Bar observations

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Re: Bar observations

Post by Up2u »

A quick walk through the Jomtien Complex tonight revealed the new canopy, few customers, many bored, unexciting boys. There simply are not enough expats in Pattaya for these bars to be profitable. I anticipate more closures unless landlords can be more sympathic with the rent.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Up2u wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:33 pm A quick walk through..... many bored, unexciting boys....
Either your criteria for "exciting" is not the same as mine or you did not give it enough sampling time. I recently stayed for a week at VT7 and walked through the complex or went to one of the bars every night. I found or noticed something 'exciting" about 2/3 of the time (ball park math) but never very busy at anytime.

One night late all the boys at the Double Shot Bar had their shirts off. Exciting.

One new nice bar, BoBo, over by Dick's Cafe. The owner's nick name, BoBo, a friendly German Swiss guy. Good drinks, full bar, not expensive, and friendly hosts. One is a former Eros boy.

The French bakery on the corner now has more menu items. Breakfast, lunch or dinner.
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Here are some updates about the bars in Boyztown and Sunee

Boyztown and the Pattayaland sois

Boyztown is very dark and mostly deserted. They don't even bother to turn on the lights in the Boyztown-sign other than on Fridays and Saturdays.

BoysBoyzBoyz and the BoyzBoyzBoyz disco - Only open on Fridays and Saturdays. Other days closed. They have a special price of 200 baht per customer drink nowadays. Showtime 22:30.

Castro bar - Seems only open on Fridays and Saturdays. Showtime 22:30.

Toyboys - Closed. No info on if or when they will ever reopen.

Serene bar - Closed. No info on if or when they will ever reopen.

Cupidol - Open daily but no longer a gogo bar. A few waiters and fully dressed boys usually sit on the patio outside. Empty inside every time I´ve had a look.

Panorama - Open.

Dreamboyz - Customer- and boydrinks 220 baht. Off-fee 500 baht. No shows.

X-boys - Customer drinks 280 baht. Boydrinks 300 baht. Off-fee 500 baht. One show nightly at 10 pm.

A-bomb - Customer- and boy drinks 220 baht. Off-fee 500 baht. No shows.

The two boy massage places, Scandic and Paradise spa, are still open with low number of boys.

Sunee plaza

Nice boys - Usually about 10-15 boys every night. A couple of new boys have started working there. Customer- and boy drink 200 baht. Off-fee 400 baht.

Powerboys - Never reopened after the lockdown and a reliable source says it has no plan to ever reopen.

Forest house bar - Closed forever.

Diamond bar - Open

Euroboys - Has reopened

The One bar - Open on new location where the old thaifood restaurant was, next to Euroboys. The old Goodboys/Krazy dragon-soi where it was before, is now in complete darkness.

Green chairs bar - Open

Rainbow bar - Did not reopen after lockdown. Closed forever?

Elephant hotel with its hotel bar - Closed forever

Double shot - Closed and moved to Jomtien complex

Enjoy music bar and Eden bar has the same owner and staff as Diamond bar. They have had Eden opened a few nights sometimes. Enjoy music bar tough has rarely been open at all ever since it´s start so it can be considered as closed forever.

Winnerboys - Seems to be doing ok. Just recently some boys returned to work from Isaan and they also have a couple of new boys. Around 10 boys every night. Customer drinks 99 baht. Boy drink 145 baht. Off-fee 400 baht all night.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:44 pm Here are some updates about the bars in Boyztown and Sunee
Thank you for the detailed report. I believe either one of two things are going to happen:

1. The Pattaya gay scene, at least in Boyztown and Sunee Plaza is gone forever.

2. Once tourism reopens, the gay scene slate that we all know is essentially wiped clean and a resurrection and a whole new gay scene will emerge to replace it.

That's the way I see it. I certainly hope the second choice will be what happens. I believe that is what will happen. It may take months or even years, but I believe the gay scene will return and, hopefully, will be even better than it ever was. A gay scene phoenix will rise from the ashes.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:19 am
SP55 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:44 pm Here are some updates about the bars in Boyztown and Sunee
1. The Pattaya gay scene, at least in Boyztown and Sunee Plaza is gone forever.
Well going by SP 55’s review it seems that all the BT bars are operating, albeit on a reduced programme, except for Toyboys and Serene.

Presumably, when we are able to return, those bars will reopen 7 days a week leaving just the other two in doubt.

That wouldn’t spell the end of Boyztown as I see it.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

As for Sunee Plaza area, both Nice Boys and Winner Bar are open 7 days/week
And Diamond Bar, Euro Bar, One Bar and Green Bar are also open with reduced customers.
Regrettably, most of the gay expats are spending their time and money in Jomtien Complex.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:47 pm Regrettably, most of the gay expats are spending their time and money in Jomtien Complex.
I'm glad at least some of the gay scene is still open. I hope it can stay that way, but the problem is the few gay farang present at all in Thailand keep becoming fewer.

After the end of the visa amnesty, I'm wondering how many gay farang, other than expats on the retirement visa, will be left in Thailand at all. Will the numbers be enough to sustain the gay scene until tourism opens again? And even when tourism does open, how many gay farang will go to Thailand and how soon? I keep thinking about how badly off the gay scene, at least in Pattaya, had become even before the Covid-19 virus.

Pattaya will be hosting a number of events to attract domestic tourism. None, however, have anything to do with the gay venues, at least not directly.

What will things be like a year from now?
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Up2u wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:33 pm A quick walk through the Jomtien Complex tonight revealed the new canopy, few customers, many bored, unexciting boys.
I didn't write anything about Jomtien complex because what Up2u wrote I agree with totally and really not have much to add. The new roof over the complex makes you feel that you are sitting in a hangar for airplane repairs or something like that.

I think we will see more bars closing in the coming months. But I believe Sunee will survive because the cheap rents there, that have also been cut to half now during covid-19 crisis by the landlord so even more cheap now.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Wait until there is a heavy downpour on that hangar roof. You can't hear yourself think, let alone whisper sweet words into his ear.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

SP55 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:24 pm I didn't write anything about Jomtien complex because what Up2u wrote I agree with totally and really not have much to add.
I would add that Double Shot is a nice addition to the Complex and the boys (mostly Cambodian) do take their shirts off as noted by Trongpai. I agree we'll see more closures unless the landlord helps with the rent. Wish we could say we see the light at the end of the tunnel.