Covid 19 in Chiang Mai

Anything and everything about Thailand
ceejay

Covid 19 in Chiang Mai

Post by ceejay »

The situation here has suddenly become pretty grim. There were 148 new confirmed cases yesterday and 186 more today - 334 confirmed cases in 2 days! They are mostly in Muang District. The Provincial Administration has re-activated a field hospital at the International Conference and Exhibition Centre in preparation for further cases.
Wish us luck
Jun

Re: Covid 19 in Chiang Mai

Post by Jun »

What's the source of this outbreak ?

I thought most of Northern Thailand was classified as Green Zone, but hadn't been following it in the last couple of weeks.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

So far as I understand it, four Chiang Mai residents were in Bangkok and returned on April 1st. They had visited locations connected to the Thonglor cluster. On April 5th the first of them was confirmed with Covid-19. This had by then spread via contacts in bars and clubs, including Warmup, which was associated with a previous outbreak. Many of the confirmed cases are students at Chiang Mai University.
It seems to be the so-called "UK Variant" which is extremely infectious - hence the alarming rate of increase.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I am concerned about further serious outbreaks all over Thailand because no travel restrictions were imposed for Songkran. A few provinces set up their own restrictions, but only a very few. Yesterday the news showed massive traffic jams in Korat and hundreds of cars on the ferry boats to Koh Chang.

In other words, a great many people are traveling. I hope I'm wrong, but it does seem to me problems are inevitable.

The safest thing I can think of to do is to just stay home as much as possible and do whatever you need to do outside the home as early in the morning or late at night as possible, when stores are less likely to be crowded.

As far as I know, everyone reading this board has so far managed to avoid getting Covid. I hope it stays that way.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

I agree with everything GB says. Now is the time to start taking care - this new variant spreads so quickly that, by the time it has become apparent that it is present in an area, it may be too late to take precautions.

Good luck everyone and, more importantly, be careful.

(281 new confirmed cases in CM today)