Super Typhoon Goni

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Super Typhoon Goni

Post by Gaybutton »

The Philippines is going to take a very hard hit. Evacuations have already been ordered in the Philippines.

As you can see from the projected path, it is also heading right for Thailand. However, by the time it reaches Thailand it will most likely be downgraded to a tropical storm or a tropical depression, which is likely to bring quite a bit of rain. Pattaya's reservoirs can certainly use it, but Bangkok and the north have already had so much rain that a great deal of damage has resulted. If Thailand is lucky, the storm might take a turn to the south and hit south of Bangkok.

As further weather details come in, they will be posted. We have already had warnings about major storms that, at least around Pattaya, were a big nothing, but it is always a mistake to be complacent and unprepared.

gerefan

Re: Super Typhoon Goni

Post by gerefan »

Tropical storms in this part of the world turn to the right. I doubt it will affect Bangers. If anything it will turn after passing the Philippines.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:19 am
Tropical storms in this part of the world turn to the right.
Be that as it may, this is the current projected path:

The typhoon has made landfall in the Philippines. See: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/31/worl ... dates.html

I am expecting heavy rains generated by the typhoon by the end of the week. Maybe it is already happening. Yesterday Pattaya experienced a torrential rain in the afternoon. I don't know whether that rain had anything to do with the typhoon, but I'm expecting similar weather.

Like I said, it is a mistake to be complacent. Having lived in Florida before retiring to Thailand, I've been through enough hurricanes to know better than to be complacent. I intend to be prepared, including prepared for loss of electricity, very heavy rains, flooding, possible loss of mobile phone, internet, and potential wind damage, especially since this is already the strongest storm since 2013. I hope none of that happens, but if it does I, for one, will be ready.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Fortunately the storm only skirted Manila. Now it is on it's way to Vietnam and Cambodia. It will likely make landfall at some point on Thursday, November 5. It appears as if it will miss Thailand entirely, although don't let the map fool you. The rain bands can extend for hundreds of miles, so I would still be prepared for torrential rains, flooding, and landslides that may result.

By the time it reaches the Vietnam-Cambodia border it's strength is expected to be downgraded to a tropical depression, which means heavy rains, but probably not greatly damaging winds. I believe the storm will dissipate as it continues across Cambodia.