Traveling to Thailand - Mission Impossible

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Traveling to Thailand - Mission Impossible

Post by Gaybutton »

jimnbkk wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:03 am It's saying that it does not expect international air travel to resume until 2023 and maybe not until 2025.
I hope they are wrong about that and you will be able to make that trip this year. I'm guessing they might mean regularly scheduled flights as before Covid rather than no flights at all. Whatever the airlines do, I would think it is going to depend on whether they are making money or losing money.

If that is the way it is going to be, and if Thailand wants high foreign tourist numbers again, but airlines that had always had service to Thailand won't provide that service, then they better talk to Thai Airways about scheduling flights to get people here and home - whether they are making money on those flights or not.

Then again, until 2023 or 2025, there might not be all that much going on in Pattaya for people to come to - assuming the bar scene even survives. I just wonder how many gay farang are going to plan expensive trips to Thailand, under Covid prevention rules, to go to the few go-go bars and the beer bars that are currently open.

I've been saying the same thing for years, and so far before Covid and also now, it's been falling on deaf ears. If the bars want to survive and get good customer numbers, they need to provide incentives to attract customers. At the moment, I am not impressed.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Another blow. Thai Airways is laying off 395 pilots as part of their plan to help the airline survive. Obviously that means fewer flights. The article does not say whether that will affect international flights, but if it does, then that will make it even more difficult getting to and from Thailand, along with fewer available domestic flights. The fact they are grounding mainly jumbo jets does not bode well for international flights.

If by any chance you have booked a flight on Thai Airways, you might want to find out if your flight is affected.

THAI grounds aircraft, lays off 395 pilots as part of rehab plan

Feb 8, 2021

Thai Airways (THAI) has decided to ground three kind of aircraft in its fleet, namely Airbus A-330-300, Airbus 380 and Boeing 747, as part of its rehabilitation plan.

The national carrier explained that this decision was made based on the current and expected situation of the airline industry, which has been hit hard by the Covid-19 outbreak.

The airline also plans to bring the number of pilots in its workforce down to 905, and to achieve this it is considering laying off 395 pilots. Thai Airways said it does not plan to hire more pilots between 2021 and 2022.

The airline has also called on aircraft lessors, engine manufacturers and service companies to reduce their charges.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30402388
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

If you're going to try to travel to Thailand in the foreseeable future, you will need a smartphone. Just another addition to the list of requirements.

I'm waiting to see the inevitable questions and confusion. What if my phone is lost, stolen, or breaks down? Why can't I use the Mor Chana app instead? Who monitors this and what information do they collect? Whaddya mean this doesn't infringe on my right to privacy? Who checks if I have the app and have it turned on? What if I turn it off?

I have no answers for any of those.
___________________________________________________________________________________

Foreign tourists are now required to download ‘Thailand Plus’ mobile application prior to arrival

By Adam Judd

25 February 2021

The following is a press release from the Thai Tourism Authority. Their statements and opinions are their own.

Bangkok, 25 February 2021 – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like to advise all foreign tourists who have received the Certificate of Entry (COE) documentation to Thailand that they are now required to download the ThailandPlus application prior to arrival to use when traveling around the country.

After downloading the ThailandPlus application from the Google Play Store or Apple App Store, travelers are required to enable the GPS and accept the privacy policy. After that, a recent (not more than one-month-old) profile photo needs to be uploaded before inputting the COE number and reference ID obtained from the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate-General. Once all data is verified as correct, the system will direct travelers to the ‘QR code’ page where they can begin using ‎the application.

Travelers will need to keep the ThailandPlus application on all the time, as they move to different locations around the country. Businesses throughout Thailand prominently display QR codes that are required for check-in and check-out scanning. This includes all types of accommodation, restaurants, shopping centers, and tourism attractions, to mention just a few examples.

In the event that travelers are in close contact with any confirmed COVID-19 cases, they will be notified and offered recommendations.

All information collected is only used for public health purposes and is monitored in a way that does not infringe on a visitor’s right to privacy.

ThailandPlus is the evolution of Thailand’s contract tracing efforts that started last year with the ‘Thai Chana’ and ‘Mor Chana’ applications. All three use GPS and Bluetooth to detect locations visited via a mobile phone combined with QR code scanning that records a traveler’s journey.

First announced in November last year, the ThailandPlus application was developed under collaboration between the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society, the Prime Minister’s Office, and the Digital Government Development Agency (Public Organisation). ‎ThailandPlus is available for download in both the Apple App Store and Google Play or by visiting https://thailandplus.in.th/en/download/

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/02/25/f ... o-arrival/
gera

Post by gera »

Thailand poised to introduce vaccine passports for tourists.
https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30403182
jimnbkk
Location: Usually Arlington, VA when I cannot be in Thailand.

Post by jimnbkk »

I just read something in Pattaya News about possible 'reduction in quarantine' requirements to 7 days for travellers that had a proof of vaccination certificate. This sounded good until I got to the end where it said that the certificate (undescribed) would have to have been issued from 14 days to 3 months prior to travel. So, mine was issued on 9 February. so if I finally am able to visit Thailand again in, say October, my certificate is no longer valid? Sounds like a Catch 22 situation to me! I don't necessarily mind getting tested after i arrive, but do they expect a re-vaccination before I travel in October? I think this needs a lot more explanation before any opening of the country for tourists is permitted.
Jun

Post by Jun »

jimnbkk wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:09 pm I just read something in Pattaya News about possible 'reduction in quarantine' requirements to 7 days for travellers that had a proof of vaccination certificate. This sounded good until I got to the end where it said that the certificate (undescribed) would have to have been issued from 14 days to 3 months prior to travel. So, mine was issued on 9 February. so if I finally am able to visit Thailand again in, say October, my certificate is no longer valid?
I wouldn't worry about this.
What's reported in certain news outlets ought to be considered speculative, incomplete and unlikely to match what happens. Also, this newspaper report makes no sense whatsoever, since vaccines are effective for more than 3 months.
Whereas the current technical requirements for entering Thailand do make sense. So they can apply logic (even if the paperwork could be rationalized).

