Pattaya under strong restrictions until further notice - the bars are closed

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Pattaya under strong restrictions until further notice - the bars are closed

Post by Jun »

How far do Thai lockdowns go ? I presume supermarkets etc will stay open?

Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya under strong restrictions until further notice - the bars are closed

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:44 pm
How far do Thai lockdowns go ?
We'll find out soon enough. I think it depends on how well the public cooperates with the restrictions. Unfortunately there are always a few morons around who think the rules apply to everyone except themselves.

What to expect next in Pattaya’s nightmare lockdown

By Barry Kenyon

December 30, 2020

After a startling rise in infections in Banglamung and Rayong, it was inevitable that the “city of fun” would come under near-total lockdown. Nonetheless, it’s important to note that this screwing-down of the lid is not quite so severe as the previous one beginning April 9, 2020. This time around, there is no ban on the retail sale of alcohol which resulted in panicky supermarket pandemonium last time.

So far at least, there is no ban on going to the beach but you mustn’t appear in a group, open a beer, or organize a full moon party. Or even a half moon one. Importantly, there is no curfew in Pattaya and no road checks requiring you to prove with documentation why you aren’t at home in splendid isolation.

That said, confusion is bound to reign supreme in the first day or two of the current lockdown. One farang misunderstood that the closure of entertainment places also included the immigration bureau, so he need not do his 90 days nor renew his visa. Sorry sir. Another was turned away by the cashier when he tried to buy new underpants in a superstore because clothing is not now considered “an essential item of purchase.”

He protested that the purchase was indeed essential as he had soiled the pair he was wearing. The tourist police were called. No sympathy, but they did run him home. At the time of writing, there is still official ambiguity about whether hairdressers can operate normally and what is the difference between a DIY retail unit and a construction store. This is apparently relevant if you are trying to purchase a chain-saw.

One of the first consequences of the December 2020 lockdown is that some people will risk breaking the rules by consuming alcohol in groups. Last time just over 150 Thais and foreign visitors were arrested in Pattaya alone for attending pool parties or patronizing illicit drinking dens.

In spite of the possible draconian penalties, including deportation for aliens, most were let go after a sojourn in the police station and a fine of 50,000 baht or so. Few wanted to repeat the experience.

It’s important to remember that Thailand has a huge network of officials and Thai volunteers who are well used to maintaining social order during crises and even military coups. Best not to be tempted to socialize with alcohol as the stimulant.

The saddest part of this second 2020 lockdown is the misery to be inflicted on parts of the local Thai population. Many hotels, restaurants, bars, clubs and massage parlours never reopened in July, when allowed to resume business, and the current crisis is likely to sound the permanent death knell of even more. The last crackdown lasted roughly three months, although there was some relaxation of the rules towards the end.

The lifespan of the current lockdown is speculative but is unlikely to be lifted any sooner: there are currently far more infections in the region than there were last April, whilst approved vaccines and mass testing still lie in the medium-term future. Although many Thais will leave Pattaya for their home province, there will be many here dependent on public goodwill such as food banks and distribution networks.

A serious problem is that foreign businesses which proved bountiful last time around in this context no longer have funds or have already closed. The extent to which the Thai government and the local authorities fill the gap remains to be seen. Police are already warning that opportunistic and street crime might well rebound during the second coronavirus wave.

An underrated problem, especially for foreigners in Pattaya, is social isolation and sheer loneliness as their eating venues and places of entertainment remain under lock and key. Many are retired and elderly and not all are adept at using social media or Zoom to maintain contact with others here and abroad. The only answer can be regular exercise, if possible, and relaxation techniques. The isolation syndrome is something that expat and rotary clubs should consider as part of their lockdown strategies. Last time, one enterprising farang did try to offer distance bingo by shouting out the numbers in front of a block of flats. Sadly, it wasn’t a huge success.

Pattaya has faced many crises in the past. She has been rubbished by international travel magazines as the worst destination in Asia, haunted by the international press as a paradise for criminals, threatened with extinction by the AIDS crisis and denounced for its pollution and wastefulness. Pattaya survived all these stereotypical assaults because she is forever changing and evolving to capture new markets. The city which arises from the Covid-19 pandemic will be different again. But arise she surely will.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/what-t ... own-338980

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Even though Pattaya is not locked down, it might as well be. Not very much to go out for at the moment and we have no idea yet how long this will last or if the situation will get any worse.

However, the good news is those in Pattaya can stay put at home or wherever you are and still get virtually anything you need delivered to you.

For groceries, you can order through Grab, Makro Click, Big C, Tops, and others.

For non-essential items - virtually anything you can think of - you can order from Lazada and Shopee.

For banking, other than going to an ATM you can do most transactions and bill paying from your online account.

For immigration, you can do the 90-day address report online. Anything else still requires a trip to the immigration office.

For willing young gents, plenty of hook-up apps and plenty of boys making themselves available on them.

