Planning a trip to Cambodia? Better read this first

Anything and everything about Thailand
a447

Re: Planning a trip to Cambodia? Better read this first

Post by a447 »

When I paid for my visa on arrival in Phnom Penh I waited in vain for my change. I was just waved on. "Next!"

When I had my phone stolen by a worker at my hotel in Siem Reap I went to the tourist police to get a report so that I could make a claim on my travel insurance. They would not accept my description of what had happened because it involved someone in the hotel and they would have to investigate. I was told to change my story. So I said I was pick-pocketed in town. No go, because again, they would have to look for the alleged pickpocket. So I told them to make up a story that was acceptable to them.

I went back 3 days later to collect the report and they demanded a "donation" before they would hand it over.

So you would have to be prepared to forfeit some, if not all, of the $3000.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

a447 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:02 pm So you would have to be prepared to forfeit some, if not all, of the $3000.
My guess is most likely all. If they can come up with reasons not to give any of it back and pocket however much they can, three guesses what they're likely to do. I can't remember anything that ever was more predictable. If they refuse to give it back, what can you do about it?

There is NO way I would be willing to hand over control of my $3000 to people not exactly well known for their honesty. I believe anyone who actually wants to travel to Cambodia under these circumstances, then the instant you hand over the $3000, consider it gone. And that's if you travel alone. If you travel with a Thai friend, now you get to hand over $6000. Have a good time.

If anyone reading this really does travel to Cambodia and hands over $3000, don't forget to let us know what happens when it's time for you to get it back . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:31 pm My guess is most likely all. If they can come up with reasons not to give any of it back and pocket however much they can, three guesses what they're likely to do. I can't remember anything that ever was more predictable. If they refuse to give it back, what can you do about it?

There is NO way I would be willing to hand over control of my $3000 to people not exactly well known for their honesty.
I agree entirely. As for the "if they can come up with a reason not to give it back", well here's an extract from the original post:
Bangkok Post wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:52 pmThe remainder of the deposit will be returned provided the passenger, and the rest of the people on their flight, have negative test results.
So all they have to do is tell you that you OR another person on the flight has Covid. If they are lying, you can't do a thing about it.

Also, you don't have to read too much before finding examples of customs officials wanting bribes to process your visa on arrival (mostly at land borders). These are not the type of people I would hand $3000 to.

Incidentally, for all 5 trips I've made to Cambodia, I've used their efficient e-visa & managed to enter the country very quickly with that.

I certainly recommend visiting Cambodia, but for anyone who's not been yet, if you have waited over 50 years, it makes sense to wait until they have sensible conditions for entering the country.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:12 pm If they are lying, you can't do a thing about it.
Same if they are telling the truth. You would have no way of knowing. You would only know you can kiss $3000 goodbye.