Thai Driving License - Banglamung LTO - Process

Anything and everything about Thailand
2lz2p

Thai Driving License - Banglamung LTO - Process

Post by 2lz2p »

The person with the Pattaya City Expats Club went to the Banglamung land Transport Office this past Monday to ask what their current process is for foreigners wanting to renew their Thai driving license. Apparently, for the time being, the following is their process:

1. First visit - have completed documents

2. Documents checked, LTO keeps the documents and gives you a ticket with a queue number and date & time (10am or 2pm) for next visit - date for next visit will depend on number ahead of you as the number of foreigners processed for license is limited to 20 per day - thus he recommends early arrival for first visit

3. Second visit on designated date and time - provide Queue ticket - Given eye test and issuance of license

He didn't mention whether they are still giving the reaction test (hit the brake on the red light) or having to view the one hour video [in the past, they sometimes didn't require you stay to watch the full video]

Gaybutton

Re: Thai Driving License - Banglamung LTO - Process

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:59 am
2. Documents checked, LTO keeps the documents and gives you a ticket with a queue number and date & time (10am or 2pm) for next visit - date for next visit will depend on number ahead of you as the number of foreigners processed for license is limited to 20 per day - thus he recommends early arrival for first visit
Thank you for this information. This seems like another one where it would be best to get started at least a month in advance.

Did he happen to mention whether the medical certificate and residency certificate are still required?

2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

He mentioned that the PCEC website information on documents required was still correct. It notes the Residency Certificate is required for all foreigners unless they have a Work Permit that shows their address. It also notes that the Medical Certificate is required for the 2 year license and first 5 year license - not needed for renewal of 5 year license. Here is URL for their page on documents needed:http://pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats ... cklist.pdf

2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

I just read a posting on Thaivisa.com from someone who went to Banglamung LTO which confirms the procedure. He also mentioned there were two lines, one for foreigners and one for Thais. He also recommended you get there early and said the wait in line can be about an hour and a half. Further, after getting his appointment date for about 6 weeks later, he also took time to do his road tax. He said this took about 15 minutes and when he left, about 10:30am, there were no queues as the LTO had apparently closed up their intake for the day.

aussie

Post by aussie »

I applied for the 2 year car licence earlier this week at Banglamung LTO. I arrived at 730am, my ticket number was 78 and after presenting my documents outside the building and making a return appointment I left at 1015am. At that time there were only 10 farangs in the queue so maybe I should have arrived later.

I have an International driver's licence and was told I only need to do the reflex test when I return in August. The staff were very polite and I was happy it was not a hot or rainy day as the process is painfully slow. At least two desks instead of one to process the farang applications is needed.