Govt offers July 27 as first compensation for Songkran

Anything and everything about Thailand
Bangkokian

Govt offers July 27 as first compensation for Songkran

Post by Bangkokian »

This year’s Songkran holidays will be tied in with His Majesty’s birthday, government spokesperson Narumon Pinyosinwat announced on Monday (June 29).
The holidays will run from July 25 to July 28 (the King’s birthday), with Monday, July 27 marked as the first compensatory holiday for Songkran, which had been cancelled earlier this year due to the pandemic. Decision on compensation for the other two days of the three-day festival is still pending.
The Cabinet has been postponing making a decision on new dates for Songkran holidays in line with measures to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390541

Gaybutton

Re: Govt offers July 27 as first compensation for Songkran

Post by Gaybutton »

From what I am reading, again due to fears of spreading the virus, not to mention the drought - even though the drought seems to be ending - the water splashing part of the holiday will be prohibited.

Also, unlike previous years, the holiday will be celebrated during the same days throughout all of Thailand.

Those you who despise the Songkran water splashing, apparently this year you have nothing to worry about and no need to plan an escape - even if there were anywhere to escape to.

Bangkokian

Re: Govt offers July 27 as first compensation for Songkran

Post by Bangkokian »

Of course this is today's statement.
Tomorrow could be something quite different.
This govervment does more u-turns than Trump and Boris together.
I'm sure that I read something like this a couple of months ago, only for it to be withdrawn.