and when the doses will most likely be available to them. And I am not holding my breath.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:21 am I would prefer the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine
Since now there is serious talk about mixing vaccines, maybe what we will end up doing is starting with whatever we can get, once we can get it, and then get Moderna or Pfizer later if and when it becomes available.

However, I will do that if, and only if, my doctor approves.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

UK citizens seeking COVID vaccine in Thailand

Over the past weeks the British Chamber of Commerce Thailand (BCCT) has been contacted by many British passport holders residing in Thailand for updates and advice on the current vaccination situation in Thailand. At the same time, we have become aware that some, particularly those at greatest risk from Covid-19, have not yet been vaccinated and have been unable to register to be vaccinated.

The BCCT - www.bccthai.com - is reaching out to this community because of the current uncertainty. Please contact us through our website if you are part of this community and would like the BCCT to try and help. Details below.

Our goal is to coordinate and work with the Department of Disease Control at the Thai Ministry of Public Health to identify a solution. We will also examine potential solutions with other bodies that support British passport holders in Thailand.

Persons aged over 60 years or those with chronic diseases are among target groups for vaccination. Chronic diseases are listed as:-

Severe Chronic Respiratory Diseases (CRDs)
Coronary artery disease (CAD)
Chronic kidney disease (CKD) (5th stage)
Stroke
Cancer patients receiving chemotherapy
Diabetes
Obesity (weight > 100 kg or BMI > 35 kg/m²)

BCCT uses a secure membership database in its day-to-day work supporting businesses in Thailand. We have created a new database group in order to capture basic data of at-risk (ie those over 60 years of age or with at least one of the chronic diseases listed above) unvaccinated British passport holders at the following secure link:-

https://members.bccthai.com/connect

BCCT would also like to invite those who join this database group to access our many virtual meetings and webinars on a wide range of topics. Alternatively, if you would simply like to talk about anything please email me at - [email protected] – to confirm a day and time.

Data will be kept securely and will not be used for any purpose external to BCCT. Entries may be deleted at any time (eg should you be vaccinated). If an opportunity arises to use the database in order to make appointments to receive vaccines, all those on the database will be able to opt-out should they wish to. Couples should enter data individually.

Current British government policy is that the National Health Service does not operate outside the UK. Therefore, vaccines for British passport holders in Thailand will not be supplied from the NHS unless there is a change in UK government policy.

If you are receiving this notice and are not at risk but you know someone who is, please pass on details.

Best regards
Greg Watkins
Executive Director

https://members.bccthai.com/BCCT/asp/ne ... ewsID=1052

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/122222 ... n-thailand
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Today, I received an email invitation to register and pay in advance for a pair of Moderna vaccinations. End of October - March 2022!

MedPark Hospital is accepting registration for alternative vaccine MODERNA (mRNA Technology) for 3,300 THB (2 doses), available for anyone aged 18 and above.

Details, registration, and payment available here: https://medpark.hospital/Moderna

The expected arrival date of the vaccine is approximately at end of October 2021 - 31 March 2022, as allocated by GPO.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:30 pm The expected arrival date of the vaccine is approximately at end of October 2021 - 31 March 2022
Hmmm, now I wonder which date it will be - if then . . .
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Bangkokian wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:30 pm Today, I received an email invitation to register and pay in advance for a pair of Moderna vaccinations. End of October - March 2022!
as allocated by GPO
Pay 3,300 baht by bank transfer to get on the list to be informed when they have the vaccine -- BUT note it says "No Refund"- so what happens if they take your money, but do not receive sufficient doses to have 2 shots available for everyone that registers and pays?