Traveling to Thailand - Mission Impossible

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Traveling to Thailand - Mission Impossible

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 pm
It seems as if you are trying to convince yourself rather than me.
I don't need to comvince anyone, but let's try this one more time:

The bars are shut in Pattaya, but the bars are shut at home as well.

Here is warm and sunny, the UK is not.
Hiring a cute lad on Grindr here is way easier than at home.
Here the coffee shops, restaurants, beach and other shops are open. The UK has another lockdown, whereas here I'm merely locked into they province. Within the province, I can pretty much do everything I want to. Incidentally, the delightful young Thai graduate who visited this evening is still adamant that I can travel to places like Phuket at present.

Where would you rather be ? Thailand or the UK (in January). If it's the UK, why ?

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:20 am
Where would you rather be ? Thailand or the UK (in January).
If you're putting it like that, my answer would be neither one of them. I didn't know Thailand or the UK are the only choices . . .

As for traveling to Phuket, go ahead. Try it. Let us know how great it is there too.

Don't get me wrong. As an expat resident I still absolutely love it here. But looking at it from the standpoint of planning a holiday destination under the present circumstances, I would say no way.

Jun

Post by Jun »

Where do you recommend people go to ?

Most alternative countries are either closed or have high rates of covid infection. Cambodia is quite interesting, but It's necessary to get a business visa to go there.
Whilst a couple of people on various forums peddle doom and gloom, in all seasons,, I prefer to take a more positive view and take the best available option. I got the map out, looked at all the options and ended up with a very small short list.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:42 am
Why does it have to be Asia at all? You were talking about where to go to get away from UK winter weather. While it is winter in the UK and Europe, below the equator now it is summer. Seems to me there are all kinds of places to go ranging from South America to Australia.

If I were looking for a warm weather holiday, under present circumstances that's where I'd be looking, but not Thailand.

If you still think traveling to Pattaya is a good idea, I suggest seeing the latest video on the "Headline News" topic, but it's a rather moot point now. Nobody will be permitted in or out of Pattaya without that travel pass - and getting it is not easy. A holiday in Pattaya will not be sufficient reason to be granted the pass and now you also need the pass if you need to go from Pattaya to the airport.

gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:49 am
Jun wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:42 am
Seems to me there are all kinds of places to go ranging from South America to Australia.

Sorry disagree. South America has one of the worst Covid figures on the planet.no go...for me.

Australia (and New Zealand) borders have been closed for many months. No go areas

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:55 pm
Australia (and New Zealand) borders have been closed for many months. No go areas
Tahiti? Antarctica (well, that's below the equator isn't it)? Guam? Samoa? Mar a Lago?

Personally, and I know I'll have plenty of disagreement, for the time being I think it is better to save your money, just stay home, and plan traveling once all this is finally over - and with the money you saved then have a real holiday, which is what I suspect most are doing anyway.

In any case, as I said, right now because of the travel pass requirement a trip to Pattaya is out of the question, even if you are already somewhere else in Thailand.

Jun

Post by Jun »

gerefan wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:55 pm
Sorry disagree. South America has one of the worst Covid figures on the planet.no go...for me.

Exactly. Most of the alternative are closed or have worse covid problems. I did look into the alternatives before coming here. The best option were Thailand and Cambodia, with the latter requiring a business visa.
I wouldn't go to Brazil without having a vaccine or antibodies.
Australia is closed.
The Canary islands would have fewer attractions than here and probably more covid. Spanish guys tend to be big and hairy.

So far I'm very happy with the decision to come here. If they drastically increase restrictions next week, in time I might change my mind.