When the Covid-19 vaccine gets to Thailand ...

Anything and everything about Thailand
Daleinpattaya

When the Covid-19 vaccine gets to Thailand ...

Post by Daleinpattaya »

... one would assume it will be free for Thais... with the ubiquitous double pricing system, I wonder how much it will cost for farangs??
Gaybutton

Re: When the Covid-19 vaccine gets to Thailand ...

Post by Gaybutton »

Daleinpattaya wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:14 am I wonder how much it will cost for farangs??
My guess is the farang price will be the same as the Thai price. The current trend is eliminating the dual pricing. Also, the reason for the vaccine is to prevent the spread of the disease. It would make no sense to make it difficult for farang to get the vaccine.

I think it is premature to be concerned about the price of the vaccine until a vaccine at least exists and is available.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I'm curious if you (anyone) will take the vaccine. Or, more accurately, what will it take to make you feel secure to subject yourself to the injection? Will you take it as soon as it is available, will you wait to see how others react, will you want to see other countries distribute it first, etc.?
traveller123

Post by traveller123 »

If the situation in Thailand remains the same that is no or few internally transmitted infections I would wait to see reports from countries introducing the same vaccine.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:03 am I'm curious if you (anyone) will take the vaccine.
For me, I would take it as soon as it becomes available. Why not? Maybe it will work and maybe it won't, but I don't see any reason not to try it. I wouldn't change my precautions until it is proven, but I doubt I would change my precautions or become complacent whether proven or not. Unless there is some harm that I'm overlooking, I'll be glad to be first in line to try it.
Jun

Post by Jun »

RichLB wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:03 am I'm curious if you (anyone) will take the vaccine. Or, more accurately, what will it take to make you feel secure to subject yourself to the injection? Will you take it as soon as it is available, will you wait to see how others react, will you want to see other countries distribute it first, etc.?
Any vaccine developed in a genuinely democratic country will be subjected to large scale double blind trials and the results will be published.
I'd be likely to have a look at the results and take the vaccine as soon as possible.

Any risks from the vaccine are likely to be dramatically lower than the risks from no vaccination. Comparing the risks of Covid v the vaccine, I can't understand why anyone of a certain age wouldn't take the vaccine. That's assuming it's a vaccine that's been through a transparent approvals process.
On the other hand, if Thailand offers a vaccine from somewhere like China, perhaps some would be more careful, due to lack of transparency with the approvals process.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

CNN is still reporting the Oxford/ Astra Zenica vaccine as being paused.
They don't mention that it is only paused in the U.S. It paused for only a few days in all testing countries and was resumed (except U.S.) when it was revealed that the deceased Brazilian patient had been given the placebo.
And news today that it is proving in phase 3 testing as very effective in protecting against future infections.
Oxford has insisted that the vaccine will be provided at a no-profit policy whilst the pandemic lasts. Let us hope that all countries follow the same policy for their vaccines.
Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

I would listen closely to my go-to doctor at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya.... has been my cardiologist for nearly 20 years and knows me inside out. One issue that I wonder about is traveling to countries that will likely require proof of vaccination before entry.
Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

Simply for information purposes, I post the following from a New York Times daily newsletter that I receive. Naturally refers to USA, but I think relevant to this discussion.

"Once Americans begin taking vaccines for the coronavirus, government researchers will face a monumental task: monitoring the health of millions of Americans to look for potential problems and side effects.

By sheer chance, thousands of vaccinated people will have heart attacks, strokes and other illnesses shortly after being injected. Determining if those ailments were triggered by a vaccine will require a sophisticated, highly coordinated effort by federal and state agencies, hospitals and drug makers. And any issues or problems that arise will need to be clearly communicated to a distrustful public that is awash in disinformation.

So far, plans to track the different vaccines are fragmented. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Immunization Safety Office will track up to 20 million health care workers and other essential workers who are expected to get the first batch of authorized vaccines. The F.D.A. plans to look at electronic health records and insurance claims for patterns and analyze data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to track people over 65. Other systems to track vaccines also have their limits.

“We’re behind the eight ball,” said Daniel Salmon, who served as the director of vaccine safety in that office from 2007 to 2012, overseeing coordination during the H1N1 flu pandemic. “We don’t even know who’s in charge.” "
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Daleinpattaya wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:29 am from a New York Times daily newsletter
Nothing in the article worries me. I don't recall ever hearing about an unusually large number of deaths after vaccinations. I would still get the vaccine and hope I'll make it at least until the next Thursday.