The latest Covid restrictions

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: The latest Covid restrictions

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:53 pm As an example, people who work away from home need somewhere to eat. Not all dining is social.
Where do you suppose they've been eating while the restaurants were closed?

However, we're debating about it prematurely. We don't know yet what the rules for Pattaya will be. I don't know what the restaurants in Pattaya are doing. Today they were able to open, but I ate at home.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I was expecting this. I've been reading that some are criticizing and opposing this, but not me. I'm glad they are doing this and I hope they keep right on extending the emergency decree until the Covid problem is history. Most people are readily complying with the regulations, especially the face mask regulations. I almost never see any Thais who are not wearing the face mask.

Thai Cabinet officially extends Emergency Decree until the end of July

by Adam Judd

25 May 2021

The Thai Cabinet resolved today, May 25th, 2021, to accept a proposal from the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration, or CCSA, to officially extend the Emergency Decree to control the Covid-19 Coronavirus for two months, until July 31st.

The Emergency Decree has been in place for over a year now and gives the government much greater authority to implement rules and restrictions in what the Thai Government says is to protect public health. The Emergency Decree also allows for strict penalties and fines, far above the normal law, for those who violate rules in place, such as selling alcohol at restaurants or gathering for the purpose of socializing. Critics of the Emergency Decree have claimed that it was being used for punitive and political reasons, especially to target opposition protesters in the past.

The Thai Government denies all such accusations, stating that the Emergency Decree is only to help control the Covid-19 Coronavirus in which the country is currently battling a major round of infections, primarily centered in and around Bangkok.

Mr. Anucha Buraphachaisri, the spokesman for Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan O’Cha, confirmed the extension this afternoon to the associated Thai press.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/25/t ... d-of-july/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here's why I'm expecting the current restrictions to get more strict:

Dozens arrested, dispersed on Bangsaen beach early this morning for allegedly breaking Covid-19 rules, drinking alcohol, and mingling

That's the headline. If you want to read the full story see: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/30/d ... -mingling/

I didn't bother. These stories about people caught violating and ignoring the restrictions are becoming as common as stories about mass shootings in the USA. Virtually every day there are reports about people getting arrested for violating the rules. Imagine how many more are probably not getting caught.

I have absolutely no sympathy for these people, especially farang. I'm sorry if you're bored and have nothing to do, but when you do these things you not only make it tougher on everybody else who does obey the rules, and apparently you don't give a damn, but you also increase the likelihood of spreading the disease. Apparently you don't give a damn about that either.

When they do get caught, but get off leniently, I believe that only encourages these rule violations. What good does it do to threaten a 20,000 baht fine but really fine only 1000 or 2000 baht - or no fine at all? No jail time and no heavy fines - at least none I've read about. A lecture, a paltry fine, maybe a couple of Hail Mary's along with it and you're right back out there to do more of the same.

If at the moment you are in another country reading about these incidents and you hope to be able to go to Thailand soon, you might want to take notice of these scofflaws too. They're not making it any easier for you to be able to go.

If this disease is going to be beaten and fade into history, everybody needs to cooperate and obey the rules, whether you like the rules or not. You don't get to knowingly violate the rules because you can't handle life without alcohol. If you have any sympathy for these people, that's up to you. I have none.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:53 pm When they do get caught, but get off leniently, I believe that only encourages these rule violations. What good does it do to threaten a 20,000 baht fine but really fine only 1000 or 2000 baht - or no fine at all? No jail time and no heavy fines - at least none I've read about. A lecture, a paltry fine, maybe a couple of Hail Mary's along with it and you're right back out there to do more of the same.
A 2000 baht fine is about 6 times the minimum wage, so it ought to be meaningful for the average Thai.
However, if the matter can be solved by slipping a few 100 baht notes to the BIB, then law enforcement is not effective.

