Pattaya - back in business

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya - back in business

Post by Gaybutton »

Chinese New Year is Friday, February 12, which means a long holiday weekend, especially topping it off with Valentine's Day on Sunday, February 14.

Unfortunately it is not looking good for Pattaya's tourism industry.

Pattaya hotels writing off Chinese New Year, look to Songkran

By Pattaya Mail

February 6, 2021

Pattaya hotels are writing off Chinese New Year and casting hopeful eyes toward Songkran.

The first weekend since the end of Pattaya’s lockdown saw most of the city’s hotels closed, from major resorts like the Hard Rock Hotel to four-star Aya Boutique to budget OYO inns.

Constrained supply meant, however, that those who did open found a surprising number of bookings, with Bangkok residents – still living in a coronavirus “red zone” – came to Pattaya for open bars, wine with their restaurant meal and simply a chance to get out of the big city.

But Pattaya City Councilman Sinchai Wattanasartsathorn, former president of the Pattaya Business & Tourism Association and an executive with the Flipper hotels group, said he doesn’t expect domestic tourism to pick up enough to warrant many hotels opening even for Chinese New Year later this month.

So far, reservations for the Feb. 12-14 holiday weekend are sparse right now, Sinchai said. But domestic tourists tend to book later than foreign tourists, so it’s too early to call Chinese New Year a wash, he said.

Nonetheless, most hoteliers are looking to April and the Songkran holiday, which has been extended by a day this year. It’s hoped that the April 12-15 break will draw many Thai tourists and that foreign tourism – bolstered by coronavirus vaccinations around the world – may show signs of life by then.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ran-342598
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I can understand the problem. With so many hotels closed, how much research would be necessary just to find which ones will be open. As far as I know, it is mainly the most expensive hotels remaining open - not exactly a major draw for many Thais who simply can't afford it.

At this time of year I usually see a great many billboards and banner ads for Chinese New Year celebrations, Chinese food, parades, etc. This year I have seen none at all. Not much reason for the usual holiday hordes to travel to Pattaya this year.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The following article comes as no surprise to me. It is in keeping with what I have been saying for months - that the tourist areas of Pattaya are in big trouble, but the other areas of Pattaya and "The Dark Side" are doing just fine and for the most part you wouldn't even know there is a problem. On "The Dark Side" nearly everything is open and functioning normally.

Part of the article stresses the hope that later in the year the restrictions will be lifted and foreign tourists can return to Pattaya. My question is not whether they can return, but rather will they return? My personal prediction is no, especially if the powers-that-be persist in this nonsense about changing Pattaya's paradigm and attempting to make Pattaya a "family oriented" tourist destination. Wrong! In my opinion, if they want a return of huge tourist numbers, then just butt out and let Pattaya become the way it was - the way that built up Pattaya in the first place.

What are they trying to do, start a campaign called "Please the Prudes"? I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I am sick and tired of this perception that sex is bad. Well, guess what, prudes - no it isn't. The only thing bad is your attempts to suppress it and deny the enjoyment of it to others. Let Pattaya be Pattaya and then, and I believe only then, everything will be just fine.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

‘Goodbye Pattaya’ goes viral on popular Thai Facebook groups as many people share stories of packing up and leaving

By Goong Nang(GN)

6 February, 2021

The trend ‘Goodbye Pattaya’ has gone viral on popular Thai social media groups as more people post online that they are leaving the hard-hit tourist city after a recent second period of Covid-19 related restrictions and closures and lack of tourists that have devastated the city that in 2019 was the 19th most visited city in the world with nearly ten million foreign visitors alone.

More people have seemed to understand accept that foreign tourists aren’t coming back anytime soon due to Covid-19 border restrictions and closures. Many rooms, building and houses are being sold or abandoned as many people leave back to their hometowns. Although some parts of town are still ok, such as the Dark Side or Jomtien and parts of LK Metro, other areas are now shadows of their past selves with rows and rows of empty shops and businesses. Some of the hardest hit areas are along Beach Road, Walking Street, Second Road, and in the formerly popular Arab and Indian portions of town.

