If you are staying in a Pattaya hotel - you better read this

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

If you are staying in a Pattaya hotel - you better read this

Post by Gaybutton »

The Chonburi governor is planning to close all hotels. The reason for this is to provide a means for hotel staff to be able to collect financial assistance during the Covid crisis.

But close ALL hotels? Am I missing something here?

No article I have found says what happens with hotels that have at least a few guests. Are foreign guests going to be forced out and have to either leave Thailand or find alternative accommodations in another province - and then obtain the required paperwork to just get there? That doesn't make sense to me, but if you are currently in Pattaya staying in a hotel, you better talk to the management and find out just what this would mean for you if this proposal goes through.

And once you know what is going on, please let us know.

Chonburi governor agrees to temporarily close all hotels and provide financial remedies to hotel operators affected by Covid-19 Coronavirus, still needs final CCSA/Prime Minister approval

By Nop Meechukhun

26 January 2021

Chonburi governor Phakkhrathon Thianchai today, January 26th, has accepted a request from the Eastern Hotels Association to temporarily close all hotels and provide financial remedies, however, it still needs final approval from the Prime Minister and Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) who had reportedly previously given “soft” approval for the proposal.

The governor, along with the deputy governor and the Pattaya mayor, paid a visit to local hotel operators in Pattaya city, which many hotel businesses had adapted themselves to sell food at an affordable price to sustain their business during the second outbreak of the Covid-19 Coronavirus.

Phakkhrathon also revealed that the number of hotel bookings in Pattaya has plummeted to about 0 percent. However, Chonburi authorities have provided full assistance to help them operate the businesses during the financial difficulties according to the Governor.

Due to the significant drop in the number of booking rates, the Eastern Hotels Association and private hotel operators then proposed a solution to Chonburi authorities to close all hotel operations and provide financial assistance. A forced closure would allow the hotel and its staff to collect social security for the period of time affected by the virus. It’s unclear if the closure order would be retroactive to the past almost month that Chonburi has been under a highly controlled status essentially stopping domestic tourism. It’s also likely this would be more of a “symbolic” or “technical” closure primarily designed to get staff and hotels social security financial aid and not a “hard” closure that would leave people without rooms or places to stay if travel restrictions are dropped soon, as expected.

The proposal has not yet been finally approved but has been initially discussed at the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) general meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O’Cha. It will be further considered at a governmental meeting, likely this weekend, before hopefully being officially implemented in the province, and possibly nationwide in the 28 “red” high-risk provinces. The Governor noted hotels did not have to accept the forced closure if they had regular customers or bookings but could to pay their staff from social security during the current situation.

The governor also stated that domestic tourists were still welcome to visit the province regardless of the announcement of the highest and strictest surveillance control. Visitors will not have to perform 14-day quarantine because the provincial authorities have always ensured high surveillance and safety at all times.

“We would like to invite tourists to travel to Chonburi to enjoy delicious food from various hotels in Pattaya while appreciating beautiful scenery and many other attractions. Chonburi residents are always welcoming to everyone. As for entertainment and other popular venues that are still closed, these will be discussed at further CCSA and Chonburi meetings soon.” Phakkhrathon concluded.

The province has not, The Pattaya News notes, officially been dropped as a highly controlled province and, technically, one still needs written permission from a district official to enter. The Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration is expected to hold a major meeting this upcoming weekend to discuss the highly controlled zones. A proposal has been made to move Chonburi from a “deep red” zone to orange. It is not yet clear if this will be agreed upon by the CCSA, however, Chonburi has gone multiple days with zero cases of Covid-19 or in the very low single digits that are contact traced from other cases.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/01/26/c ... -approval/
gerefan

Re: If you are staying in a Pattaya hotel - you better read this

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:07 pm And once you know what is going on, please let us know.

It’s also likely this would be more of a “symbolic” or “technical” closure primarily designed to get staff and hotels social security financial aid and not a “hard” closure that would leave people without rooms or places to stay if travel restrictions are dropped soon, as expected.

The Governor noted hotels did not have to accept the forced closure if they had regular customers or bookings but could to pay their staff from social security during the current situation.
Like all the other “ Good Ideas” from the workplace this has to be approved by the Big Boss Thailand. As we saw only last week from the outburst about Covid tests to renew a visa, and many other “ideas”, this is NOT automatic. Far from it!

The answers to your questions are in the fine print of the article....highlighted above!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:03 pm The answers to your questions are in the fine print of the article....highlighted above!
The opinion of the article author is not enough to satisfy me and would definitely not be enough if I were staying in a Pattaya hotel. If this goes through, I would want to know from the hotel, not what the author has decided is "likely". What I think is "likely" is a hotel with very few guests would be telling them to pack their bags, especially if they are losing money by staying open.