As far as I can see, it's the same with other matters such as not wearing helmets on motorcycles, traffic offences and so on. Which is why about 20,000 die on the roads every year, which is, incidentally, far in excess of the total covid deaths to date.

So are covid rules simply reverting to normal Thai standards where the law can be ignored if tea money is paid ? We have read about people bribing their way out of Thai quarantine after arriving from Cambodia. Then for what it's worth, the outbreak in Cambodia was allegedly started when some Chinese visitors arriving from a third country bribed their way out of quarantine.

That might be the price of living in/visiting this part of SE Asia. One which we have all been prepared to accept.

I guess tourists will stay away from Thailand for a few months.
Even expats of a certain age will probably be OK if they are very careful until getting a vaccine.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:05 pm A 2000 baht fine is about 6 times the minimum wage, so it ought to be meaningful for the average Thai.
It ought to be, yes, but apparently it isn't meaningful enough to put a stop to it. The enforcement seems to me to be ineffective. Most people comply voluntarily because they don't want to risk Covid. I don't see much evidence they are complying because they are afraid of the fines or prison.

Most of the time when these parties are raided it is because the police were tipped off - by Thais.

The scofflaws are at it nearly every day. If there isn't yet another similar story in the news tomorrow, I will certainly be surprised.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:14 pmIt ought to be, yes, but apparently it isn't meaningful enough to put a stop to it. The enforcement seems to me to be ineffective.
The enforcement of quite a lot of things in Thailand is ineffective.
For example: I'm not sure what the official fine for not wearing a motorcycle helmet is, but google suggests 1000 baht. I heard the unofficial bribe was about 400 for farang, possibly less for Thais.
If EVERYONE riding without a helmet was fined 1000 and not allowed to proceed with their journey until wearing a helmet properly, with the strap done up, it would be much more effective than letting people carry on, having paid 200 baht tea money.

So it's no surprise covid rules get ignored, since it's just the same as anything else. Presumably the 2000 baht fine is replaced by a modest and affordable bribe ? Priced at that sweet spot where the BIB can raise revenue, without changing behaviour.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:25 am Presumably the 2000 baht fine is replaced by a modest and affordable bribe ?
I suppose that depends on who is doing the presuming. I know of no evidence whatsoever that anyone is bribing their way out of emergency decree violations. It is usually groups being stopped for emergency decree violations, not individuals.

Of course, there is one thing we don't know - or at least I don't. Once fines are paid, what becomes of the money?
I have my own guesses about that.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

This certainly is a good sign, but so far these reopenings apply only to Bangkok.

Bangkok approves reopening of museums, tattoo parlors, beauty salons, massage parlors, spas, and public parks under strict health measures, effective tomorrow (June 1)

By Nop Meechukhun

31 May 2021

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and the Bangkok Communicable Disease Committee this afternoon, May 31st, have approved of the reopening of museums, tattoo parlors, beauty clinics, massage parlors, spas, and public parks, starting tomorrow, June 1st.

It’s important to note this is only Bangkok and does not include Chonburi as provincial measures differ based on governors.

The BMA stated after the meeting that the reopening was approved as no clusters were found at certain types of establishments but rather at markets and construction worker camps. The measure is aimed to alleviate the financial suffering of the business sectors in the industries and allow their employee to work under strict government measures.

The establishments that have been approved to be operated from June 1st onward are as follows:

1. Museums: landmark museums, local museums, learning centers, centers for science learning, science park, centers for science and culture, historical sites, archaeological sites, and art galleries. Large groups of visitors are still prohibited under the strict health measures of the BMA.

2. Tattoo parlors, piercing parlors, beauty salons, and nail salons can be opened under strict measures. If an infection was found in the shop, it must be closed for 14 days for disinfection and quarantine of employers and employees.

3. Beauty institutions like weight loss clinics and skin care

4. Health establishments: spas, massage parlors for health and beauty, Thai massage parlors, foot massage parlors. However, the establishments must abstain from all types of body steaming, and facial massage.

