Covid vaccine

Anything and everything about Thailand
Daleinpattaya

Re: Registering for Covid vaccine at hospitals

Post by Daleinpattaya »

I got the same email … in addition to the money part discussed here … I was also quite hesitant in that they wanted a scan of the information page of my passport.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Daleinpattaya wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:04 am I got the same email
I did not get an email, but while I understand why some of the hospitals want the money in advance, they need to understand it needs to be a two-way street. I am perfectly willing to pay in advance, but only if the hospital can solidly commit to a date when I will be vaccinated. I am not going to advance pay while I have no clue when a vaccine, let alone a guarantee of which one, will be available to me.

Until they can make a real commitment, my money stays in my wallet . . .
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Meanwhile, for those of you holding your breath for confirmation of Moderna's arrival date, it appears that it is the GPO that has been tardy in getting the order underway rather than the OAG delaying approval - from the Bangkok Post:
The Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) abruptly submitted a draft purchase contract for the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine to the Office of Attorney General (OAG) on Friday after the latter publicly stated it never received the contract.

In a statement, the OAG dismissed media reports saying the draft procurement contract for the Moderna vaccine was still under review by the office.
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:56 am Apparently, if like me, you are waiting to get Moderna vaccine from BHP in last quarter of this year you can FORGET IT!
Not to add insult to injury but in fact BHP was not sold out as shown. Several friends went to BHP and registered at the Chivawattana desk in Bldg A throughout the day. Paid their 3400 and given proper receipt. By late Thursday afternoon they were actually "sold out".
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here's the latest:

Vaccine payments must come first, says GPO

High cost of Moderna one reason behind slow procurement process, says director

July 3, 2021

The Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) says it has to wait for payment to be submitted to it first before it can place a supply agreement for the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine on behalf of private hospitals

The high cost of the US-made vaccine was one of the reasons the purchase could not be made as quickly as anticipated, GPO director Withoon Danwiboon told reporters on Saturday.

“This vaccine is not one of the five bought by the government so the process is quite long,” he said.

Five vaccines are under the government’s free programme — Sinovac, AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Sputnik V. Others, classified as alternative vaccines, including Moderna, are provided by private hospitals which will charge for them plus insurance and service fees.

“We have to work with more than 300 hospitals nationwide to come up with a number they want to buy, which today stands at 9 million doses,” Dr Withoon said.

Once the order is placed, probably in early August, 4 million doses will be shipped this year and the rest will come next year, he said, insisting on the original schedule.

The GPO has been under fire for being slow to make the purchase after Dr Boon Vanasin of the SET-listed Thonburi Healthcare Group this week quoted a friend at Moderna as saying that the supply agreement for Thailand had not even been signed and the countdown could not begin until it was.

Dr Withoon explained the GPO had its own limitations.

“If we sign the agreement when there is no real demand, we can’t take the responsibility since the vaccine is expensive. Our plan is, therefore, to sign the contract in the first week of August,” he said.

He said the agreement had already been drafted and sent to the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) for review on Friday.

He warned the agreement might also require cabinet consideration as it involved issues beyond the authority of the GPO, signalling a further delay.

But if everything goes according to plan, he said, Thailand will get its first batch of Moderna vaccine in the last quarter of this year.

He added the GPO was also monitoring the development progress of other vaccines, including those under clinical trials in Thailand.

“The vaccine being developed by the GPO has already completed the first phase with promising results. The second phase will begin late this month or by Aug 10 at the latest,” he added.

Private hospitals started accepting payments from buyers for alternative vaccines this week. By Saturday, many had suspended the process, saying demand had already outstripped their reserved quotas.

The GPO has set the price of the vaccine it will sell to private hospitals at 1,100 baht a dose. Private hospitals are charging 1,650 baht per dose.

As for Pfizer, a vaccine under the free programme, the cabinet will consider approving the supply agreement on Tuesday after the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) approved its use in mid-April.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... t-says-gpo

COVID-19 vaccines effective against delta variant

By : The Japan News / ANN

July 4, 2021

Existing COVID-19 vaccines are effective against the highly contagious delta variant, according to several reports.

The findings confirm the importance of continuing the ongoing vaccination rollout in Japan, where infections with the delta variant first detected in India are also spreading.

Moderna Inc. on Tuesday released the results of a study involving eight people who had received two doses of the U.S. biotechnology firm’s vaccine. The amount of antibodies against the delta variant in the participants’ blood was about half that of antibodies for the other circulating variants. However, the vaccine was effective in suppressing infection and the onset of COVID-19.

According to a study by the University of Edinburgh and others, the efficacy of the vaccine manufactured by U.S. pharmaceutical giant Pfizer Inc. in preventing infections with the delta variant was about 79%, while that of British pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca PLC’s vaccine was about 60%. Public Health England has estimated that both vaccines were able to reduce hospitalizations by more than 90%.

On Thursday, U.S. firm Johnson & Johnson also announced that its single-shot vaccine can generate sufficient antibodies against the delta variant, and immunity lasts for at least eight months.

Initially, the delta variant was thought to be more resistant to existing vaccines compared to the other widely circulating variants.

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40002805
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Bangkokian wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:30 pm Today, I received an email invitation to register and pay in advance for a pair of Moderna vaccinations. End of October - March 2022!
No longer an issue -- I just checked their site which shows:

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:54 am No longer an issue
That doesn't upset me at all. Again, I understand why they're doing it, but I also bear in mind they are selling something they don't have, don't know when they'll get, don't know when the customers will get, and cannot guarantee which vaccine it will be.

Other than that, no problem . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:44 am I did not get an email, but while I understand why some of the hospitals want the money in advance, they need to understand it needs to be a two-way street. I am perfectly willing to pay in advance, but only if the hospital can solidly commit to a date when I will be vaccinated. I am not going to advance pay while I have no clue when a vaccine, let alone a guarantee of which one, will be available to me.

Until they can make a real commitment, my money stays in my wallet . . .
In principle, you are right.
In practice, when the alternatives are limited, some people choose to do things they don't like. For example, when I purchased $100,000 covid insurance last year.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:16 pm In practice, when the alternatives are limited, some people choose to do things they don't like.
I'm sure you are right. In this case, I do not intend to be among them.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

As I promised, today I was in Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital and tried to find out about getting vaccinated. I asked everyone I could - information counter, check-in desk, insurance department, nurses, doctors - and there were 2 standard answers. "Not Sure" and "Don't Know".

In other words I was able to find out what we already knew - nothing.

I can't blame any of the hospital staff. They really have no more idea than we do and they are not high enough on the totem pole to be privy to any further information.

Sorry folks, but that's the way it is.