Hey! What about the expats?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Hey! What about the expats?

Post by Gaybutton »

While there is so much publicity about the plight of the tourism industry and how to get tourists to come back, what about the expats already in Thailand and those who would like to join us by retiring in Thailand? Many of us have been living in Thailand for years, with our money supporting Thai businesses - everything from restaurants to the bars. I think we provide a significant amount of money to Thailand, but I get annoyed when I see the recovery efforts going to everybody except the expats.

All kinds of gimmicks either already in place or proposed to get tourists to return - few of which have so far amounted to much of anything. While I realize tourist numbers would vastly outnumber the expat population, expats have much to contribute as well. But what does Thailand do? It seems like every year there are more and more obligations and uncertainties placed on us. And especially this requirement to keep 800,000 baht (nearly US $27,000 at current exchange rates) sitting in a Thai bank account, virtually untouchable. How about giving us a break? I can think of a lot of things I could be doing with that money besides being forced to let it just sit there. I wonder how much money could go toward Thailand's financial woes and supporting struggling businesses if Thailand would change the rules and give us access to that money - or at least a substantial part of it.

But I never see or hear anything about it. I wonder, and doubt, if any such thoughts have occurred to the powers-that-be.

Well, powers-that-be - we're here. It's a two way street. Help us out and we'll be glad to help you out. But for us to do that, you're going to have to make some changes - for once in our favor.

Unfortunately, I won't be holding my breath . . .