5. Public parks, botanical gardens, and flower gardens must be opened under strict measures. Large group sitting and gatherings are not allowed. No food is allowed, except drinking water. No picnics.

Other types of establishments that are not mentioned above will remain closed until at least June 14th, according to the announcement of temporary closure (issue No. 29).

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/31/b ... -tomorrow/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Whoops! Not so fast! Looks like the powers-that-be changed their minds about allowing some of these venues to reopen.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update: CCSA puts the brakes on relaxing some measures in Bangkok for at least two more weeks

By Adam Judd

31 May 2021

The Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration, or CCSA, has put the brakes on a plan to relieve some measures in Bangkok effective tomorrow originally proposed and put together by the Bangkok Governor and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

We announced this plan earlier this afternoon here.

The plan was to relax several things, including massage shops and the current closure of parks, which has been a major complaint from Bangkok residents for weeks.

The announcement from the CCSA has simply stated that all five measures, including parks that saw social media flooded earlier today with excited and pleased messages about the relief, are now reversed.

According to the CCSA announcement, all five measures will remain closed/off-limits until at least June 14th.

The reaction was swift on social media, with many Thai and English commenters furious, especially about parks. Businesses, like massage shops, who were looking forward to being able to get back to work and have received limited to no financial assistance after weeks of shutdowns as most are staffed by informal workers who are not eligible for social security benefits, were also expressing their anger online.

However, there were some online comments that supported the decision, stating that with the number of cases currently, most coming from Bangkok, it was too early to relax any restrictions.

https://tpnnational.com/2021/05/31/upda ... ore-weeks/

CCSA puts brakes on City Hall relaxation

Five groups of places no longer allowed to reopen

31 May 2021

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) has put brakes on City Hall's plan to allow five types of businesses, including spas and beauty clinics, to open on Tuesday.

City Hall announced on Monday morning it allowed some places with no reports of Covid clusters to open from Tuesday, including spas and beauty clinics.

Its communicable disease committee met on Monday to consider easing Covid-19 measures for businesses. The panel decided that since the Covid clusters to date were found in communities, markets and construction workers’ camps, measures for other places should be eased to help operators.

But in the afternoon, it said the CCSA had delayed the decision by 14 days from June 1. It did not give reasons for the sudden change.

According to City Hall's order earlier, the places allowed to operate from Tuesday were:

. museums, learning centres, with strict measures in place such as a ban on group visits
. tattoo shops, or shops providing any kind of skin-piercing services, and nail salons
. beauty and weight-control clinics and shops
. spas and massage shops, except sauna and facial massage services
. public parks, botanical or floral gardens, with strict measures in place such as a ban on group sitting and consumption of food and drinks, except drinking water

Other places remain temporarily closed until June 14, it had said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... relaxation

CCSA suspends the BMA order to reopen five types of venue

by The Nation

May 31, 2021

Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Monday suspended an order of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to reopen five types of venue from Tuesday (June 1).

Previously, the BMA concluded that five types of venue will be reopened.

The organisation said the reopening was aimed to relieve burdens on business by enabling them to operate under strict conditions.

Meanwhile, efforts to control Covid-19 outbreaks in communities, markets and worker camp were continuing, it added.

Venues planned to reopen from Tuesday are as follows:

1. Museums, learning centres, science parks, historic sites and art galleries (no group visits).

2. Tattoo parlours and nail salons (must close for 14 days if any Covid-19 cases are discovered).

3. Beauty/weight loss clinics and parlours.

4. Spa, massage parlours and healthcare-related venues (no steam baths or facial massages).

5. Public parks, botanical and flower gardens (no food or gatherings).

However, according to the latest CCSA order, the five types of venue will remain shut until June 14, as well as other places in Bangkok.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001517
puan

Post by puan »

Right hand to left hand: " what are you doing? "

Left hand to right hand: " what are YOU doing? "