For meals, plenty of apps for that too such as Grab, Line Man, Hungry Now, Food Panda - even KFC, Pizza Company, McDonald's and many more have their own delivery service. Everything from breakfasts, lunches, dinners, and snacks are available.

As bad as the situation is right now, at least these things are available and can all be ordered from the comfort of your home and delivered right to your door.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Lazada forces customers to select a Thai billing address, which therefore makes paying with an overseas credit card difficult.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:15 pm
Lazada forces customers to select a Thai billing address, which therefore makes paying with an overseas credit card difficult.
If you have a Thai bank account you can use the debit card.

I don't understand what difference it makes whether it's an overseas card or a Thai card. Just use as a billing address the same as you're using as the delivery address. What's the difficult part? Lazada doesn't care that it is an overseas card as long as the card gets accepted.

You can also order C.O.D. Then you don't need a card at all.

If that is still a problem, call Lazada's customer service and ask them what to do. Do you really think if there is something you want to buy, but you only have an overseas card, Lazada won't have a method for you to pay? 02 018 0000

Jun

Post by Jun »

My Thai bank account is a savings account, so I presume the card is for ATMs only and not a debit card. Although, I may be wrong.

I believe the billing address needs to match the credit card address, otherwise the credit card payment will fail. The drop down menus for the address only give options in Thailand.

C.O.D. may work, if the reception staff are cooperative here.

I tried the Lazada web chat, but that came up with errors.

As an alternative, how long does shipping to Thailand from the US take ? I could use a nice professional company like iHerb, which accepts my card and manages to ship ftom the US to the UK in about 8 days.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:54 pm
I tried the Lazada web chat, but that came up with errors.
Then don't use web chat. Call their number. 02 018 0000

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

UPDATE: Casa Pascal just announced, while I was in the middle of writing this post, the government apparently reversed the decision about restaurants and they can open tonight for New Year's Eve.
Casa Pascal wrote:Official Government Decision
Yes, WE ARE OPEN!

WE ARE OPEN TONIGHT

If you have a reservation, PLEASE COME!
If you didn't have any plans yet, CALL US to see if there is a table available!

061 643 9969
That is all I know. Whether that applies to any other nights and/or also applies to the bars - I don't know yet. If later anyone is able to find any further information, please post.

Business owners, affected staff in Banglamung show anger, demand financial compensation from government for sudden Covid-19 related closures and measures in district

By Adam Judd

31 December, 2020

Following the closure of most businesses in the Banglamung area, many Thai and foreign business owners have been posting on social media and complaining to authorities over the past 24 hours, demanding compensation and support from the government for the sudden closure of businesses with no advance notice over what is normally the busiest time of year.

Many restaurant owners in particular, moved to takeout only, complained that they had fully booked restaurants for New Year’s Eve dinners and had purchased large amounts of champagne and extra food and ingredients and were now out large amounts of money due to the closure notice being made with no advance notice. Although some bar and nightclub owners expected a potential measure of restrictions most restaurant owners, both Thai and Foreign, stated they did not expect to be shut, especially with no advance notice.

There was also anger shown to local and regional officials who had repeatedly said they did not want to “lockdown” or shutdown businesses to control the virus in the area and knew the impact a shutdown would have on business owners who have already been devastated by the impact the past year has had on Pattaya with foreign tourists essentially being banned from entering the country. Some business owners on social media also questioned why they were “being punished” but business owners in nearby Sattahip or Si Racha were still allowed to open and they were losing customers as there were no domestic travel restrictions.

In 2019, Pattaya was the 19th most visited city in the world and welcomed almost ten million visitors, a record. This year, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the city, which relies on tourism for about 80 percent of it’s GDP, has been devastated.

The Thai Government and local officials, however, have mostly stayed mum on any plans to provide assistance to areas like Banglamung and Rayong that have suffered business closures that heavily impact both employees and business owners.

It remains to be seen if any such programs or compensation will arrive, but The Pattaya News notes it is unlikely. Pattaya was originally set to throw a New Year Countdown Festival with the top performing musical artists in Thailand but as the Covid-19 cluster of infections spread across the country and into Chonburi the event was cancelled. The event would have potentially brought hundreds of thousands of domestic tourists and a much needed business to many local business owners, especially those catering to Thai tourists.

Now, however, the city will remain painfully quiet at midnight tonight.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/12/31/b ... -district/

thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Message from Peter at Yupins. They will be open tonight. I asked him 'just for one night only?' but he said no one knows. Which is how Thailand officialdom operates.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:13 pm
I asked him 'just for one night only?' but he said no one knows.
Why am I not surprised? At least we know restaurants can open tonight (New Year's Eve). I have no idea whether bars can also open tonight, but I am guessing they cannot.

I am also guessing it is just one night only for the restaurants, to appease the restaurant owners who invested a lot of money for New Year's Eve dinners.

At the time of this post, no further word.