Rayong

Anything and everything about Thailand
RichardCT

Rayong

Post by RichardCT »

Hi all. I would be interested to get some opinions or experiences with regard to retirement living in RAYONG. Looking for somewhere within easy distance of airports etc, definitely less hectic than Pattaya and with more swimmable beaches in terms of water quality. Thanks!
Gaybutton

Re: Rayong

Post by Gaybutton »

I think you need to let us know more specifics. I have a few questions:

1. Are you looking for a house or a condo?
2. Are you planning to rent or buy?
3. Will you have your own transportation - car, motorbike?
4. The only nearby airport is the U-Tapao airport.
5. You should be aware that several beaches in Rayong do not allow foreigners, mainly because they are on military property.
6. Are you planning to eat mostly Thai food?
7. Are you planing to do mostly your own cooking?
8. Can you speak or read Thai?

The more details you can tell us about what you're looking for, the easier it will be for people to provide suggestions.
RichardCT

Post by RichardCT »

Thanks Gaybutton for your questions.

We are a couple in LTR. Neither of us able to speak or read Thai.
Probably rent initially before purchasing. Definitely a condo or other low maintenance lock-up-and-go scenario but without ownership issues or complications if purchasing.
Yes, intend to have transportation but would also be good to be within walking distance of at least some conveniences.
Thanks, was not aware of the restrictions on beaches.
No problem with eating Thai food and cooking for ourselves.
U-Tapao airport could work at times - I think I read that its spread of airlines and destinations is increasing. Otherwise proximity to Suvarnabhumi should be okay.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

My advice is to start with renting for a few months. If you like it there, no problem to continue. If not, all you would need to do is walk away.

I also suggest no matter where you start, spend time looking around at other areas and other provinces. You might find somewhere you like much better and you would easily be able to move.

Last, but not least, I urge you to take lessons for learning Thai. Many farang live in Thailand and have never learned a word of Thai, but believe me - if you can communicate in Thai your life gets much easier. I am by no means fluent in Thai, but I speak the language well enough that I never have any problems communicating. You don't even have to wait until you are in Thailand. There are probably schools or tutors nearby where you live.

Remember, the most important thing about learning Thai is not the word itself, but getting the tones right. If you can master the tones, the rest will be easy.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

You may also want to look at nearby areas, i.e. Bang Saen or Bang Saray. The first is located north of Pattaya near Sriracha, which is a large enough city to provide shopping, foreign restaurants (many Japanese, but some Western), nice beach area frequented mostly by Thais from Bangkok on weekends. Sriracha also has good hospitals, Phyathai Sriracha being a good International hospital - I also understand they have a very good Government hospital there. It is about 30 to 40 minute drive to Pattaya and about an hour to Suvarnabhumi.

The second, is located south of Pattaya toward Sattahip about 20+ minutes. It has a beach area, not as nice IMO as Bang Saen, and several nice seafood restaurants out over the water. It has built up recently and should have some rental properties available in gated communities (a good friend of mine lives in one and is within walking distance of the beach) - not sure about condos, but there are probably some in the area. It is not too far to U-Tapao airport. Sattahip has some shopping centers. Queen Sirikit Government Hospital is about 20 minutes further on Sukhumvit highway (toward U-Tapao) - it is also a Thai Navy hospital and well equipped - many expats here in Pattaya go there. For private International Hospitals, Pattaya is probably closest.

As GB said, best to rent and look around until you find what you want.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I'm curious why you have written off Pattaya and surrounding areas. I think that might be a mistake. It's true, Pattaya City itself is crowded and hectic, but Jomtien (5 minutes south of city central) and Naklua (5 minutes north of city central) both offer very affordable condos and private residences. In Jomtien the beach is virtually across the street and the water, although it will never pass a purity test, is clean.
I tout Pattaya for a myriad of reasons. Don't discount how important farang friends will become - there just aren't that many in Rayong. Add to that the overwhelming array of restaurants and markets, gay venues to enjoy not just for sex, ready access to repair services of every kind, easy access to transportation such of song taos, taxis, and motorcycle taxis, several food delivery services from hundreds of restaurants, and so many other things. Think again about Pattaya.
RichardCT

Post by RichardCT »

Many thanks GB, 2lz2p and RichLB for your advice and suggestions.
Why not Pattaya?
We really are hoping to have direct access (or failing that, very close proximity) to a "swimmable" beach without having to pay ridiculously huge rentals or purchase prices. That is the primary reason for thinking we would need to look beyond Pattaya.
I think also the many times we have visited Pattaya have always been during the peak tourist season which is perhaps a contributing influence?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichardCT wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:06 am We really are hoping to have direct access (or failing that, very close proximity) to a "swimmable" beach
You may be looking in the wrong direction. North of Pattaya, right between Pattaya and Bangkok, is Bang Saen. You might want to check Bang Saen.

Don't forget, Thailand has a west coast too. You might want to have a look at some of the towns there. Hua Hin is the most well known city on the west coast.
pong

Post by pong »

Sorry, but both SriRacha and BgSaen are not in Rayong province=chaingwat, but Chlburi, as Pattaya is. SR also has some heavy Japanese expat population and hence servcies aimed at them.
Note that in TH both capital city and [rovince bear the same name. Rayong itself is a mid-sized and quite indutrial city, with quite a few , mostly Japanese, factories and hence somn expat people and the assiocoiated faciities. Including good rental all-in properties. But persoanlly I find it a non-interested city. Nearby is the touristy island of Koh Samet, which is a kind of national park and this you cannot settle and have to pay entry fee.
EAST of RY city are a few, not that big, more natural beaches, West of it also count on sometimes heavy pollution due to neary big port, Thailands 2nd biggest.
IF indeed, and do not decide tjat too hasty, coastal provincial living is your liked goal, also consider further east; TRAT province.
All the best for you. You must be aware that for now it will take monthes if not years before TH opens up again so plenty of time to peruse oither fora and inform yourself. Ibcluding starting to learn some basic phaasaa Thai! Choide dee laeh koh sawasdee phimai yisip-yisip et.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The obvious thing to do would be to wait until Thailand opens up again, then travel up and down all the coasts, staying at least 48 hours in anywhere that might be of interest.
Then stay a lot longer in the places you do like.

I've not been into Rayong, but going past, it reminded me of Middlesborough, with what looked like large chemical plants.

I found Hua Hun was pleasantly less hectic than Pattaya, but unfortunately there was almost no gay scene. About 1.5 bars and no massage options.
The rail line to Hua Hin is being upgraded. If they then run a fast service to Bangkok, it might help your connectivity needs. If it's just an exercise in propping up the contruction industry, with no intention of running a good service afterwards, this is less relevant.