New traffic fines and prices

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

New traffic fines and prices

Post by Gaybutton »

Highlights of new traffic fines released by the Royal Thai Police

By Adam Judd

Thursday, 27 August 2020

The following is a list of new traffic fines released by the Royal Thai Police in the Royal Gazette yesterday for violations of the Land Traffic Act of 1979.

The full list can be found by clicking here, however it is in Thai and 26 pages long: http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/ ... T_0009.PDF

Here is a list of some of the highlights:

Vehicles emitting excessive noise and fumes/pollution-1000 baht

Taxi drivers failing to take customers to a destination by the fastest route or not taking them all the way-1000 baht

Driving without a drivers license-200 baht

Reckless driving-400 baht

Breaking the speed limit-500 baht

Failure to stop or move out of the way for an ambulance or other emergency vehicle-400 baht

Disobeying traffic lights-500 baht

Parking or leaving your vehicle to obstruct traffic-500 baht

No license plate-500 baht

Failure to obey road signs-500 baht

The Pattaya News notes that critics online believe the fines are too low and are not punitive enough to drive real change in terms of changing driving behaviors.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/08/27/h ... ai-police/
Gaybutton

Re: New traffic fines and prices

Post by Gaybutton »

I too think the fines are nowhere near punitive enough to change the poor driving habits. Besides, since it is rare to see the police out there enforcing much of anything, the odds are greatly in favor of violators not getting caught. Does anyone really think Thai drivers will suddenly start obeying the rules?

Also, unless there is loss in translation, some of this seems awfully vague. For example, "Parking or leaving your vehicle to obstruct traffic-500 baht". What, exactly does that mean? Putting an end to double parking, which is so common here? No objection from me to that - if they actually bother to enforce it.

"Taxi drivers failing to take customers to a destination by the fastest route". What do they mean by fastest route? Fastest in terms of time or fastest in terms of distance? And how would someone unfamiliar with the area even know, let alone want to bother going through the motions and inconvenience of reporting it to the police?

I wonder what's on the rest of those 26 pages of violations? Sorry, but I'm not wading through 26 pages of it, trying to translate it all. Feel free to copy and paste it into Google Translate or something.

My opinion - none of this is going to do a thing to reduce accidents, intentional violations, deaths, or any other traffic problems. And unless the article simply did not include it on their list, how come not even a mention about driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:32 pm Driving without a drivers license-200 baht
Arguably, in some countries, the most serious of offences.

Here in the UK it’s £1000 (40,000 baht) fine and, if caught without insurance as well, (usually the case) it is £5000 (200,000 baht).

So in Thailand it is only 200 baht (£5). Madness.

How many deaths are caused by untrained, untested, and thus uninsured drivers?

And they went stir crazy over one, yes ONE case of Covid 19 in Rayong...

As for parking. How many Traffic Wardens do you see in Thailand?

TIT.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:32 am So in Thailand it is only 200 baht (£5). Madness.

How many deaths are caused by untrained, untested, and thus uninsured drivers?
It's worse than that. Part of the madness includes far too many irresponsible parents who think nothing of letting their children, who are obviously nowhere near old enough to drive legally, drive motorbikes. I see that all the time, virtually everywhere - and I don't recall ever seeing police doing anything about it.

In my opinion the parents who permit that ought to be fined - heavily fined - far more than 200 baht or whatever paltry sum it would be. Kids driving motorbikes are not only a danger to themselves, but also to everyone else trying to drive on the roads.

Of course, many of those child motorbike drivers are driving much more safely than a lot of adults do.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Paying traffic fines becomes convenient

Nov 28, 2020

The Royal Gazette website on Thursday published a Royal Thai Police announcement detailing how and where motorists can pay their traffic fines.

The announcement, signed by National Police chief Pol General Suwat Chaenyodsuk, stipulates that motorists who receive a traffic ticket must pay the fine within the specified date at the following:

• Police station in the area where the ticket was issued

• Any other police station in the country

• Via money order or bank draft made to the National Police chief with a copy sent to the police station specified in the ticket

• Electronically via credit card or any other method at the following venues:

Bank

Automatic teller machine (ATM)

Payment counter

Other venues that allow access to electronic transactions.

In case the ticket does not specify the amount that must be paid, motorists can pay the amount specified for each traffic offence listed in the announcement.

The case will be considered closed once motorists pay their fine via the methods and venues specified in the announcement.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398712