An apartment complex owner Mr. Pasakorn Sunrarot told The Pattaya News, “Many people left their apartments since the first spread of the Covid -19 as they have no work.”

“After that everything seemed to get better before the new wave of the virus hit us again. “Now there is only one room that is being rented here in my entire complex of dozens of rooms.” Pasakorn said.

The downturn in the tourism dependent city has hit nearly every sector, The Pattaya News notes, and not just bars. Tailors, gift shops, clothing shops, tour offices, laundry shops, massage shops, Western style food places, fast food chains, and even many 7-11’s and Family Marts are now closed and vacant in the city besides entertainment venues and bars. For now, many have gone home hoping only that sometime later in the year quarantine will be dropped and foreigners can once again return to Thailand.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/02/06/g ... d-leaving/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The problem is that the adult scene venues, both gay and straight, are open for business, but hardly anyone is going - at least not enough to be of any substantial support.

See: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/02/09/p ... hoto-tour/

-and-

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... wns-342699

Meanwhile, all the gimmicks and incentives Thailand has come up with have been failures - hardly putting a dent in the tourism industry - and I, for one see no light at the end of the tunnel for the foreseeable future.

You might also want to see this article by Barry Kenyon if you haven't spotted it yet: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... 70#p103770

As far as I can tell, the outlook keeps getting gloomier. And this utter lunacy about wanting to make Pattaya a "family oriented" tourist destination is, in my opinion, only making things worse.

I don't think I'm being a pessimist about all this. I think I am looking at the situation realistically. Feel free to agree or disagree if you wish to post.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The bars are still supposed to close at 11:00pm. Some are not complying, but I suggest you do whether the bar does or not - unless you prefer to risk getting arrested.

By Adam Judd

10 February 2021

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/02/10/v ... ing-hours/
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

Panorama Bar in Boyztown Pattaya reopened last night. Good sized crowd. I was told Castro would be open tonight, Saturday .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you very much. I know many appreciate these updates. I hope everyone's favorites are surviving.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

X-boys was closed Saturday evening at 21:00. Have they given up?
Bars open in Boyztown were Panorama, Cupidol and Castro. They had some customers. I did not check inside Cupidol.

Sunee plaza doing ok. Winnerboys has been relatively busy since reopening.

All bars in Jomtien complex closed early Saturday evening. The boys in Sunee plaza told me there was a police raid in Jomtien complex and every bar there had to close. Sounds odd. Maybe someone has more info about this?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:46 am every bar there had to close. Sounds odd.
Sounds more than just odd to me. As long as I have lived in Thailand, this is the first time I have ever heard of a police raid ordering every bar in the vicinity to close. I have never heard of anything like that in Pattaya, Bangkok, or anywhere else in Thailand.

Definitely strange assuming the bars were all complying with the rules. I would like to know why the bars and boys would be out out of business even for one night by their own police, considering how they are struggling to survive.

I think we all want to know what this was all about. Once information starts coming in, I hope it will be consistent rather than the usual conflicting stories.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:18 am I think we all want to know what this was all about. Once information starts coming in, I hope it will be consistent rather than the usual conflicting stories.
Well that won't happen, this is Thailand after all. All I've heard yet is that there were/is some issue with "licenses" (for every bar in an entire bar complex!?).
Do you remember not long ago when the police raided bars all across Pattaya to confiscate dartboards? The bar owners got the message that they needed a new license for those. The problem was that the rule was new and the licenses wouldn't be available until a few days later. Maybe this is something similar with the same logic.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:40 pm Maybe this is something similar with the same logic.
Logic?

Maybe I just don't see things quite their way, but suppose it was something about licenses. They have to close every bar to check licenses? I guess there is no such thing as letting the bars operate, sending a team to go from bar to bar and only closing bars that actually had licensing problems - once they discovered any problems - if there even were any.

I would also like to know if they closed other bars around the area to check whatever they were checking. I hope we're not seeing a return to the days of "let's harass the gay bars".

"It's like deja vu all over again."
- Yogi Berra