Latest advice travelling from Thailand to the UK

Anything and everything about Thailand
whitedesire

Latest advice travelling from Thailand to the UK

Post by whitedesire »

... is that you do not have to quarantine coming back from Thailand to England and Scotland from Saturday, I don't know whether rules have changed for travelling TO Thailand, probably not. This is hot off the press as of 6pm Thursday 17 September. I've put UK in the heading, its actually England and Scotland, as you probably know, Scotland, NI and Wales have their own rules.
Jun

Re: Latest advice travelling from Thailand to the UK

Post by Jun »

The UK rules were to quarantine at home, which would have been only slightly inconvenient for me. Anyway, even that problem is removed now.

All we need is the UK to Thailand leg of the trip to be fixed.

Removing quarantine is too much to ask for at present, considering the disparity in infection rastes.
However 14 days in a fairly priced quarantine establisment and no additional dumb restrictions is something I could hope for. If they really want tourists back.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

whitedesire wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:07 am I don't know whether rules have changed for travelling TO Thailand
To the best of my knowledge nothing has changed.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Friday. In today's papers, rumours of a two week lockdown coming. Maybe just scare tactics from the government.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:53 am To the best of my knowledge nothing has changed.
I think they are 2 completely separate and unrelated policy decisions.

The UK seems to base it's quarantine exemption list on infection data for the other country, requiring low infections and some level of trust in the data for the other country. Which is probably why visitors to the UK from China are not except from quarantine at present.
The UK is not applying reciprocal rules for quarantine, unlike France (for example). In circumstances where one country has a much higher infection rate than the other, tit for tat policy making is childish & inappropriate in my opinion.

What Thailand decides will be a separate matter. Obviously if they have a quarantine policy, they have to keep it in place for the UK which has rising infection rates. I see no need for significant additional restrictions on visitors to Thailand beyond that.