GB - Where have you been?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: GB - Where have you been?

Post by Gaybutton »

puan wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:22 pm Oooops GB...my error and miss communication.
Ok. It is not necessary to post that you sent a PM to somebody. If a PM is sent, the recipient will receive an Email notification and also see a notice when he logs on to the board.
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

Got your pm and appreciate it. I doubt gaybutton would object to your posting the agent info on this thread.
gera

Post by gera »

Thanks for posting your story. Prostate and bladder cancers are a real danger for people of a certain age and the latter is especially dangerous for people who are on potent diabetic drugs. Hope you will go through this ordeal with flying colors.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:16 am a real danger for people of a certain age
I don't think anyone needs me to warn there are a great many medical dangers. In my case, two surgeries in the space of two weeks was very hard to take. Nevertheless it had to be done. Again, I stress if anyone is having any kind of medical problems, don't hesitate. Get yourself checked out before it is too late.

Mr. Graham: "I thought it might go away."
Dr. Sir Adam Kelno: "Ah yes! Very sensible! These things either go away or eventually they kill you. You thought you'd wait and see, eh?"
- Anthony Hopkins (Dr. Sir Adam Kelno), Derek Newark (Mr. Graham), 'QB VII'
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I received a PM attacking and insulting me, as if I give a damn, but I will mention what he said about health insurance. If it comes to all expats, including those on the "O" visa, at some point being required to hold Thai approved health insurance, Cigna is not on Thailand's list, but Pacific Cross is.

He said, "Pacific Cross provides more coverage at less cost, and provides cover in the US as well, albeit at a reduced benefit."

Based on that, you might want to check Pacific Cross. You do have choices.

As for his personal attack, I have not banned him from the board. His is not exactly the first time I've been the recipient of attacks, but if someone is trying to convince me to agree with him, that sort of thing won't work. I did, however, think his point about approved insurance was well taken and ought to be considered when making a health insurance choice.
Ruthrieston

Post by Ruthrieston »

Well done you GB for going through the necessary surgery and treatment. I hope you are healing well, take care.
Moses

Post by Moses »

welcome to club... now you should check blood for PSA every 3 months and scan bones once per year (or, better - PET)... at least next 3 years...
Local private gay guides and companions
[*] in South East Asia http://siamroads.com
[*] in Thailand http://bkktour.info/
Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

Thanks for sharing re your experience .... so glad that all's well that ends well.
MichaelGT

Post by MichaelGT »

I am glad you are OK. Thank you for sharing your experience and information about your insurance.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

GB - Although not the most comfortable of experiences, glad to hear it all turned out well. Having had similar experiences, I can sympathize.

In my case, a bladder infection was the reason for the procedure with the camera in the bladder, fortunately no tumor in my case. Earlier than that, because of urination problems and medicine ceasing to help, my Urologist at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya recommended and performed TURP (Transurethral resection of the prostate) surgery. He also obtained tissue for biopsy which revealed I had prostate cancer. I chose to have it treated by radiation (26 treatments at Wattana Hospital in Bangkok, part of the Bangkok Hospital Group). The treatment, more than 7 years ago, was effective - since then my periodic PSA tests have been less than 1% showing no recurrence.

I am glad you had a good health insurance policy as do I to cover the cost. I can't recommend mine to anyone as it is from my employment in USA. From various online message boards, I know there are many that "self insure" out of choice or say if they get ill, they will go back to their home country where they have national cover or if from USA, Medicare.

Although medical costs here are substantially less than USA, they can still be higher than one might expect and prepare for. Also, some medical situations will not allow you the time to return to your home country.

For example, 4 or 5 years ago, I had a stroke with loss of the use of my left arm and hand along with drooping on the left side of my mouth. I had my bf call BHP for an ambulance and was in the emergency room within an hour of having the stroke with time to receive clot busting medicine which has to be administered within 3 hours of a stroke, the sooner the better. They gave me 2 doses (apparently the number depends on condition and body weight) which were US$1,500 each (later I checked on the internet and the cost in USA is about $2,000 per dose). A couple of nights in hospital, one in ICU followed. Thanks to the medicine, no lasting effects except a small numbness in little & ring finger of left hand and a small area on the left inside the mouth.

Another example - 2 years ago last January, I felt fatigued and was experiencing shortness of breath. On my way to bed, I collapsed on the stairs. My bf called for a BHP ambulance. The diagnosis was a severe lung infection. I was in the hospital for 5+ weeks with the first 4 in ICU on a ventilator twice. While there, I also had a bout of not being able to urinate - very very painful until a catheter was inserted. The amount direct billed to my insurance was for about 2.2 million baht.

Thus as GB mentions and I agree, health insurance is a good thing to have if you can get it.