Very sad news - Geezer - Burnett Roberts - has died

Anything and everything about Thailand
Butch

Re: Very sad news - Geezer - Burnett Roberts - has died

Post by Butch »

GB,

Thank you for being all those sharing experiences and letting me know a little about Burnett's passing. He was a longtime dear friend and high school mentor. As you know he was no bragger, so let me tell you that he was one of the most respected and liked teachers at Rossville High School, Rossville Georgia. He was like a big brother to me. He would take me and other students camping, hiking, cliff repealing, and cave exploring. One summer he, me, and a couple of other friends drove his jeep on a four-week camping trip throughout Mexico. I lost touch with him until a few yeas ago when a friend of his in Chattanooga gave me his email address. Long story short, we started Skyping and a few years ago my wife and I took a six-week tour of SE Asia which included several days in Chiang Mai to see him. He loved fruit cake so I started sending three 1- pound Claxton's each holiday season. I called it his annual ration. I sent his ration this year before I learned of his passing. I'm attaching a "thank you" email I sent to Dok Kaew Gardens and their return email that I want to share with all his crazy friends in Thailand. God I love that man, so thanks for your help!!!

Cheers,
Butch Bedwell

Re: emails

Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 1:46 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Cc: 'Bill Bedwell'
Subject:

To whom it may concern at Dok Kaew Gardens:

First I want to personally thank you for taking such good care of my
longtime friend and high school mentor, Burnett Roberts. I have many, many
stories that I’ll spare you from I just learned that he passed away in early
October. My wife and I visited him several years ago and saw your fantastic
facility. He loved Claxton’s fruit cake from my state of Georgia here in
the U.S. Every year I would send him what I called his annual ration of
fruit cake. Well, last week before I learned of his passing, I mailed him
his three 1-pound cakes. We you receive the package, please feel free to
share it with your staff and or anyone else at the center. It’s a popular
holiday treat here in the U.S.

Thanks again,

-----------------
Bill & Lisa Bedwell
Cape Canaveral, Florida USA

Dear Bill and Lisa,
We are glad to hear from you. Yes, Burnett passed away peacefully. He was somewhat confused near the end, but he did not need to take any pain medication and this had been one of his biggest concerns.
Yes, I do remember that he would receive fruitcake each year. When it arrives we will share it with the other residents in remembrance of Burnett. Maybe for Christmas day dessert.
Burnett certainly was a colorful character.
Thank you again, and also for the nice photos.
Take care and keep well,
Holly Denney
Adviser Dok Kaew Gardens
ramzes

Post by ramzes »

Very sorry to hear of Burnett's passing. I met him on my very first day in Thailand in 1999. I was sitting next to him at Amor and as he was alone, he invited me to join him at his table. I will never forget that dinner in such a pleasant company. I enjoyed his wisdom, sense of humour and philosophy of life. We met for few drinks each time I was visiting Pattaya until he moved up north. I will miss him very much.
Butch

Post by Butch »

Had to reduce pixels to post these photos taken when we visited Roberts a few years ago. BB

RoaminRooster

Post by RoaminRooster »

I also remember that incident . And the boy coming into work a few days later " WITH THAT BIG SMILE ON HIS FACE" !! His whole personality changed with getting His Tooth replaced !

That was Burnett a VERY LOVING AND CARINIG INDIVIDUAL !

Roaminrooster
crabby

Post by crabby »

Very sad to hear. He was one of my best customers and was loved by many.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

crabby wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:59 pm loved by many.
I've got news for you - so are you. I, and I have a feeling I am speaking for many, wish you would come back to Pattaya, reopen a bar, and save Pattaya's gay scene.
crabby

Post by crabby »

You are too kind. Now no money, no job, deteriorating health, no dick since Thailand in 2011. Life in Alabama sucks but my house is paid for and Thomas is doing well with UBER. Would love to move back, but shy of winning the lottery, it will never happen. Hope all of you are doing well!