Either way, "likely" would not be good enough for me. It would only be good enough for me if and when "likely" morphs to "definitely".
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

My take on this is if you are currently a hotel guest, now it is the hotel's decision as to letting you stay or forcing you out. The article still says "likely", so it is not quite clear. I advise you to immediately check with your hotel. Even if the hotel says you can stay, you need to try to find out how long you can stay. If the hotel will not let you stay, you need to have a "Plan B" ready because apparently you will have to leave the Chonburi province. It is not clear whether you would be allowed to check in to a local hotel that is going to stay open to its current guests or how to find a local hotel that can accommodate you.

I also don't know who you can report to if your hotel decides to let you stay, but jacks up the room rates.

If you are currently a Pattaya hotel guest, please let us know how this order affects you. Hopefully it won't, but if it does what will you do?

The article does say, "Quarantine hotels will not be affected."

Hotels and tourism attractions have closure order officially issued for Chonburi, schools officially re-open next Monday

By Adam Judd

28 January, 2021

The Chonburi Governor tonight (January 28th) has issued an official order to temporarily close all hotels (as well as hotel-related venues like guesthouses, resorts, etc.) and tourism attractions (that were not previously forced closed by Covid-19 measures) in Chonburi.

The closure follows the Chonburi governor Phakkhrathon Thianchai this week accepting a request from the Eastern Hotels Association to temporarily close all hotels.

The order stated, “All hotels and tourism places both government and non- government are ordered to temporarily close until further notice.”

“Hotels and operators must help their staffers and stress this is temporary, meant to help with financial aid, so they don’t leave the province in large numbers.”

“Any hotel or tourism place operator who does not want to close can file a document to the district chief officer in the area within seven days from now. Those who wish to remain open and have customers or those who have special reasons for staying open (like quarantine hotels) can do so but must inform their district officials.”

This afternoon the Chonburi governor Phakkhrathon Thianchai has also issued another order which allow schools to open, which we previously reported on yesterday. This order makes it official that all schools (along with tutors, educational institutions, etc.) will be able to launch again on Monday, February 1st.

This order is not because of any potential danger of the Covid-19 coronavirus or renewed spread. Hotel and tourism attraction owners who had not been previously forced closed have been asking for weeks for formal closures from the Chonburi government. This order is more of a “symbolic” closure and allows both staff and the hotel to collect social security benefits for the period of time affected by the Covid-19 coronavirus, essentially providing well-needed funds for an estimated 30,000 people who have been out of work since the end of last year due to domestic travel restrictions.

These closures will not affect any other loosening of restrictions and measures expected to take place in the near future and as stated above hotels and tourist attractions can “opt-out” of the closure if they choose to do so. We advise you to check with your hotel if traveling to the area in the near future or staying in one currently to see if they will be taking place in the order. It is also likely hotels will be able to “close” but allow current guests to stay. Quarantine hotels will not be affected.

https://tpnnational.com/2021/01/28/hote ... xt-monday/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Another aspect of this is hotel restaurants. Some hotels, including some high end hotels, have been offering dining-in discounts and/or food delivery. But now that the hotels have all been ordered closed, I don't know if any of those offers are continuing. I suggest calling the hotel of interest before going or ordering online. I haven't called any myself, so I am guessing that along with hotels being closed, their restaurants are also closed.

However, if it is a hotel that is staying open, that might be another story. But if you wish to dine at the hotel, I would still call first to make sure whether they are allowing people who are not hotel guests.

So here we are - Pattaya might very soon be easing the restrictions, but the hotels are ordered closed. Maybe I'm missing something, but to me now we've got a "What's wrong with this picture?".
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Some hotels have remained open during Covid-19. I recently stayed at the Intercontinental and Grand Centre Point here in Pattaya while my condo project had water shut-offs. I can book a room there tonight if I so desired. There are restrictions, no pool, no gym. The governor's order enables laid-off employees at those hotels that closed (no business) to qualify for government benefits.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:26 am Some hotels have remained open during Covid-19.
I wonder if there is some sort of list of hotels remaining open, whether they will take new guests, what restrictions apply, and if they have a restaurant, whether it is open, the hours, and open to the public.

If such a list, or partial list, exists, I haven't seen it.

Of course, if any of you can provide some information, please post. It would be very helpful to know at least some of the hotels staying open and where they are. If you can also provide the hotel's telephone number, that would help too.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Open:

Intercontinental (Pratumnak)
Royal Cliff (Pratumnak)
Holiday Inn
Dusit Thani
Grand Centre Point (T21)
Avani (?)
Mercure

Closed:
Hilton (Central Festival)

Limited dining, many restaurants closed (Royal Cliff and Intercontinental), breakfasts for guests no problem.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you very much Up2u. I think you just helped several people, especially if they are about to have to leave their current accommodations in Pattaya.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

All the hotels I passed tonight in South Pattaya appear to be operating normally. Even saw signs for short time (only 250 bt) all lit up!

Many had big signs outside offering rates of only 550 bt per night. These were all open too.

I suspect this is some form of technicality and will have little or no effect on visitors.