In 2020, I spent weeks following all the nonsense about the Special Tourist Visa.
Then ChristianPFC linked to some embassy website showing we could now apply for normal visas, which was much easier. I don't recall reading about that in these "news" websites.

My recommendation is to monitor what actually happens, including on embassy websites. Then be ready to act decisively when a reasonable set of terms are announced.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

UK visitors to Thailand facing huge bureaucracy in both countries

By Barry Kenyon

March 14, 2021

Although both Thai and British government sources express confidence in the future of international travel and tourism, the wannabe visitor to the Land of Smiles must provide a veritable avalanche of documentation and endure restrictive delays in both countries.

The UK authorities have declared overseas leisure travel to be “illegal” until further notice, with mid-May as the earliest possible relief date. Potential travellers must show at UK departure points a completed form why the journey is absolutely necessary for health, work, study or compassionate reasons. They are advised to carry some documentary evidence, usually an official letter, to justify breaking the travel lockdown.

Brits then returning to UK after their vital journey must complete a passenger locator form, show proof of a recent negative Covid-19 check and self-isolate for a further 10 days with two supplementary coronavirus tests. Those returning from some countries in Latin America and Africa must separately undergo supervised quarantine at their own expense.

Meanwhile, Brits booking overseas holidays for the summer are being warned that cancelled trips may not easily result in quick insurance refunds. The Association of British Travel Agents told BBC news that package tourists would be covered but would most likely experience delays in the payout schedule.

Airlines UK has warned potential travellers that vouchers offering alternative flights would be the preferred method of compensation. Those customers paying by credit card appear to be better safeguarded than those using a debit version, but the subject is tinged with ambiguity with frequent complaints to the Civil Aviation Authority.

Nobody in UK can travel to Thailand without the express permission of the London-based Thai embassy which issues a certificate of entry. The embassy website is comprehensive as it wades through the complex requirements of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. All potential visitors need recent Covid tests and Covid-related insurance and must pay in advance for the 14-days hotel quarantine after landing.

But the detail varies according to the specific visa applied for. Some categories require general medical insurance in addition to a Covid policy and some do not. Some require proof of address in Thailand post-quarantine but not all. Some require proof of substantial cash in UK bank accounts, others a regular income, still others only a token amount. What is incontrovertible is the sheer stack of paperwork required. Not to mention the considerable expense involved for the applicant.

Thai authorities now also require foreign visitors to download and install on their mobile phones pre-departure the Thailand Plus app. This is a contact tracing device which uses GPS and Bluetooth data to detect user locations, combined with check-in records via QR code-scanning. The health ministry in Bangkok says the app minimizes the possibility of the user being personally identified.

Meanwhile, the Thai government is expected in May or June to begin signing vaccine passport deals with other countries which have low-incidence of the dread disease and have begun vaccination programs of their own. As ever the details are hazy, but the most likely candidates for early recognition are China and other selected Asian countries. So far, about 50,000 people have been vaccinated in Thailand under the Mor Phrom (The Doctor is Ready) scheme.

How quickly the huge bureaucracies now in place to vet and monitor all British visitors to Thailand are dismantled remains to be seen. Much will undoubtedly depend on how quickly vaccination rollouts proceed in both countries and how effective they are against new variants which obstinately keep appearing in the global context. In other words, the pesky virus will determine the future of international travel. Thailand is certainly no exception.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ies-347092
gera

Post by gera »

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/03/13/t ... -measures/
This is great news. Note that , for example, Korean airlines has regular flights between US destinations and Seoul. Combined with Thai airways flight Seoul Bkk gives a very reasonable option. i would not pay much attention to the current noise. Things may or may not drastically improve due to massive vaccination campaign in US and UK. i expect resurgence of cases in Thailand during rainy season etc. We need to wait a couple of months to see what is a global pandemic evolution. Hopefully by the end of this period the mission will become possible.
gera

Post by gera »

Thailand starts reducing quarantine requirements starting April 1. As I said in one of my previous posts, I do not think it is a good idea at the moment.
Nevertheless (speaking only for myself), i just got second shot of Pfizer Biontech vaccine and hopefully will be able to get the required vaccine certificate.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... om-april-1
Jun

Post by Jun »

Thailand is reducing quarantine to "10 days".
They have been testing people for covid on day 9 of quarantine since mid-December, so there ought to be plenty of data about infection rates amongst incoming visitors. So this could be a rational decision backed up by data carefully collected over 3 months.

Also, increasing the number of activities allowed in quarantine should make it a more palatable experience. However, it seems risky to allow more mixing of people in quarantine.
If people are allowed to mix more, then what happens if someone in a hotel fails a covid test ?
Will everyone else have their quarantine extended ?
Of course, a lot depends on the small print. Under the previous quarantine regime, people were allowed out of their rooms to exercise in an outdoor area, but only on day 7 and after passing a covid test and for 45 minutes per day. If the increased freedom still has such restrictions, I would think it's fairly low risk.